E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I-Drive - Love It, Hate It or...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 11:50 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

I like the I drive it makes the car much more interesting especially in traffic jams

The thing I hate about the pro nav version is how it seems disconnected from the controller its too slow by any standard. The bus nav that I had in my first E60 was instant to the touch and the sat nav could be programmed within seconds
Old 12-23-2006, 12:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Please see signature
Smile

Originally Posted by my530i' post='370549' date='Dec 23 2006, 05:54 PM
iDrive is good, but execution is worst:
1. If car with CCC, in other words, with Professional Nav, it's freaking slow, and I found it's unacceptable - This is due to CAN bus which is max at 1Mbps, but normally, it's normal transfer rate about 1/4 or 1/3 or that. New generation should be either USB2.0 or Firewires to over come slowness

[ ... ] There is nothing BMW can do with existing E60 CAN bus at the moment. Hopefully, 03/2007 build car will have new bus structure and faster CIP programming.

[ ... ] My non-nav iDrive in my previous 530i was very fast, and I like it's speed very much. I've been told that Nav/CCC in E90 is as fast as E60 non-nav iDrive. Is it true? If that is the case, what is going wrong with E60? Can BMW address that issue with outgoing E60?
I agree, the iDrive is a good idea, but poorly executed.

I test-drove a new E92 with full Nav and I couldn't believe how s-l-o-w the iDrive was in that car - in fact it was so bad I specified an E92 without Nav to avoid iDrive altogegther in my new car.

I really cannot understand why BMW can't put a USB 2.0 interface in the cars to avoid taking a whole day to do a software update. Madness.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:29 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Alpine White, Sport, CWP, L7, Nav. HUD 74 Lotus Europa 41 Waco UPF-7 98 Ventus2b

USB 2.0 mmmmmmmm That would really be easy to hack. Could you imagine the warranty claims after restoring the software to the "before" version.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='370593' date='Dec 23 2006, 08:18 PM
If you can't figure out the iDrive, then you're too damned old.
If the iDrive cannot figure out what I tell it to do, then it's too damned slow
Old 12-23-2006, 01:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

i think its ok.. but i wount even bother trying to teach my mother how to use it, shes not a computer person at all...
suprisingly my father knows how to use it, i was a bit suprised to see he was confident in changing radio stations... so i guess the system is not as complicated as we think, it just takes a little time to understand how the knob works...

what the idrive need is something under the entertainment menu other than radio, i have the small screen, so no tv, and in trafic jams i hope there was some kind of game, that like the tv would close at speed,, what can i say i really get bored in trafic jams...

Originally Posted by upf7' post='370605' date='Dec 24 2006, 12:29 AM
USB 2.0 mmmmmmmm That would really be easy to hack. Could you imagine the warranty claims after restoring the software to the "before" version.
no i dont think it will be an easy hack, even if it could hook up to normal USB port in ur PC, you wont be able to controll it without special software, probably some hardware too, and good luck findin the drivers for that... wont be simple at all, probably even more complicated...
Old 12-23-2006, 02:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='370593' date='Dec 23 2006, 01:18 PM
If you can't figure out the iDrive, then you're too damned old.
Figuring it out is one thing. But, whether or not it is a well executed piece of equipment is another, of course. I put the iDrive right up there iwht the voice command system. I rarely use it because it can't understand what I think is pretty decent rendition of US English. Half the time it can't even understand when I say "yes." And, when I say "dial Betty cell," it invariably replies "audio" and takes me to the audio menu. When I say "dial Betty home," it invariably says "I couldn't understand you." Then, when I repeat, it says "do you want to be connected to Betty home?" Then, I say "yes," and see above. The voice-command system needs to be "adjustable" so it can adapt to one's voice. And on and on. And, then there's the navigation system. Need I say more.

Will I buy a 550i? Probably so. I'll even get nav so I'll have the big screen--so I can split it and have entertainment on one side and something else on the other in living color. I like my 545i a great deal, but I don't care much for its electronics--including, of course, it CIP/PROGMAN updates. Siemens-VDO out to be fired with a Japanese company being hired, IMO.