E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I-drive faults

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 08:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car has developed a few random i-drive glitches recently. When the outside air temperature falls below freezing my radio/cd player sitches itself on and off. This cures itself once the car has been running for 5 minutes or so. I've also experienced a couple of faults with the bluetooth interface. If I loose a call in progress due to a weak signal the car thinks that I'm still connected to the other party and continues to show the call duration timer. No amount of pressing the steering wheel cancel button or call cancel via i-drive will disconnect the call. I have to stop the car and restart the ignition. Last night I had a new twist on this theme. When I ended a call the radio would not come back on. Again I had to stop and restart the car. I called my dealer today but they cannot give me a loan car for two weeks so I will have to live with the issues for a while. I asked about software upgrades but the service receptionist was vague about this. He asked me to make sure that I speak to the technician who will be working on my car when I drop it in to explain my issues to him personally.

Has anyone else suffered similar faults?
Old 03-09-2004, 08:48 AM
Senior Members

the only glitch i've had to date was, whilst motoring on down the ol' motorway, with my busNav on, the screen went blank and bye-bye. A minute later it asked for the Nav DVD (which was in the drive) -- i ejected/inserted it, it asked again, i did it again and then all was well.

hasn't happened since.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:57 AM
Senior Members

What country are you in?
Old 03-09-2004, 09:31 AM
richard

Complaints regarding a blank idrive screen during cold weather were widely disseminated on the web in December but in my case I have no such problem. In Jaunary, in NYC we had 10 degree F temps but my screen was fully operational. Others have spoken of an idrive update to mix this problem. Recently the steering wheel position memory has malfunctioned; no matter what i do, the wheel has a mind of its own at start up.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:05 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by skidster' date='Mar 9 2004, 11:48 AM
the only glitch i've had to date was, whilst motoring on down the ol' motorway, with my busNav on, the screen went blank and bye-bye. A minute later it asked for the Nav DVD (which was in the drive) -- i ejected/inserted it, it asked again, i did it again and then all was well.

hasn't happened since.
Exactly what happened to me once.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:14 PM
Members

ISUK,

The problem you noted had been experienced by others before. I think it is called "I-Drive Flu".
Old 03-10-2004, 12:17 AM
Senior Members

Thanks for the replies. I'm in the UK and have had also had a strange one off glitch with my business nav last week. I chose a destination from my stored address book which the Nav had taken me to on several previous occassions. However on the day in question it came up as an unknown destination. After repeated attempts to get it to accept the destination it finally did but although the screen was active, the arrow display seemed to be acting like a compass instead of a nav guide and no directions were given. The system took over 30 minutes to function properly.

As I originally stated the car is going back to the dealer in two weeks but they were very non-commital on software upgrades. I'll report back on what action they take.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:19 AM
Guest_Iain

I have similar problems with my Bluetooth interface and it is the same on the T610 and the Nokia 6310i, I somehow think they have not got it right...... what exactly is wrong ........I can not get anyone to tell me....thats the problem I am having. My car is 10 days old.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:19 AM
Members

I've had a few wierd things with the bluetooth phone too, I lost a call due to poor signal and then a call with ***** came up and I couldn't get rid of it until I turned the phone off. I've lost a call as well and it looks like the phone has restarted, might be the phone but it's only happened in the car.

Call waiting doesn't seem to work either so I think I'll just have to turn it off.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:46 AM
Senior Members

one thing to remember: Bluetooth, as a protocol and as a carrier, is far from perfect... and the handsets are the same

if you are using a siemens s55 it is pretty tight
but
the full implementation of bluetooth functionality and other aspects added into the software of handsets like the t68i/t610/t630 simply indicates that problems will sometimes occur...

and lost connections, etc are common to bluetooth users, whether to wireless headset, wireless carkits or even pc connections -- sometimes they get dropped. period.

so at least that is not exactly the fault of bmw

Quick Reply: I-drive faults