E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I drive display night time glow

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 04:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all

2004 545i

how do you turn the I drive display completely off for night driving I can turn the display off according to the menu and have set this for use with the steering wheel star button, but all it does is ' not display information' and the back light is still present causing an annoying glow when night driving. even trying to dim the display does not get rid of the glow

ta
Old 05-06-2009, 04:11 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by 3Banana' post='869668' date='May 6 2009, 08:04 AM
Hi all

2004 545i

how do you turn the I drive display completely off for night driving I can turn the display off according to the menu and have set this for use with the steering wheel star button, but all it does is ' not display information' and the back light is still present causing an annoying glow when night driving. even trying to dim the display does not get rid of the glow

ta
When you turn off the screen, there will always be that grayish glow. There is not way of turning it off other than removing the screen and disconnecting the cables
Old 05-06-2009, 04:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

That slight glow will always be there but at least you can turn off the display on your
iDrive knob by pushing down, turning right, and pushing down again....
Old 05-06-2009, 04:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535d M-Sport '06 Plate - Carbon Black - Black Leather - Pro Sat Nav - Logic 7 - HUD - Bluetooth - Privacy Glass - 172M 19" Alloys - Heated Seats - PDC - Adaptive Headlights - Extended Voice Control - Paintshield Extended - M5 Boot Finisher - Bright White LED Internal Lighting - Dension Gateway 500 Ipod/USB/Aux Integration

This won't turn it off totally but if you turn down the back lighting of the instruments using the little wheel next to the light switch it takes the glow down a little. Try it.

Marc
Old 05-06-2009, 06:53 AM
Senior Members

Someone should come up with a DIY on this.... A blind that you can slide over the screen
Old 05-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 3Banana' post='869668' date='May 6 2009, 03:04 PM
Hi all

2004 545i

ta
The reason why it never actually turns off is because of the LCD screen, although it does not consume any energy when turned off, and it is physically turned off, the LCD screen due to its components will always radiate a dark grayish light, I'm afraid there's no proven way to turn it off with out actually disconnecting all the wires to it.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by Darius' post='870017' date='May 6 2009, 02:40 PM
The reason why it never actually turns off is because of the LCD screen, although it does not consume any energy when turned off, and it is physically turned off, the LCD screen due to its components will always radiate a dark grayish light, I'm afraid there's no proven way to turn it off with out actually disconnecting all the wires to it.
The LCD screen on my dad's MB GL 320 can be turned off and the screen does not have that grayish glow. When you turn it iff, it's off.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

you could just place something in front of your iDrive screen if it's too bright for you....
Old 05-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530 Steptronic, Nav, Std Audio w/ single CD, Premium Pkg, BMW Assist, non-working Bluetooth

I've noticed the iDrive glow bothers me outside major cities. In town, there are enough other lights that I don't notice it. I use a no slide pad (thin, kind of sticky rubber pad) in front of the screen to hold my phone or reading glasses. When I'm on a long drive in the countryside, I prop it up to block most of the glow -- seems ok, but it's kind of crude...
Old 05-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='870019' date='May 6 2009, 02:42 PM
The LCD screen on my dad's MB GL 320 can be turned off and the screen does not have that grayish glow. When you turn it iff, it's off.
On my girlfriends lexus her LCD screen adjust automatically from bright to dim by the light sensors.. It also turns off as well.
BMW just likes to have theirs on 24/7

Quick Reply: I drive display night time glow