E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I Drive Dead / Screen needs replacing

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Current Vehicle - 2004 BMW E60 530i - Steptronic – Titanium Silver - iDrive - PDC - Black Dakota Leather– Adaptive Xenon Headlights (auto leveling) – Telescopic Steering – Heated Steering Wheel – Rear Heated Seats – Logic 7
Angry

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2004 530i which I purchased in Feb 2008. On Sunday when I started my car the Idrive screen when blank, then fuzzy and started to do some crazy things. Sometimes it pops back in and you can actually read what the screen says and the I drive features still respond. Steering wheel buttons still function radio, parking senors still beep ....

Here is what happened with the dealership, can anyone help with some advice?

Took the car the dealership today, they did a diagnoses on the I drive to find out the screen is dieing and needs to be replaced. When the vehicle was purchase I also bought a "gold" bumper to bumper warranty from "old republic".
the dealership need to ask for approval to go ahead with the repair ....

However, the old republic is advising the dealership I need to pay for the reprogramming of the I drive unit ... has anyone dealt with a extended warranty company like this?

Next, while my car is at the dealership I asked about activating / retro fitting the bluetooth function, however, it will cost 1 hour labor to reprogram / activate the bluetooth - is this normal? can anyone else reprogram this cars?

Finally, the third problem was the vibration in the steering wheel column, which they did not get authorization to fix because when BMW lubed the steering column the noise / vibration went away.

The total bill was approx $2475, of which I am on the hook for 575 unless I can convince old republic to pay for the reprogramming. NUTS ...

Can someone shed some light on these problems? This was the first time I took the car to the dealership since I bought it.

thanks
Old 09-27-2008, 07:59 AM
Members

My Ride: Current Vehicle - 2004 BMW E60 530i - Steptronic – Titanium Silver - iDrive - PDC - Black Dakota Leather– Adaptive Xenon Headlights (auto leveling) – Telescopic Steering – Heated Steering Wheel – Rear Heated Seats – Logic 7

Anyone have any suggestions / ideas on this one?
Old 09-27-2008, 08:45 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

where do u live??
Old 09-27-2008, 08:56 AM
Members

I can reprogramme cars in the UK, but from the $ in your post I guess you are not ... ?

Regards
Old 09-27-2008, 09:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Titanium Gray/Black Leather 545i, 6SP Manual, Sport Package, Anthracite Maple Wood, Satellite Preparation. H&R coilover suspension, Radenergie 20's

I thought I'ld share my experience with my screen going off. I spilled water in my trunk so the water filled up my sparetire well and soaked the idrive unit thats placed under the sparetires. It cost me $124 US to buy the replacement part from the dealer. Then I just unplugged the old one and replaced it. Then WALLA....it started working again.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg' post='679709' date='Sep 27 2008, 09:45 AM
where do u live??
I am in British Columbia, Canada ....

I am positive I did not spill anything in my trunk, started the car Sunday and the idrive started to react this way ...... did you have any other symptoms .... how long did it last?

thanks
Old 09-27-2008, 09:32 AM
Senior Members

First, given that BMW NA's CPO program doesn't even cover iDrive failures (no idea about whether the BMW importer in your country does, however, but I doubt it), I would think you are pretty lucky to get as much covered as you have reported.

However, since the unit will not function without the reprogramming, I would ask the insurer specifically WHY they are attempting to exclude such coveage.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='679742' date='Sep 27 2008, 10:32 AM
First, given that BMW NA's CPO program doesn't even cover iDrive failures (no idea about whether the BMW importer in your country does, however, but I doubt it), I would think you are pretty lucky to get as much covered as you have reported.

However, since the unit will not function without the reprogramming, I would ask the insurer specifically WHY they are attempting to exclude such coveage.
YAY - I am going to pick up my car from the dealership today. In total the warranty company authorized to replace the idrive screen, pay for the reprogramming for the screen ......

However not to impresses with the dealer SA.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 525ise, Dec 2003, Silver Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Bluetooth, 18'' Runflats, Folding mirrors, Automatic/man box,parking sensers front/rear,latest addition 645ci black saphire, with everthing on, nothing it does not have.

not to put a spaner in the works but had same problem ended up I needed a new battery
Old 10-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Members

Sure it's not that Optic Fiber blah' thingy....

chained together... if a link breaks, everything after that device in the chain.. stops working...

don't remember how it was.... read about it here

Quick Reply: I Drive Dead / Screen needs replacing