E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 03:29 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Silver Gray, Automatic, Navigation, Heads Up Display; Premium Package, Comfort Seats, Logic 7 Sound System 2003 M3, Dakar Yellow, SMG

In the US is it possible to change the i drive default screen, after the safety warning screen, from the menu screen to something else? For example, after hitting the i drive button to "accept" the safety warning, is it possible to have the "map -- direction of travel" be displayed automatically as the next screen instead of the menu screen?
Old 08-29-2005, 06:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

No
Old 08-29-2005, 07:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Gray Dog' date='Aug 29 2005, 07:29 AM
In the US is it possible to change the i drive default screen, after the safety warning screen, from the menu screen to something else?? For example, after hitting the i drive button to "accept" the safety warning, is it possible to have the "map -- direction of travel" be displayed automatically as the next screen instead of the menu screen?
[snapback]164663[/snapback]

Hi Gray Dog - this is exactly what I was after myself! Unfortunately it is not possible (yet, there may be a software update eventually).

What you can do is hold the idrive knob to the right for 3 seconds, and it will go to the screen you want.

cheers

Shi
Old 08-29-2005, 08:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Silver Gray, Automatic, Navigation, Heads Up Display; Premium Package, Comfort Seats, Logic 7 Sound System 2003 M3, Dakar Yellow, SMG

Originally Posted by shiny' date='Aug 29 2005, 11:37 AM
[quote name='Gray Dog' date='Aug 29 2005, 07:29 AM']In the US is it possible to change the i drive default screen, after the safety warning screen, from the menu screen to something else?? For example, after hitting the i drive button to "accept" the safety warning, is it possible to have the "map -- direction of travel" be displayed automatically as the next screen instead of the menu screen?

Hi Gray Dog - this is exactly what I was after myself! Unfortunately it is not possible (yet, there may be a software update eventually).

What you can do is hold the idrive knob to the right for 3 seconds, and it will go to the screen you want.

cheers

Shi
[snapback]164711[/snapback]

Thanks, Shi, for your suggestion. Since I have voice recognition, after I accept the safety warning, I give the voice command "Map direction of travel."

Gray Dog
Old 08-29-2005, 09:55 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Push the button using less energy than holding the button to the right for 3 seconds.

Anyhew, the U.S. software makes the f*cking liar warning shows up, not the idrive screen.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:04 AM
Senior Members

im so glad i have a euro e60. no lawyer induced crap for me!
Old 08-29-2005, 11:03 AM
Members

Also, the whole screen should be the map, i hate having that little square with no use. If the assistant window could control the other functions like climate and entertainment then it wouldnt be so bad.

cheers,
jack
Old 08-29-2005, 11:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Why do they make us acknowledge the warning? Here's why:
(I'm not sure these are true, but they do represent the problem well.)

"STELLA AWARDS"

It's time once again to review the winners of the annual "Stella Awards." The Stella's are named after 81-year-old Stella Liebeck who spilled coffee on herself and successfully sued McDonalds. That case inspired the Stella Awards for the most frivolous successful lawsuits in the United States.

Here are this year's winners:
5th Place tie:
Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas, was awarded $780,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The owners of the store were understandably surprised at the verdict, considering the misbehaving little toddler was Ms. Robertson's son.
5th Place tie:
A 19-year-old Carl Truman of Los Angeles won $74,000 and medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Mr. Truman apparently didn't notice that there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal his neighbor's hubcaps
5th Place tie:
Terrence Dickson of Bristol, Pennsylvania, was leaving a house he had just finished robbing by way of the garage. He was not able to get the garage door to go up since the automatic door opener was malfunctioning. He couldn't re-enter the house because the door connecting the house and garage locked when he pulled it shut. The family was on vacation, and Mr. Dickson found himself locked in the garage for eight days. He subsisted on a case of Pepsi he found, and a large bag of dry dog food. He sued the homeowner's insurance claiming the situation caused him undue mental anguish. The jury agreed to the tune of $500,000.
4th Place:
Jerry Williams of Little Rock, Arkansas, was awarded $14,500 and medical expenses after being bitten on the buttocks by his next door neighbor's beagle. The beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. The award was less than sought because the jury felt the dog might have been just a little provoked at the time by Mr. Williams who had climbed over the fence into the yard and was shooting it repeatedly with a pellet gun.
3rd Place:
A Philadelphia restaurant was ordered to pay Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, $113,500 after she slipped on a soft drink and broke her coccyx (tail bone). The beverage was on the floor because Ms. Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument.
2nd Place:
Kara Walton of Claymont, Delaware, successfully sued the owner of a night club in a neighboring city when she fell from the bathroom window to the floor and knocked out her two front teeth. This occurred while Ms. Walton was trying to sneak through the window in the ladies room to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge. She was awarded $12,000 and dental expenses.
1st Place:
This year's run away winner was Mr. Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Mr. Grazinski purchased a brand new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On his first trip home, (from an OU football game), having driven onto the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the drivers seat to go into the back and make himself a cup of coffee. Not surprisingly, the RV left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising him in the owner's manual that he couldn't actually do this. The jury awarded him $1,750,000 plus a new motor home. The company actually changed their manuals on the basis of this suit, just in case there were any other complete morons buying their recreational vehicles.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:04 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 525d Sport Touring Auto. Media pack; folding mirrors; panoramic sunroof; Titanium Silver with black Dakota leather and maple wood

Originally Posted by gwf545' date='Aug 29 2005, 08:20 PM
Why do they make us acknowledge the warning?? Here's why:
(I'm not sure these are true, but they do represent the problem well.)

"STELLA AWARDS"
?
It's time once again to review the winners of the annual "Stella Awards." The Stella's are named after 81-year-old Stella Liebeck who spilled coffee on herself and successfully sued McDonalds. That case inspired the Stella Awards for the most frivolous successful lawsuits in the United States.
?
Here are this year's winners:
5th Place tie:
Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas, was awarded $780,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The owners of the store were understandably surprised at the verdict, considering the misbehaving little toddler was Ms. Robertson's son.
5th Place tie:
A 19-year-old Carl Truman of Los Angeles won $74,000 and medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Mr. Truman apparently didn't notice that there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal his neighbor's hubcaps
5th Place tie:
Terrence Dickson of Bristol, Pennsylvania, was leaving a house he had just finished robbing by way of the garage. He was not able to get the garage door to go up since the automatic door opener was malfunctioning. He couldn't re-enter the house because the door connecting the house and garage locked when he pulled it shut. The family was on vacation, and Mr. Dickson found himself locked in the garage for eight days. He subsisted on a case of Pepsi he found, and a large bag of dry dog food. He sued the homeowner's insurance claiming the situation caused him undue mental anguish. The jury agreed to the tune of $500,000.
4th Place:
Jerry Williams of Little Rock, Arkansas, was awarded $14,500 and medical expenses after being bitten on the buttocks by his next door neighbor's beagle. The beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. The award was less than sought because the jury felt the dog might have been just a little provoked at the time by Mr. Williams who had climbed over the fence into the yard and was shooting it repeatedly with a pellet gun.
3rd Place:
A Philadelphia restaurant was ordered to pay Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, $113,500 after she slipped on a soft drink and broke her coccyx (tail bone). The beverage was on the floor because Ms. Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument.
2nd Place:
Kara Walton of Claymont, Delaware, successfully sued the owner of a night club in a neighboring city when she fell from the bathroom window to the floor and knocked out her two front teeth. This occurred while Ms. Walton was trying to sneak through the window in the ladies room to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge. She was awarded $12,000 and dental expenses.
1st Place:
This year's run away winner was Mr. Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Mr. Grazinski purchased a brand new 32-foot Winnebago motor home.? On his first trip home, (from an OU football game), having driven onto the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the drivers seat to go into the back and make himself a cup of coffee.? Not surprisingly, the RV left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising him in the owner's manual that he couldn't actually do this. The jury awarded him $1,750,000 plus a new motor home.? The company actually changed their manuals on the basis of this suit, just in case there were any other complete morons buying their recreational vehicles.
[snapback]164810[/snapback]

God bless America
Old 08-29-2005, 12:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by Gray Dog' date='Aug 29 2005, 06:29 AM
In the US is it possible to change the i drive default screen, after the safety warning screen, from the menu screen to something else?? For example, after hitting the i drive button to "accept" the safety warning, is it possible to have the "map -- direction of travel" be displayed automatically as the next screen instead of the menu screen?
It won't come up automatically but if you have voice command,say guidance on and the map will come up for you.
cheers
vern

Quick Reply: i drive