E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I-Drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 07:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thing that drives me nuts about I-Drive is how poorly it's implemented. As a web designer, I was taught that one of the most important aspects of designing an interface is to make sure that it's consistent and that all actions have a predictable response.

Now look at I-Drive.

Most pages have a heading, a menu bar and a page of options. On the entertainment page, you start at the top and a <down> brings you to the menu bar. Another <down> brings you to the options.

Now go to the Car Info page. Again, you start at the top but a <down> skips over the menu bar and moves the cursor down two lines to the options page. To move the cursor down one single line you have to pull <down> and then push <up>.

On the vent setting page, you have to push down to select and change some options but others change with just a twirl of the knob.

I don't really care which way they choose to implement it but they should have been consistent. As it is now, we have to remember the unique ways in which a page can react to a command which isn't all that hard but it does have the fetid stench of poor planning.

Overall, I like the idea of I-Drive but the interface needs to become transparent to the driver rather than something they must focus on while driving.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:14 AM
Senior Members

As a tech guy do you think the software could be changed at a later date?
Old 06-08-2004, 08:33 AM
Senior Members

Whenever you go to your dealer to update your software, that usually would include that part of the software that is presented to you as the GUI of iDrive. However, I'd guess it's dubious that there will be any radical changes to the software - but who knows what changes might be required in, say, the Entertainment section whenever the mp3 decoder is enabled.

E.g. there was an update some time last year(?) that added either the star or rhomb button (can't remember which wasn't included ini the initial software version) as a function customizable through iDrive.

Btw.. I read a brochure for the 1 series, that the Einser will support mp3 playback. Judging from pictures of the main screen, the Einser seems to be equipped with an iDrive system much similar to that of the 5er. IMHO this could be an indication that mp3 support WILL be added sometime in the foreseeable future.

-paasan
Old 06-08-2004, 08:37 AM
stu
Members

I strongly agree with Radio Wave. The whole thing is spoilt by inconsistencies.
What a pity.
I feel ashamed to even demonstrate it to a friend because the glithches are immediately obvious to any observer.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jtxc' date='Jun 8 2004, 10:14 AM
As a tech guy do you think the software could be changed at a later date?
Absolutely! It should be a simple case of the designers updating the software but realistically, most programmers' time is spent fixing bugs and adding new features (e.g. voice recognition, MP3 support) rather than lower priority user interface issues. There's hope in that they did make many UI improvements from the E65 to the E60 so maybe the Exxx 5-series will be another step forward.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW 316ti, 2004 BMW 530d, 2006 BMW 530xd, 2013 BMW 320d touring, 2014 BMW 520d touring, 2016 BMW X5, 2020 BMW 320da touring, 2020 BMW 540i
Model Year: 1974
Engine: Flat six
Talking

Just for you guys to know, if you think i-drive it's problematic..... did you heard that mercedes benz will quit on 600 electronic functions in the E and S class????
Some of the electronic functions are just easy as the electronic memory for the seats in the front. It will stop having 3 memories and will have only one, why? Electronic problems.....software problems.... and after these 600 changes they have scheduled plus 400 changes related to electronic/software problems.

The i-drive is just perfect comparing to what the other brands do (The Audi MMI has lots of problems too....)
Old 06-08-2004, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by stu' date='Jun 8 2004, 12:37 PM
I strongly agree with Radio Wave. The whole thing is spoilt by inconsistencies.
What a pity.
I feel ashamed to even demonstrate it to a friend because the glithches are immediately obvious to any observer.
No glitches have been immediately obvious to any of my observers. I'm able to masterfully demonstrate any functions just by spinning, flicking, and clicking.

I can do it so quickly that the observer is instantly convinced that the interface works perfectly. The inconsistencies in the interface are not that confusing -- it just takes a short amount of time to master them.

Certainly a 100% consistent interface is better than one this is inconsistent but either way, it's not a big deal to me. Once you get it, you get it.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:31 PM
Contributors

I have to take a stand on this one .... Rudy I agree !! All this I-drive bashing is over the top. I will admit that it takes some time to get used too, Like 10 minutes !!! , after that it is as intuitive as any analog system I've had. the only issue I have with I drive is that with all the bells and whistles it really doesn't do much that you can't preform with the few buttons and knobs on the dash. IMHO
Old 06-08-2004, 03:33 PM
JDN
Contributors

It would be a boon for the body shops and doctors, ambulance chasers, lawyers and the rest if we had all of these functions and NO iDrive.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pbarch1' date='Jun 8 2004, 04:31 PM
I will admit that it takes some time to get used too, Like 10 minutes !!! , after that it is as intuitive as any analog system I've had.
Not to be rude but I am genuinely curious if you can tell me, without looking, the sequence of I-Drive movements needed for something like adjusting the hot/cold air mixture for the upper body vents? In other words, could you do it right now without having to take your eyes off of the road? Sure you don't need to be in Mensa to figure it out but it's nowhere near as intuitive or easy to use as the old analog red/blue dial. A more consistent design would decrease the amount of visual checking required.

Again, I like I-Drive, I just wish they did a better job of designing it. I never needed to explain to passengers how to manually set radio stations before.

Anyways, I'm glad you enjoy it.

Cheers.

Quick Reply: I-Drive