E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I-Drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 05:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been wanted to put this ppost up for a while so here it goes. Was it really neccisay to put the I-drive technology in the e60? BMW has had so many glitches/problems with the I-drive system. It doesn't really let you control anything special. If you look at a MB you can control most of it from the steering wheel, without any glitches. Why does BMW continue to put out cars that have not been properly tested? I think they should ditch the entire I-drive technology and come up withas new one. Its not hard to use but its not very realiable. There must be a better alturnative. Do you really think the I-drive is nessisary?

BTW: I dont think our glitches will ever be fixed. They are having problems with the Rolls-Royve Phantom. They are very gltichy. The Flat Tire Warning comes on all the time and has many of the same glitches as our e60
Old 06-07-2004, 05:08 AM
Contributors

I think glitches are the price we pay to be at the cutting edge of technology.

I'm sure the same was said when pneumatic tyres first appeared (and had the occasional puncture......If everybody ran for the safe ground and stuck with solid cartwheels, nobody would have moved on....(pun intended )
Old 06-07-2004, 05:15 AM
Senior Members

Yea i know what you are saying, but they should have tested it and fixed them. There is no way that the Prototypes didn't have these problems. They have had over a year to address them. You dont see glitchy computer games coming out. Windows is a very stable platform. They could have fixed the errors there really is no exususe.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Zippers, I understand your frustrations with the new technology. Unfortunately, it's the future trend for not just BMW but all manufacturers. It allows them more flexibility and is less expensive to build.

I don't think you can equate the iDrive "technology" with the miscellaneous software glitches that are present on our cars.

iDrive is simply an interface to many settings and features. You mentioned Mercedes' steering wheel controls. That's the interface they currently use on some cars -- some of their cars have a combination of steering wheel and LCD (iDrive-like) controls. If you ask me, I'd prefer to have everything in one place and the LCD based iDrive is far superior to say, the M-B S-class' mixed arrangement. It's not about the interface (steering wheel or iDrive) it's about what Doctor Diesel said, cutting edge technology.

Having said that, it's important to note that I've seen plenty of software problems with M-B cars as well as BMW in recent years so we're not alone on this subject.

Granted, the German manufacturers don't seem to be as adept at releasing bug-free software as the Japanese manufacturers are but to me, that's something I'm sure they'll get better and better at with time. Maybe they need to hire some Japanese software dudes to help debug things!

As long as the Germans keep on building cars with superior driving characteristics, I'm willing to tolerate a handful of minor software issues. Also, I do think they will fix our glitches -- it's just a matter of time.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:04 AM
Senior Members

I drive as a whole is hardware. I like the screen and it's purpose, to free up the clutter and add more owner input options. The problems have been with the software and programming issues, these I believe can be worked on (obviously some have already been fixed) and over time I'm hoping the entire system can be upgraded or completely changed to better suit the owners needs.

Similar to any PC platform why can't the i-drive software be reprogrammed completely? (I can imagine running a fire wire to the garage and changing inputs on a lap top!)

Maybe it was released early (a version has been in the 7 for a few years now ) but I'm sure BMW has figured out that this type of system is the wave of the future and indeed is needed now.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:53 AM
Contributors

I think the I-Drive is great. People have PC problems don't they?
Plus, It makes the car more personnal to you. You do not have to fill in memory sheets for your service center to fullfil. You can do a lot of functions now that you would have to change the next time you went in for service. Or bug the service center every couple of days.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:30 AM
Members

Sorry Zipper, if windows is so stable why do we need to download patches every month and why is the most stable version ever sold now on it's second service pack. Just about every game ever sold has a patch come out a month or two later.

I have used a palm for years which was pretty stable, last 3 months I've used a pocket PC and I have to reboot all the time, memory leaks etc.

Mostly only people with problems will search out these boards and post their problems, personally speaking I can't recall having a problem with Idrive and I'm now at 7500 miles.

For the record the first time I sat in an E60 I pretty much managed to do anything I wanted in idrive without instruction. My brother has a new E320cdi and after a 10 mile drive I concluded COMMAND was far more confusing and difficult to configure and change. Endless combinations of push this button then that button followed by the other button. In summary I'd take Idrive over COMMAND any day.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:41 AM
Senior Members

Hi All

I say no to I-Drive. Just the other day, it went completely dead on me (nothing shows up on the LCD). And when it's dead, you can't even play the radio. Fortunately, it came back on the next day.

Guess the bottomline for me is, if it's truly something breakthrough, I wouldn't mind so much the glitches. However, what the I-Drive is doing (at least so far, and for most of its functions) is to make simple tasks complicated. Take for example, if I wish to change CD, I have to flip thru layers of menu on the I-Drive to get there. And mind you this is while Im driving. Wouldn't it be a lot easier (and safer) to just press on a button, like that on older pre-I-Drive BMWs. So far, I haven't found one single function on the I-Drive that I cannot live without. On the other hand, the glitches are plentiful and I see it everyday. My "restraint system faulty" message still pops up everyday despite two fix attempts.

Just my opinion.

Bunbun.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:47 AM
Contributors

Personally I like i-Drive, even though it can be improved (just like any software application). I would also prefer a couple of redundant stereo buttons on the dash. One thing is for sure, others are implementing similar devices in their cars too. Audi already has it, Mercedes will have it on the next S Class, and now even the Japanese companies that kept pushing the idea that touchscreens were the way to go are starting to use it (Acura, Infiniti, etc.). Yes I know that all the other versions have more buttons for direct submenu selection, but the idea is the same as i-Drive, which BMW had first.

Some of these new systems have so many sub menu buttons that it makes things more complicated IMO, but some people prefer that. Personally I don't see the difference between pushing a button labled "NAV" or pushing the i-Drive knob to the right (NAV). In both cases its a single push to select the NAV function. As a matter of fact when you have too many buttons you have to look or feel where the buttons are, while in i-Drive you just keep your hand on the knob and push it in the direction of the selection that you want.

Anyways, the point I am trying to make is that people may not like i-Drive and think that it is unnecessary and "an answer to a question that was never asked". However, if they did not "ask that question" maybe they did not visualize how many functions (literally hundreds) the newer cars need to have and how to access/ control them. The only choices are a hundred buttons on the dash or a centralized controller. Some of BMW's competetors have dozens and dozens of buttons or a touchscreen system in their current models (IMO both of which are more distracting than i-Drive), but even they have acknowledged the need for a centralized controller (like i-Drive) and will be using it in their new models.

Is i-Drive perfect? No.....but name a hardware/software based tool or gadget that was perfect and did not need many upgrades, especially in the infancy of the system's life.

rodybmw
Old 06-08-2004, 02:02 AM
Contributors

a perfect tech gadget.....My ipod....but seriously, I love idrive, it seems to be the best solution to a multifactorial problem,

Interestingly, loads of family and friends have asked how long it took to learn the system...I reckon I was familiar with it in about 20 minutes and I haven't had to hit the manual yet!

idrive.....I'm lovin' it

Quick Reply: I-Drive