E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I couldn't get to my top speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 10:39 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 530xi Jet Black

*Please people try not to flame me but instead try to help*

Anyway so the top speed I took my car up to ever was to the 160 dash limit for future reference (Was on a 3 mile old testing track my buddy owns). Anyway so I am driving today and I felt like flexing the golden pipes on the highway so heck I do it. I gave my car all it had and it only went to 140mph (stuck for 20-25 secs) so I eased off and drove normal from there to my destination (Please note that this was late tonight and there were only big rigs and drunk people driving ). Anyway I noticed this immediately and I am just worrying that maybe something got busted up in my car preventing me from getting my full acceleration(<-seemed off too) and full speed. I do not drive like a frickin teenager fast & furious style bs, but I have my times where its nice to see some speed.

Anyways the real question is: Is there any ways I can look at my car visually and by simple touch to see if my car is running smoothly? Sorta like how Airline Pilots go around their plane inspecting every major part to look for defections.

Sorry if I'm trying to defend myself too much, because I know many forumers flame ppl that go fast sometimes. Probably being too overcautious since its 2:40am haha
Old 08-18-2010, 10:51 PM
Contributors

ur sounding like bmwfreaknik kid that just got his license suspended. Who u racing that fast slow down hot dog.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530d M-Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Dakota Black Leather, Professional Nav. Hardwired Road Angel + Laser, De-Swirl Flapped!!

Bold post considering recent developments here...

Onto the help side for when you're next at your buddy's track. On a mechanical point, there could be a number of things to look into. When's the last time you had the engine serviced? If it's been a while, then you won't be running as efficient as possible. Fuel grade that you're running, gradient, electronics on within the car, all of these will have an effect.

Here's the easy fix attempt. I managed to gain a lot more speed & acceleration from this simple mod. Make sure that you haven't got an aftermarket floor mat limiting the travel of the gas pedal. It makes a rather impressive difference. Good luck, calm down and keep safe.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

Originally Posted by dinan530xi
*Please people try not to flame me but instead try to help*

Anyway so the top speed I took my car up to ever was to the 160 dash limit for future reference (Was on a 3 mile old testing track my buddy owns). Anyway so I am driving today and I felt like flexing the golden pipes on the highway so heck I do it. I gave my car all it had and it only went to 140mph (stuck for 20-25 secs) so I eased off and drove normal from there to my destination (Please note that this was late tonight and there were only big rigs and drunk people driving ). Anyway I noticed this immediately and I am just worrying that maybe something got busted up in my car preventing me from getting my full acceleration(<-seemed off too) and full speed. I do not drive like a frickin teenager fast & furious style bs, but I have my times where its nice to see some speed.

Anyways the real question is: Is there any ways I can look at my car visually and by simple touch to see if my car is running smoothly? Sorta like how Airline Pilots go around their plane inspecting every major part to look for defections.

Sorry if I'm trying to defend myself too much, because I know many forumers flame ppl that go fast sometimes. Probably being too overcautious since its 2:40am haha
So if there were only big rigs and drunk drivers, what makes you think it was safe to drive at those speeds?

Anyway, it could be the warmer summer air. I don't know if it would affect your top speed by such a large margin, but in the cooler winter months the cold air is more dense and boosts engine performance.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

What are you, trying to become famous too, bro?
Old 08-19-2010, 12:53 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

hot summer day plus possible air filter is dirty? Check the simple things such as the air filter.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

You gonna get raped by your local PD
Old 08-19-2010, 04:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Aight, I'll bite... what the heck...

WHO ATTEMPTS TOP SPEED RUNS NOT KNOWING THE CAR INSIDE OUT?!?!
Old 08-19-2010, 04:16 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Try to check & inspect yourself for possible problem ... like brain fart maybe ...we just been thru similar speed on public road thing.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:29 AM
Contributors

I would try it again without floormats and leave the hood open a little bit. That should do it. Oh, also try it in the daytime though. Your car should be much faster in the daytime.

Quick Reply: I couldn't get to my top speed