E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i contaced bmw uk about the swirl flap problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

I can confirm that there are no inherent problems on our vehicle range relating to swirl flaps. In the event of a component failure with a vehicle we would always recommend that the vehicle be inspected by a BMW Approved Dealership in order to ascertain what has happened and what would be required to resolve the situation. In the event that the vehicle is covered by warranty and the repair a warrantable item, then it would be covered by the policy.
straight from the horses mouth that is, extracted from the email they sent me.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:15 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

So?
Every diesel owner can play his/her russian roulette with this issue if likes to. Just place your bet.

That's about it in a nutshell.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='833857' date='Apr 2 2009, 10:15 AM
So?
Every diesel owner can play his/her russian roulette with this issue if likes to. Just place your bet.

That's about it in a nutshell.
im afraid so, sucks dont it.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:32 AM
Contributors

that is a standerd worded response.
BMW will not own up to anything they dont have to or can get out of, if they said "yes we know about this possible problem" it would open a floodgate of possible law suits...if you knew why dont you recall etc.......
its far cheaper to deal with the small % that complain than recall thousands. (damage limitation)

as Anzafin rightly says..its russian roulette......so take your turn guys
me..i dont want to play that game.
it would be different if it was a major job, or cost hundreds of ?, but it is so easy costs next to nothing and has no detramental effect on our cars, it all stacks up as a no brainer for me at least.
if i had a 30,000 mile car i would still do it, as its that easy.
pay a good mechanic ?100 and he will jump at the job, if you dont like getting your head under the bonnet. just print off Anzafins excellent how to, and give him that to refer to...job done.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:27 AM
Senior Members

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to fight them for this, if a car is serviced within the recommended service plan and the flaps fail then surely an independant inspector could confirm a design fault is to blame. The thing that surprises me is for the sake of a simple inspection being added to the service schedule every 50K miles, this issue could probably be avoided.

Reputation is everything they will forget this at their cost, a car maker in these times should not take things for granted.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 530D M Sport Auto. Carbon Black with Beige Leather

Originally Posted by Bob525D' post='834139' date='Apr 2 2009, 06:27 PM
I wonder if anyone has ever tried to fight them for this, if a car is serviced within the recommended service plan and the flaps fail then surely an independant inspector could confirm a design fault is to blame. The thing that surprises me is for the sake of a simple inspection being added to the service schedule every 50K miles, this issue could probably be avoided.

Reputation is everything they will forget this at their cost, a car maker in these times should not take things for granted.
Not sure it would be a simple inspection - they would have to spend a couple of hours labour to get the manifold off, inspected, and on again ..which is probably why its not added to the schedule.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

Starting to seriously consider doing mine, even tho its an N2 engine..........I might just wait till I see some posts here on these forums about other people with the revised flaps who went bang tho ?? Ive yet to see a single post here from an owner only 1 report from someone who knew a mechanic who said they did one (not dissin that btw)
Old 04-03-2009, 03:27 AM
Contributors

search the web mark, there are lots of cases of swirl flap failure on E60 high milage cars.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

cars with the revised flap pins tho ?
Old 01-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Members

My Ride: '55' 520d m sport

i have tried searching but can't seem to find out if this swirl flap issue affects 2.0d models. I have a 55 plate 520d, all the posts seem to be about 525d and 530d's. Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: i contaced bmw uk about the swirl flap problem