E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

i can't believe i have to ask this

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolrab
Rough idea on maintenance:

Oil 8k
Transmission (auto or manual) 50k
Differential 50k
SMG flush (if applicable) 50k
Coolant 2 years
Brake fluid 1 year where I live; 2 probably ok for you
Power steering fluid 30k to 50k
Fuel filter 80k
Air filter 15k
Microfilters 20k
Spark plugs 50k
Drive belt and tensioner/pulleys 50k
Cooling system plastic parts plus hoses 60k
Battery 4 years

You can skip some of this if you don't plan to run the car to high mileage. I've done all this on my 2004 545i for 166,000 miles, and the result has been zero problems. It's pretty much like new.
Thanks for the list. I am from Houston as well. Most of the people I've talked to tell me not to touch the AT transmission fluid.

Do you DIY all of them or bring the car to a shop?
Old 06-28-2012, 08:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i 2004, SMG, Sport, Nav, Logic-7, Bluetooth phone retrofit

Post warranty, nearly all of this was done by Bavarian Machine Specialties, near Waugh and Allen Parkway. I'm starting to do some DIY now. Cuts the cost by 75%.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:48 AM
Members

when i was researching my car thru car fax and see alot of dealer service listed so let's hope since the intervles seems good for my items
Old 06-28-2012, 09:44 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by paul-g
when i was researching my car thru car fax and see alot of dealer service listed so let's hope since the intervles seems good for my items

They should be, as someone mentioned, there is free maintenance for the first 50k miles - so anyone who doesn't take advantage of that is a moron. So there should at least be records of those services.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:52 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolrab
I've been using OE for spark plugs. About $170 per set.
Where are you buying your plugs, Tiffany Jewelers?
Bought my OE Bosch +4 Platinum for my 545i (set of 8) on Amazon for $24 total with shipping and no tax, after rebate (I received the rebate check in three weeks).

RE Oil
Depends on how old the car is and if you plan on keeping it a long while.
If you are in a lease with a new car and don't plan on buying out the lease then follow the CBM on the screen.
Yeah, it is being mean to the next owner, but you can take the attitude that it ain't your problem. Don't waste your time.

However, if you want to keep it running a long time my advise is measure how you drive.
Oil grows old (gains contaminants and loses additives) by the operating hour, not the mile driven.
I realize everyone fixates on miles because that is what your dashboard measures.
But I encourage you to think like preventive maintenance professional engineers in industry, tasked with the care of hugely expensive motors in power plants, highrise buildings and transportation. Their measure for changing fluids is operating hours.

If you drive mostly highway I recommend 6K miles maximum between changes.
If you drive stop and go and average 12-15mph on your commute I would advise you to strongly consider changing it every 3-4K miles with full synthetic oil.

Driving a given distance at 12mph takes five times as long as driving at 60mph, hence longer engine operating hours.
Also, the engine runs hotter at 12mph than 60mph due to loss of cooling which also ages the oil faster.

Gaskets, which grow brittle as gasoline and other contaminants make old oil acidic, are very cheap. The labor to change them isn't cheap.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
Where are you buying your plugs, Tiffany Jewelers?
Bought my OE Bosch +4 Platinum for my 545i (set of 8) on Amazon for $24 total with shipping and no tax, after rebate (I received the rebate check in three weeks).

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL
I use the bosch +4 too. Came OE on all of my bimmers. 5 yr replacement if defective and wouldn't you know, damn things keep going out every 3-4 yrs! lol

Old 07-10-2012, 05:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW E60 530i, upgrades: Magnaflow exhaust, Mtec angel eyes and low beam head lights, Just purchased 172 style wheels, looking around for the best tires on Tire Rack now. R1 concepts rotors drilled/slotted. Saving for the M-style kit from Trinity Auto.

This is great FYI forum for maintenance, I am going to start changing my oil every 8k thanks
Old 07-10-2012, 05:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW E60 530i, upgrades: Magnaflow exhaust, Mtec angel eyes and low beam head lights, Just purchased 172 style wheels, looking around for the best tires on Tire Rack now. R1 concepts rotors drilled/slotted. Saving for the M-style kit from Trinity Auto.

This is great FYI forum for maintenance, I am going to start changing my oil every 8k thanks