E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I called BMWNA about my valve tapping noises.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 12:14 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

I have this loud tapping noise problem with my 545i, that I reported when the car has only 1,000 miles. The noise sounds like old diesel engines, or like Honda's old engine without the V-tec. It will quiet down a bit after it's warm, but I can still hear it in the background.

I've mentioned this problem to the dealer when I had my SMG replaced (1,500 miles) but they couldn't find my reported problem. I took the car in last week for software update and asked them to look into it again. I also showed the service advisor a tape I made when the engine was still cold.

The SA called me the next day that they can definitely hear and feel the tapping, but they say that its normal. They claim that all 745 and 645 make the same, if not worse tapping sounds than mine. Is this true? Those of you who have V8s noticed the same noise as I have?

I feel like the dealer was just trying to dodge bullets, so I called BMWNA (800-831-1117) to see if they can look into this problem. It was a long conversation, but in conclusion, they say that all they can do is to report this problem to Munich and the engineers will make sure that this does not happen to their future cars. They also hope that eventually, the noise will tone down and I should get used to it.

Before I try to seek solutions at another dealer, can you guys let me know how is your V8's running?
Old 03-09-2005, 12:25 PM
Members

Try this first. When you hear the tapping noise, turn off the A/C. If the noise is gone, the noise is probably caused by a bad A/C compressor.

I had this problem, when the engine is cold with A/C on. After the dealer replaced the A/C compressor, the noise went away.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:27 PM

Cool

It's the hamsters running on the treadmill inside the engine!
Old 03-09-2005, 12:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Originally Posted by katmai' date='Mar 9 2005, 03:25 PM
Try this first.? When you hear the tapping noise, turn off the A/C.? If the noise is gone, the noise is probably caused by a bad A/C compressor.?

I had this problem, when the engine is cold with A/C on.? After the dealer replaced the A/C compressor, the noise went away.
[snapback]99214[/snapback]

AC is off. I am sure because it's winter, and I hate the mold odor associated with AC
Old 03-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

I have mentioned also before I have had this valve tapping noise on mine.
When engine is cold, under load, around 1000-2000rpm - quiet cockpit.

Better when warm. Still in the background though.

My chief mechanic assured me this is normal on Valvetronic engines. He reckons it's just pure mechanical valve noise and nothing to worry about.

I'm going to a few dealers in Germany soon to get a second opinion. Just in case.

Maybe we're just too picky speedracerF4i ........
Old 03-09-2005, 12:53 PM
Senior Members

I have it too. I just turn up the radio. Luckily, it's not that cold here.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:55 PM
Contributors

Still, would appreciate if anyone else with 545i could have a closer 'ear ' next time to anything with "valve tapping" related noises with a cold engine and quiet cockpit and come back to this thread.

TIA
Old 03-09-2005, 01:01 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by andy545' date='Mar 9 2005, 03:50 PM
I have mentioned also before I have had this valve tapping noise on mine.
When engine is cold, under load, around 1000-2000rpm - quiet cockpit.

Better when warm. Still in the background though.

My chief mechanic assured me this is normal on Valvetronic engines. He reckons it's just pure mechanical valve noise and nothing to worry about.

I'm going to a few dealers in Germany soon to get a second opinion. Just in case.

Maybe we're just too picky speedracerF4i ........
[snapback]99231[/snapback]
My anger is now leveling... If this is normal, then maybe, just maybe it would be OK.

You're right Andy, the noises only occurs under load between 1,600 - 2,200 RPM.

I am now letting the car idle in the morning until the rev-limiter (white dial thing) reaches 5,500 rpm before I pull out into the driveway. This way, the tapping noise would lessen a bit.

How long do you guys warm up in the morning before you pull out?
People have recommended to just crank and go, no warm up time whatsoever. I think you should let the oil flow a bit before you go. I used to let it warm about 30 seconds before I pull out the car. Now, it's like 3-5 minutes.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:18 PM
Contributors

Normally warming up is not necessary. Even the manual recommends to just drive off, so that the whole engine, drivetrain, diff, warm up equally.
I guess a few seconds to let the oil go everywhere wouldn't hurt though.

JDN mentioned that a mechanic told him that if our V8 has 10W30 oil, maybe the increased viscosity of the oil creates this tapping noise. I think it's worth looking into as well, since the recommended oil is 5W30. Just a thought.

Anyways, it's probably nothing - but if it's normal valvetronic behaviour, everyone should have it in some form, right? Hence my request above.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545iA Titanium Silver/Gray, Poplar----Cold Weather Pkg, Comfort Seats, Logic 7 Audio, Heated Rear Seats

I have a cold engine clatter that seems to go away after a few minutes once the engine is warm. I assume that's normal, but it is not like anything I have experienced before from other cold engines.

Here's an earlier thread:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...653&hl=clatter

Tim C

Quick Reply: I called BMWNA about my valve tapping noises.