E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I am no longer enjoying my car

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 05:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that maybe fit and finish on E60 is not exactly up to usual BMW standards, but you really can't compare the car to Honda. You just seem to be really sensitive to rattles - I don't have that many in my car (rear door seals and instrument cluster - to be fixed on 19th), and even though they are anooying, this is not the reason not to enjoy the car. All cars start to rattle sooner or later, your just happen to start sooner, or has more problems with rattles than average E60.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:55 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 700700' post='296864' date='Jun 13 2006, 01:24 PM
then try once more in a porsche
I'd love to and also a ferrari and maybe even a lambo if I had time
Old 06-13-2006, 07:26 AM
Members

The thing that needs to be pointed out is that you can go to any type of car forum (MB, Honda, etc.) and find people complaining about their cars' faults and rattles. No manufacturer is perfect and there are going to be some vehicles that are better than others of the same type. I can think of a ton of issues that my friends have had with other marques (2005 Honda Accord - replaced O2 sensors and interior trim piece, 2005 Audi A6 - replaced rear package tray clips, etc.) I tend to follow the advice of my uncle who is a Ford Engineer (that won't talk to me about cars anymore because all I drive is BMWs), "Never buy a car within 2 years of launch or a significant model change because it takes at least 2 years to get major bugs worked out." Cars will never be perfect, but I think back to my first car (1989 Ford Taurus SHO) and really appreciate the solidity and quietness of my 530xi.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:48 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To some people, rattling, engine knocking, windnoise, etc, drive them nuts. Some can live with it without any problem. To me, valve tickling noise in my previous Lexus RX330 drove me nuts. It can only be heard when parking at the stop light at night or quiet area. Other cars, I'm OK, but not with Lexus who has been known for super quiet car - nope. Same with new Direct Injection engine which has the same issue due to high pressure.
OK, B2B, So far I'm happy with whatever noise from BMW. Door creaking is easy to fix. However, if dashboard or steering wheel rattling noise coming up, I'd go nut. For a $50K and above car, that kind of issue should not exist.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (UK) Bulit: Feb 2004, 520i (M54), 6-Speed Manual, Black leather, Titanium Silver, Bi-Xenon, Headlamp washers, Side rear airbags, Park Distance Control, Aluminium trim, Standard Climate Control, 17" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's, Spacesaver Spare wheel, Jack, Dynamic drive, Service Inclusive, Chrome grills, Software version 20.01.00, E60.net Clings, Painted wheel hubs silver

Ive had my car since feb 2004 and the only rattle i have experienced is the rear parcel shelf used to make a noise, but that was fixed. The car has 40,000 miles on it now and still nothing has developed. I think the new tires help. Mabey your car is just an unlucky one, I feel sorry for you man, but i wouldnt give up on an e60. I belive the new model is perfect with regard to quality...
Old 06-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Members

Get rid of the runflats - they're way too harsh. I did, and most of my rattles went away. (except the f'in rear parcel shelf noise)
Old 06-13-2006, 03:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

Originally Posted by Hormazd' post='296761' date='Jun 13 2006, 06:11 AM
For a $65K car from BMW I expect atleast the fit and finish that I enjoyed for many years in my Honda Accord. I am anal about rattles, far more intolerant of them than the average driver.
  • Door Locks- Rattling until changed
  • Rear parcel shelf rattling until sunshade replaced
  • constant rattles from door seals, cleaned and replaced and cleaned again and again
  • rattle from gear shift
  • rattle from rear central armrest- to be fixed
  • steering wheel rattling- determined left side buttons- per BMW bulletin
Other quality issues
  • Windscreen whistle over 125mph- fixed in Rome and again at local dealer
  • Sun Roof wind noise. Much better now that seal has been changed.
  • Active headlight periodically faulty. several modules changed.
  • Tires replaced twice
  • Faulty Active suspension module caused struts to stay firm all the time causing rough ride
  • Brake sensors and pads replaced. Sensors caused scraping sound
I must say that I would be miserable if it wasn't for excellent service from my dealer. None of the above have cost me a cent in 2 years and 24,000 miles. I have never had to argue with them and they have always given me a BMW loaner while they are working on the car.

Now, she is riding hard again, I think the shock pressure is high. And those buttons rattling are drving me crazy.

Should I get another e60 next year. Wait for the F10 or just buy a Hyundai.???
Gotta go for the Hyundai :thumbsdown:
Old 06-13-2006, 05:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='296817' date='Jun 13 2006, 04:40 AM
I say chill-out turn up the stereo and go for a nice long drive around some twisty roads.

Then try the same in a hyundai

That's why you bought a BMW - nothings perfect in the world - we just all need to relax and smell the flowers

I'm confused, why are you comparing performance with a hyundai? Hyundai's are economy cars.

For 65K car it should be near perfect.. If not why are people paying 65K for?
Old 06-13-2006, 09:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

I am happy again. Steeringwheel buttons replaced today. All new door locks and rattle in rear armrest fixed.
They gave me a new MBZ E350 while this was being done. No rattles but it drove like a sofa.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:59 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear. So, no more Kia or Hyundai?

Quick Reply: I am no longer enjoying my car