E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I am losing the will to live with this car!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm going to go ahead and add my irritation with bmw to this thread also. i wish i had bought a corvette. had mine for 8 months, was really fine the first 4 months, then in a matter of 3 months, had all of this happen:

1. vanos solenoid gone
2. camshaft sensor broken
3. radiator cracked
4. aux input broken
5. gas seal cracked
6. sunroof leak
7. ccc nav unit broken
8. another vanos solenoid broken

and there is a 9th thing that broke also that i cannot remember at this moment. this apparently with a car that never had a previous service record. luckily everything has so far been repaired under warranty and/or cpo, but with cpo it hasn't been easy. gotta say, when and if i get an opportunity to trade-in/get rid of this car, i won't hesitate for a second.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:53 PM
Contributors

SORRY TO HEAR THAT. HOPEFULLY EVERYTHING GETS FIXED
Old 03-17-2011, 05:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System
Model Year: 2007

sorry to hear about your problem man. Just remember this, for every post on here with "problems" or "issues", there are another 10 cars that are running just fine with regular maintenance. The E60 is a wonderful car! Good luck with your situation.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by houbmw
sorry to hear about your problem man. Just remember this, for every post on here with "problems" or "issues", there are another 10 cars that are running just fine with regular maintenance. The E60 is a wonderful car! Good luck with your situation.
hey now, let's keep it real. most people on message boards are on message boards because they are enthusiasts. most enthusiasts like their cars. bmw, at least for 2011, has been consistently rated as some of the worst cars to buy used because of their ailing transmissions and wear and tear items. everyone has different experiences, but i would suspect most enthusiasts on message boards overlook the shortcomings of bmw because they are enthusiasts. that doesn't mean there are any less problems though.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Members

Sorry to hear your tale of woe about your car. The info you've been given about dates of transmission change is duff though. The same auto transmission was fitted to all 535d's (they're all auto as you probably know) until October 2005.

Check the two links below

Up to Oct 2005

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...16&hg=24&fg=05

From Oct 2005

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...16&hg=24&fg=05

I also have the earlier type and touch wood, its been faultless.

As to the company that did the inspection, much like an MOT, they're checking that the car has no faults at the time of inspection but faults can develop at any time and unless you can see the future, can't be predicted.

Have you tried the gearbox reset procedure? I think it's something like key in position two (without starting engine) and holding the accelerator to the floor for 60 seconds.

Originally Posted by PaoChe
everything i've heard about the twin turbo screams stay away from them...I'll stick with my 525i. 57k miles and not a single dollar spent on repair. I realize transmission issues don't have much to do with the fact it's a 535 but it doesn't help the twin turbo's case.
Don't knock it till you've tried one, many are faultless. Mine has given me a few problems (all fixed under BMW warranty) but the previous owner (from new in 2005) had nothing go wrong in 5 1/2 years. They go like stink leaving many of their petrol brethren in their wake and can be re-mapped to something like 340bhp...................and still return 35 - 40mpg (the latter is very important when paying European fuel prices).
Old 03-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Members

Tuffluck, I read on one of your posts that you had the VANOS solenoid replaced. I recently had my VANOS solenoid valves replaced and they are saying it's not covered under the CPO warranty. I want to know how you got it covered, I think you mentioned with the CPO, it hasn't been easy. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by callicles
Tuffluck, I read on one of your posts that you had the VANOS solenoid replaced. I recently had my VANOS solenoid valves replaced and they are saying it's not covered under the CPO warranty. I want to know how you got it covered, I think you mentioned with the CPO, it hasn't been easy. Thanks.
every dealer is going to attempt to screw you. if the one you are going to won't budge, go to another one. if the nearest one otherwise is 2 hours from you, call them and tell them what the problem is and ask them if it is covered. vanos has been covered under my cpo. i didn't have to "do" anything, they just simply fixed it.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
I agree with v ... I'm not familiar with the consumer laws in your country and wish you good luck dealing with the "inspection" warranty. If you paid for a clean bill of health and the car was sick they should have some financial liability.

YOU NEED TO READ THE FINE PRINT!!!! As Confucius once said (maybe twice): "Buyer beware."

That said, some used cars are "buying someone else's problems. Many people sell or trade when it becomes increasingly apparent to them that something is going wrong. And, too bad, most will not be forthcoming and tell the prospective buyer "the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth!"

Good luck with your car!
Check with BMW parts. They do sell crate transmissions, and they might not be as expensive as you think.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 550i

Originally Posted by 1UP
Yes this is my 1st BMW, previously had high performance Jap cars and assumed the BMW (being the quality item it is) would be as trouble free as they were. Unfortunately I am very wrong! In fact now reading these forums I am beginning to think that they are in no way as reliable as the cars I have owned previously.

My opinion of BMW I have to say has been very much tarnished!
Very naive conclusion, german cars and bmw & audi especially are as far from jap's reliability as they can be. Next time use web search, you will be shocked how many complains on bmw reliability you find.

And pips saying it's because bmw is more complex car is just complete bs, Japanese cars are in fact at least as advanced electronically and mechanically as their german competitors.