E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am getting fed up with this piece of s@!*%^$

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 04:30 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i 6 speed

OK, had the car at the Philly airport for 2 nights (in the parking garage). Got back last night (11.30 pm, tired...6 hour flight) and it was pretty cold outside. Get in the car, the SMG doesn't go into N (lever goes, car doesn't start)! Move the lever sideways, nothing. So I get out of the car, start to rock it (push it, I read this somewhere here). A guy walks by, look at me like I am from another planet or I try to steal the car, but furtunately says nothing. I see him get in his Ford and just drive home...believe me, I felt like a complete idiot right there trying to get my $60,000 car to start.

I get back into the car and it suddenly starts. The engine starts and I get a low coolant message!!!!! New to me. I still decide to drive home. I get to the pay booth at the exit and the car downshifts from 3rd to 2nd so violent that I drop my wallet from my hand! It slams the gear in, so that the entire car jumps. I had all my rattles at one time...

Three problems within 10 minutes, thats even too much for me to bear. I am really loosing my confidence in the car. I love it, but the problems are getting almost too much to bear for me. I am cathcing me to look at other cars (which is really something, since I had BMWs for 20 years now and am a big BMW F1 fan).

I addition, I had 3 different rattles/creaks when driving home in the cold (sunroof, A pillar passenger, HUD area). Very annoying.

If I go to my dealer, they will just say "cannot reproduce..." and do nothing - or put the new software on and screw up my Bluetooth....

Oh, and I forgot - when I pulled way from the booth, the power window (yes, the one where they already excanged the motor) took three attempts to close.........
Old 12-08-2005, 04:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

OK - this is what you do when this happens

Close your eyes
Take 10 deep breaths
Kick the tires as hard as you can (can't damage them and should not hurt you too bad)

Seriously, it sounds frustrating.

My advice - try a different dealer - maybe they can reproduce the problems.
It seems you have one of "those" cars. Instead of each BMW having 2 problems - 9 have none and yours has 20.

Wish I could be more help.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by drjochen' post='208659' date='Dec 8 2005, 08:30 AM
OK, had the car at the Philly airport for 2 nights (in the parking garage). Got back last night (11.30 pm, tired...6 hour flight) and it was pretty cold outside. Get in the car, the SMG doesn't go into N (lever goes, car doesn't start)! Move the lever sideways, nothing. So I get out of the car, start to rock it (push it, I read this somewhere here). A guy walks by, look at me like I am from another planet or I try to steal the car, but furtunately says nothing. I see him get in his Ford and just drive home...believe me, I felt like a complete idiot right there trying to get my $60,000 car to start.

I get back into the car and it suddenly starts. The engine starts and I get a low coolant message!!!!! New to me. I still decide to drive home. I get to the pay booth at the exit and the car downshifts from 3rd to 2nd so violent that I drop my wallet from my hand! It slams the gear in, so that the entire car jumps. I had all my rattles at one time...

Three problems within 10 minutes, thats even too much for me to bear. I am really loosing my confidence in the car. I love it, but the problems are getting almost too much to bear for me. I am cathcing me to look at other cars (which is really something, since I had BMWs for 20 years now and am a big BMW F1 fan).

I addition, I had 3 different rattles/creaks when driving home in the cold (sunroof, A pillar passenger, HUD area). Very annoying.

If I go to my dealer, they will just say "cannot reproduce..." and do nothing - or put the new software on and screw up my Bluetooth....

Oh, and I forgot - when I pulled way from the booth, the power window (yes, the one where they already excanged the motor) took three attempts to close.........
That all sounds very frustrating. I can only sympathize. Maybe you can get enough things documented to use the lemon law.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:53 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='208662' date='Dec 8 2005, 08:38 AM
OK - this is what you do when this happens

Close your eyes
Take 10 deep breaths
Kick the tires as hard as you can (can't damage them and should not hurt you too bad)

Seriously, it sounds frustrating.

My advice - try a different dealer - maybe they can reproduce the problems.
It seems you have one of "those" cars. Instead of each BMW having 2 problems - 9 have none and yours has 20.

Wish I could be more help.

The 275 tires are hard to kick. I am afraid to hit the wheel....
The prbblem is that some of the issues I have are very hard to reproduce, since they only appear intermittendly and never when the car is a t the dealer/
Old 12-08-2005, 05:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

Most lemon laws have a time limit of 1-2 years and a mileage limit. Look up the law in your area on the net. It does not have to be a major problem, multiple small problems will work also.
You could try to sell it. Here in the U.S. the residuals are great.
Also, after 20 years if you have a good realtionship with a dealer maybe they will give you a good deal on a trade up.

If not just post here and we will continue to sympathize with you.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:25 AM
Senior Members

I feel u man. Altho my car doesn't have nearly as much problems, I must say the E60 is not up to par with other, current or previous, BMW models. All those creaks and rattles alone proves it.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Man that totally sucks. I've seen more patients out of you than I would have stood. I think if I had half of the problems you had I would have gone mad! Not just this incident but overall I've read almost all your prblems. But even if its just THIS time I would have been on BMWs butt. Unacceptable in my terms. Tell your dealer to replace the Hydraulic pumps on the transmission. Or have you already?
Old 12-08-2005, 07:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='208705' date='Dec 8 2005, 10:55 AM
Man that totally sucks. I've seen more patients out of you than I would have stood. I think if I had half of the problems you had I would have gone mad! Not just this incident but overall I've read almost all your prblems. But even if its just THIS time I would have been on BMWs butt. Unacceptable in my terms. Tell your dealer to replace the Hydraulic pumps on the transmission. Or have you already?
The dealer hasn't done anything with my transmission except updating the software. The had a "watchdog error" last time, which the SA couldn't even explain to me.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 Limo with M-Sport package(m5 mirrors,m5 trunk finisher,m172 summer wheels,blk front grills,m5 paddle shift kit(my530i),m pedal covers,m floor mats, E87 2005 The Misses car E39 2002 Touring with M-Sport package/family wagon(gone but not forgotten)

I sympathize with you I would try and find another dealer also. Good luck!
Old 12-08-2005, 07:21 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Here's info on CA's lemon law:

http://www.yourlemonlawrights.com/st...california.htm

Quick Reply: I am getting fed up with this piece of s@!*%^$