E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I am addictd to the cruise control lever

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 12:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 530i|Silver Gray/Black| Premium|Sport|NAV|Auto|PDC|Sunshade|

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='346656' date='Oct 19 2006, 10:39 AM
Right, which is why they probably did it that way. The question still remains...Why did they move it to the same side as the turn signal stalk in the first place?

Don't forget that now it's possible to accidentally activate the turn signals instead of cancelling the cruise -- that could be just as dangerous as the other scenario!
Rudy,

I think the position of the cruise is perfect. Just look at the MBZ's cruise location and you will think what the heck are they thinking. The lever is just about the same position as the turn signal. But MBZ has the turn signal a little lower than any other car. As a result, a person who is not familiar with MBZ, would trigger the cruise while wanting to hit the turn signal.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I love mine as well. You can rapidly accumulate the 1 mph increments up or down or use the 5 mph (rounded to closest 0 or 5 ending increment) to up or down more rapidly. If your a STEP owner you know the acceleration is quicker in Sport (or DS) to reach your speed compared to normal mode. I can go hours on Interstates or other 4 lanes with just the cc lever and never touch the pedal.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by Darron.Lowe' post='346617' date='Oct 19 2006, 08:57 AM
I seem to keep grabbing it instead of the indicator! The one thing i really dislike about it and all other CC's i've used is that when you 'resume' your speed the car launches to get to it as quickly as possible rather than gradually! :thumbsdown:
I noticed this on my 530d and for this very reason I used manual mode (M6). Much better.

The funny thing is my 535d doesn't do this. It accelerates very smootly on resume and i have no idea why
Old 10-19-2006, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by new-kid' post='346720
Rudy,

I think the position of the cruise is perfect. Just look at the MBZ's cruise location and you will think what the heck are they thinking. The lever is just about the same position as the turn signal. But MBZ has the turn signal a little lower than any other car. As a result, a person who is not familiar with MBZ, would trigger the cruise while wanting to hit the turn signal.
The position is perfect, just on the wrong side. In my '89 M3, it's in the exact location but on the other side of the wheel. I don't see why they felt the need to move it.

As far as M-B, I still can't believe they haven't moved the turn signal up a bit. Not even on the new S-class did they change it. You pretty much have to take your hand off of the wheel (if you're using a 10 and 2 position) to use the turn signals! It really makes you appreciate the little things that BMW did right with this car...
Old 10-19-2006, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Darron.Lowe' post='346676' date='Oct 19 2006, 12:00 PM
Mind you given your other posts, i wouldn't expect anything less! At least we can count on you for acurate responses
Since I'm being "picky" and "anal" (even though I'm not "picking my anal") I can't let the irony of your spelling of the word 'accurate' go unnoticed!
Old 10-19-2006, 11:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: -Current- 535d Sport LCI Bi-Xenon Adaptive Lights, S.A.T, Professional SatNav, Logic7, Elec Memory seats, iPod interface, 19" Alloys WITHOUT RUNFLATS! CIC and Combox Retrofit, White Angel Eyes, Speed in Centre console. -Previous- Mini Cooper S 525d Tourer Auto

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='346861' date='Oct 20 2006, 02:36 AM
Since I'm being "picky" and "anal" (even though I'm not "picking my anal") I can't let the irony of your spelling of the word 'accurate' go unnoticed!

- the worst thing with my spelling is the MS Word auto correct... I often type 'definatly' and it corrects it to 'defiantly' without me noticing!
Old 10-20-2006, 01:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5, Silverstone with black extended leather, brushed aluminium trim, Nav Pro, Logic 7, PDC, 35 % tint.

I do a lot of highway driving but have never had the need to use cruise control. I just don't like the idea of it. I have never used it in any of my cars, I just don't find it fun to drive. It's main advantage is to let the foot of the gas? Why would you want to do that on a BMW? Plus I don't feel that it is safe, IMHO.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by KenTO' post='346968' date='Oct 20 2006, 05:37 PM
I do a lot of highway driving but have never had the need to use cruise control. I just don't like the idea of it. I have never used it in any of my cars, I just don't find it fun to drive. It's main advantage is to let the foot of the gas? Why would you want to do that on a BMW? Plus I don't feel that it is safe, IMHO.
people use it for 1 thing, very tried after a days work
Old 10-20-2006, 02:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: -Current- 535d Sport LCI Bi-Xenon Adaptive Lights, S.A.T, Professional SatNav, Logic7, Elec Memory seats, iPod interface, 19" Alloys WITHOUT RUNFLATS! CIC and Combox Retrofit, White Angel Eyes, Speed in Centre console. -Previous- Mini Cooper S 525d Tourer Auto

Originally Posted by KenTO' post='346968' date='Oct 20 2006, 10:37 AM

I use it if i am travelling down an empty motorway (highway ) as it just makes life easier. If i am after a more spirited experience or it is busy then it does not get touched. I find that people can switch off easily on those sorts of journeys and that is dangerous - the CC does not help either.

I tend to keep to the left lane unless overtaking as it keeps you alert (even more so if in the LHD countries ) with the constant checking of mirrors etc.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='346656
- the worst thing with my spelling is the MS Word auto correct... I often type 'definatly' and it corrects it to 'defiantly' without me noticing!
It's definitely defiantly defying you! (You can set the autocorrect to change it to definitely - just choose Tools/AutoCorrect Options then find the entry in the "replace text as you type" list towards the bottom of the AutoCorrect tab and edit it)

Quick Reply: I am addictd to the cruise control lever