E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I`ve got a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 05:50 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

As some of you may know I just purchased a 2004 525i. After only a few days I'm completely in love with the car, I just have a few questions.

My car does not have a DVD drive under my CD drive, so I'm assuming this means I do not have navigation? I just want to be sure. Is there any way I would be able to get navigation with out paying an astronomical amount at the dealer?

I'm also wondering if my car has Bluetooth. The build date is 03/04 and I think that means I should have it, however when I searched the trunk I was unable to locate either of those silver boxes. I just need some clarification on this issue. Also, if I was to get a software upgrade, what's the typical cost for the process.

My iDrive is also telling me I need a new microfilter. Can I change this on my own or does the dealer have to do it. If I can, where can I pick one up.

Lastly, for some reason every time I walk away from my car I can't help but look back once or twice, and I rarely let the key out of my hand. Does anyone else have this problem? Haha

Thanks in advance guys.

-Ron
Old 07-02-2010, 05:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 E60 523 executive 20"ASA / Bi-Xenon / Full M-tech / LED Angel Eyes / Matte Black Kidney's / LED Side Markers

Only the professional navi has the DVD tray...the business uses the CD tray. Easiest way to see if you have navi is to check the screen in "home" position. You should have a navigation section.
If you don't have navi you can get a retrofit for both business and professional. Search this forum for DIY and price quotes..

The BT options is also found in the iDrive menu. If the options does not appear (where you can pair your phone with the car) then you don't have BT. You can also do a search with your phone. If the BT in yor car is active, your phone might find it. It says BMWXXXX (the X stands for different numbers)

GL!!
Old 07-02-2010, 05:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by rons e60
Hey guys,

As some of you may know I just purchased a 2004 525i. After only a few days I'm completely in love with the car, I just have a few questions.

My car does not have a DVD drive under my CD drive, so I'm assuming this means I do not have navigation? I just want to be sure. Is there any way I would be able to get navigation with out paying an astronomical amount at the dealer?

I'm also wondering if my car has Bluetooth. The build date is 03/04 and I think that means I should have it, however when I searched the trunk I was unable to locate either of those silver boxes. I just need some clarification on this issue. Also, if I was to get a software upgrade, what's the typical cost for the process.

My iDrive is also telling me I need a new microfilter. Can I change this on my own or does the dealer have to do it. If I can, where can I pick one up.

Lastly, for some reason every time I walk away from my car I can't help but look back once or twice, and I rarely let the key out of my hand. Does anyone else have this problem? Haha

Thanks in advance guys.

-Ron
Old 07-02-2010, 05:58 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Hey guys,

This is correct, no DVD drive = no NAV. Also, in the main screen of your iDrive Navigation should be to the right of center, again if it doesn't say it then you don't have it. It will be expensive no matter how you do it to retrofit NAV, you need to replace everything behind your center stack of the dash - new CCC + the dealer would have to program it = $$$$$

This is another of those you can find in the iDrive, under Communications, if you have the Phone option then you have BT - if not? Yep, you don't. I don't think it was standard until 09/05 build cars - I do have it but the dealer says my TCU (Telematics Control Unit) is malfunctioning and I'd need a new one for it to work

You can get microfilters from either the dealer, or a few online retailers such as ECS and Bavauto. Also, check out our member dealers here they offer 25% discount to forum members - they are Tischer BMW and BMW of Newport

Wait until you are well down the mod road, it gets worse. I love looking at my car, even better are looking at before and after shots, amazing when I see how "Plain Jane" she looked when I got her and how badass she looks now

Thanks in advance guys.

-Ron
Old 07-02-2010, 06:14 AM
Members

Yes you can replace the microfilters yourself. Open the engine hood and on both sides closest to the windsheild you will see to large black case coverings. These are were your microfilters are located. Now to reset the microfilter theres a tread on this , not sure excactly how but you put the ignition all the way but dont start the car, hold the mileage reset button for ten seconds until you see a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in the center between the clocks. First you will see is the brake fluid symbol. let go and press again until you see the next symbol repeat this until you get to the micro filter symbol, when you get to it release the button briefly and push it in again, and hold for about 5-10 seconds until a new date appears . then shut the car off ,the new date will appear in i-drive when you start car.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

All the time, Ron...all the time.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Members

Hmm, I'm kind of bummed about the bluetootg thing, I was hoping I could just have it turned on. I have an option for phone under communication on the idrive menu, but it says "for further information please contact your bmw center". I figured I didn't have nav, I wonder if there is just a CD I can pop in that will update my software. Ill probably order the microfilters soon, my air smells a little weird I'm guessing its those filters. I guess at the next meet ill let one of you guys school me on this thing.

By the way between my tachometer and speedometer next to the place where it says p or d for what gear you're in, there's a small triangle with an exclimation point. I need my break fluid changed, could that be what's making that symbol show up? The dealer didn't give me a book with this car so I'm not too sure what it means.

Thanks

-Ron
Old 07-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Contributors

Hmm, I'm kind of bummed about the bluetootg thing, I was hoping I could just have it turned on. I have an option for phone under communication on the idrive menu, but it says "for further information please contact your bmw center". I figured I didn't have nav, I wonder if there is just a CD I can pop in that will update my software. Ill probably order the microfilters soon, my air smells a little weird I'm guessing its those filters. I guess at the next meet ill let one of you guys school me on this thing.

By the way between my tachometer and speedometer next to the place where it says p or d for what gear you're in, there's a small triangle with an exclamation point. I need my break fluid changed, could that be what's making that symbol show up? The dealer didn't give me a book with this car so I'm not too sure what it means.

Thanks
-Ron
Hi Ron - good luck getting to know your new car ... The forum will point you in the right direction (just guard your wallet )

Here's the link to an owners manual - they come in handy and the pdf is easily searched for questions about all the signs and alerts you'll be seeing < https://5series.net/information/2004..._Manual_US.pdf >

As for the NAV - If you're a heavy duty traveler you might go grab a good portable Garmin or TomTom - they're pretty cheap and work quite well. For BT - it's really handy and I retro-fitted my '01 740i some years ago for a couple hundred bucks. And it was real easy - the tech-savvy guys here will set you straight!
Old 07-03-2010, 12:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 E60 523 executive 20"ASA / Bi-Xenon / Full M-tech / LED Angel Eyes / Matte Black Kidney's / LED Side Markers

By the way between my tachometer and speedometer next to the place where it says p or d for what gear you're in, there's a small triangle with an exclimation point. I need my break fluid changed, could that be what's making that symbol show up? The dealer didn't give me a book with this car so I'm not too sure what it means.

Thanks

-Ron

To update your software you must take the car to a dealer. Then you must find a dealer who is willing to do so, because not all of them will. They will tell you t do so at own risk, because sometimes the update crashes and they will have to start over again. It takes between a couple of hours and a coupe of days!! to update the car, depending of the number of versions you will have to update (you cannot update all versions at once. Only one at the time)

The triangle on the dash simply means you have an error message, which can be read on the iDrive screen. Some errors (like door ajar) disappear when fixing the problem (closing the door all the way), other errors might require a reset from you o the dealer...

Good luck!

Old 07-03-2010, 01:17 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530d, AC front lip, AC rear boot spoiler, AC rear roof spoiler, M6 alloy wheels.

Is there any way I would be able to get navigation with out paying an astronomical amount at the dealer?
I believe Tom Tom make a unit with a sucker on the back, should stink to your idrive screen, and for a very reasonable price

Quick Reply: I`ve got a few questions