E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Hurricane Issac- rims, headlight bumper- HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 07:01 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hurricane Issac- rims, headlight bumper- HELP!

3 Part post- all from one storm-

Quick summary and story below-
1- What are people's thoughts on replica rims ($600/ a set shipping from Cali). The rear wheels have been repaired already so a new set is needed.

2- My bumper was punctured, size of a tennis ball didn't dent the metal behind the bumper.... I'm thinking some epoxy work, touch up paint and buffing. The local guy is telling me $500 cause he needs to paint the entire bumper.

3- Headlamp- jackass dealer forgot to replace the small plastic cap on the headlamp assembly... water got in and malfunctions across the board (xeon and adaptive). What do you guys think need to be replaced, just the ballasts? the entire assembly? (the yellow led lights on top still work, and high beam does too.)

I had to drive through some standing water during the storm.... nothing too high but it was hiding a huge pothole and left me with three different pains I need to fix on the car. (I have a 07 530i). Before anyone calls me a idiot for driving in that kind of weather- I was on a federal government response team... so duty called.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 W211
Model Year: 2017

1) nay on fake wheels
2) for $500 pick up a used mtech bumper
3) an excuse to pickup lci headlamps
Old 10-12-2012, 07:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Federal Govt Response team needs a more appropriate vehicle to deal with potential high water situations!! The 530i would not be my first choice...

Won't comment on the fake wheels but just be very careful about who you are dealing with. $600 bucks shipped is pretty cheap for a set of four wheels... Buyer beware.

Agreed on the bumper. To get a proper match your painter is correct, best to paint the entire bumper cover. If that is the case, might want to look at replacing as 03grey5 suggested.

lci headlamps are an option but can you get the dealer to help you out on this? Have they admitted their mistake in leaving off the plastic cap? You should have documentation that the light was worked on by them... I'd circle back and see if they'll make good. I assume you are talking about Peake. I've always had good luck with them so worth asking, maybe they will admit the mistake and at least meet you half way on the repair/replacement.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:02 AM
New Members

I just had to get to the location.... it would be one hell of a sight trying to rescue people off the top of roofs in a 5er.

They're through ebay.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-5x120-Wheels-Matte-Black-525-528-5-Series-M3-540-645-740-745-BMW-5-Lug-Rims-/390473099758?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &vxp=mtr&hash=item5aea02a9ee#ht_1853wt_1206

Roads down here as you know are brutal.... I live uptown but I'm going to try to avoid the small streets from here on out. I figured for $150 a peice I can take the gamble. Big thing is I can't imagine throwing $2k into rims on a car worth $18k

bah on the bumper .... I might go with black duct tape until I fix the other two issues first.

Are we talking about the same peake .... they've done shoddy work every single time I've brought it in (when it was all under warranty). The thing is there is no one else in town, and they make the bulk of their money on warranty repairs and new car mait.

And everything is fully documented .... but the original work on the headlight was done a yr ago $600 to replace a bunch of connectors because it was drawing up fault codes, I noticed the missing cap two months ago- asked them to replace it ($20 part ... wtf) when I dropped it off for a oil change.... them hhhummmmeeddd and haaaaadddd so I said fine order the part and I will pay for it.

When I came back around they were like oh we forgot to order it we'll call you when the part comes in. Then the storm.... I called Richard (my SA) and he hhhhhummmed and haaaddd again, tap danced left and right- I got frustrated and haven't talked to them since. Who do you deal with over there? Any suggestions on any Indy shops? FFUUGGGG ... thinking about this has my blood boiling agin.

If you see a black 5 with tinted windows around uptown and 1 headlight thats me.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport package

I believe ModBargains sells replica wheels that have JWL and VIA approval. Japan's version of DOT. Check to make sure the wheels you get have some type of certification.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Contributors

Yes, the same Peake. All my work has been maint under warranty but frankly have been lucky and after five BMW's have had nothing major. I know Richard but have never dealt with him on my cars...

All of my BMW's have been covered under the 4 yr/50k mile warranty so can't help with an indy shop here in town, sorry!

I'll keep an eye out for you. I'm uptown as well, space gray M3 sedan... Good luck!
Old 10-13-2012, 04:18 AM
Contributors

You wrote: What are people's thoughts on replica rims ($600/ a set shipping from Cali). The rear wheels have been repaired already so a new set is needed.
  • One option is to find a clean set of used original wheels - if not, and your roads are crap, avoid ultra low profile set-ups. standard 40 series tires on original 18" are the lowest I'd recommend.Even w/o tires (that you could source locally) you might find a better overall deal.

You wrote: And everything is fully documented .... but the original work on the headlight was done a yr ago $600 to replace a bunch of connectors because it was drawing up fault codes, I noticed the missing cap two months ago- asked them to replace it ($20 part ... wtf) when I dropped it off for a oil change.... them hhhummmmeeddd and haaaaadddd so I said fine order the part and I will pay for it.

When I came back around they were like oh we forgot to order it we'll call you when the part comes in. Then the storm.... I called Richard (my SA) and he hhhhhummmed and haaaddd again, tap danced left and right- I got frustrated and haven't talked to them since.

• I believe it is BMWNA "Policy" that dealers warranty service work and parts - for at least one if not two years. I recommend you look at the service repair order and receipt for the information that should apply to your issue. Their delay in making a proper repair and releasing your car in a condition that contributed to a later problem may be a discussion you have with the GENERAL MANAGER and BMWNA, not a service writer or "manager". They may be doing a CYA since any re-do's come out of their compensation program. You do know that service writers earn commissions for writing orders that are not covered under warranty programs.
Most dealers aren't blatantly dishonest - but many times it's employees/managers who are poorly trained, ill advised, or take short-cuts.

Good luck with these problems - keeping BMWs running in good order (without going broke) is headache enough without having to deal with problematic BMW service centers and dealers
Old 10-13-2012, 05:55 AM
New Members

Hey guys thanks for all the great advice. As I was fumbling under the hood I came across another issue--- I posted it on a separate thread- segways straight from the CPO questions we've had here.

https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...1/#post1473819

@KSCarrol- are you around Tulane? I've seen a space grey m3 in that area before. I'm right off magazine by Guys.

@Luigi524d- I've run it to ground .... and I've had a myriad of excuses. from its not a closed system to its not on us when a part doesn't come in in time. As much as I don't want to believe this... in New Orleans they are the only dealer .... They are ALWAYS swamped and always end up short cutting jobs... (always sloppy- forget to put caps back on, liners, scratch cars ... etc). There is so much painless work in CPO and regular warranties and mait that there's almost no reason to deal with me.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:02 AM
Contributors

Yes, teach at Tulane... Know where you are, I'm on Joseph near Chestnut. Love Guy's, good poboys!

Last edited by kscarrol; 10-13-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:10 AM
New Members

Small world.
I graduated from Tulane --- feels like a lifetime ago.

See you around!

Quick Reply: Hurricane Issac- rims, headlight bumper- HELP!