E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Humming Noise...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 11:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 530i is July 2003 production (probably the first batch). Had a few problems like squeaking noise from Comfort Seats and Active Steering rack replaced.

My latest problem is a humming noise when I let go of the gas and the car decelerates on its own. It only become noticeable in the last few weeks. It mostly happens as the vehicle is decelerating and reaches 60 kph (38 mph), +/- give or take a few kilometers. (I do have the jerking problem also mentioned in other posts).

The dealer said it is due to the tires as they become hard with time. To me, it appears to be it appears to be engine or transmission or drive shaft relates.

The vehicle has only 10,000 kms (6,250 miles).

Any one with similar experience or any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 05-18-2004, 11:52 PM
Senior Members

Hi

It shouldn't be the tires, if they only got 10000 km on them, how can they turn hard so quickly. Unfortunately, I dont hear this humming noise at the moment.

Bunbun
Old 05-18-2004, 11:53 PM

What kind of problem did you have that made your 530 needed to have Active Steering rack replaced?
Old 05-19-2004, 09:31 AM
Guest_GotBMW

Where is the noise coming from? The dash area?

If it is there is a bulletin out from BMW regarding the noise. I have it at home. It has something to due with a hose in the engine compartment.

Let me know if you would like the Service Bulletin if this is what you are experiencing.

Old 05-25-2004, 01:02 AM
Members

please send me the that service bulletin at mosherhome@aol.com
Old 05-25-2004, 02:10 AM
Members

Dear All,

1. With reference to the active steering replacement, the symptom was as follows:

While turning the steering to the left, a clicking sensation was felt (think of it like a gear slipping or something along those lines). It did not do the same while turning the steering right. Also, the sensation wasnt there since day 1; it happened after a few thousand kms. Initially (without test driving), the service advisor said it was normal due to the Active Steering option. My response was that for something to be normal it should be there from day 1 and that it should happen in both directions (left and right). They took the car in and later informed that the steering rack had to be replaced.

As a follow up, I would like to mention that something new appeared to be happening in the steering that was not present prior to the replacement. Once the steering is turned to the end (either way), it appears to be "pushing back" or clicking sensation is felt. Again, a visit to the service dept! and the same answer, "its normal". The problem did not disappear and yet another visit was scheduled. The service advisor informed that the steering rack needed to be changed again and this time ordered the parts from Germany (to arrive in 2 weeks).

2. The humming noise appears to be engine, gearbox, drive shaft, type noise (my guess). It is probably coming from under the vehicle or from in front. I don't think it is the tires as the noise immediately stops if you return your foot to the accelerator pad, touching it slightly but maintaining the deceleration. Even if it is the tires, they refused to replace tires under warranty. What is the tire warranty in the US, Europe, Far East?

$55,000 can surely buy you loads of head aches!

3. Can you please service bulletin too. Thanks

Regards
Old 05-25-2004, 06:58 AM
BMWE60

Hi 530e60,

My steering is having exactly the same problem like you had. Can you please confirm that your problem has fixed after your steering rack had replaced? Thx.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:02 AM
Members

BMWE60,

As mentioned in the post, problem not fixed; parts have been ordered from Germany.

Guest_GotBMW, can you please provide the Service Bulletin?
Thanks
Old 05-25-2004, 04:58 PM
BMWE60

Thanks 530e60. Can you please keep us updates? Thx.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:18 AM
Members

Regarding humming noise during deceleration at about 60 kph, does anyone have the service bulletin mentioned in the earlier post?

Having installed a new set of wheels and tires, I took the vehicle to BMW to help them understand it was not due to the tires (as they had previously implied). They did agree that it was not the tires but said they tested other cars and all had the same noise (probably due to transmission down shifting). However, I dont think my car had that noise from day1 which, in fact, is becoming more and more annoying now.

Quick Reply: Humming Noise...