E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Humming from dash?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 05:46 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i turn off the car, i hear a slight humming comming from the dash around where the cd player is. I thought it was the cd still spinning, but it still happens when there isn't a cd in there (or the nav cd). Is anyone else experiencing this? Thanks

cheers,
Jack
Old 08-24-2005, 06:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d
Red face

If you have confort seats, I bet that the noice you hear corresponds to the moving sides of the upper part of the seat, which support the body in the curves. This is part of the "easy-entry" function that allows to extract yourself (also for front passenger if detected) in an easier way. I think you could hear the same noice when fastening your seat belt if you do it BEFORE having started the engine but AFTER having switched the Key to the second position (just before the starter).
To confirm this, you may also set them to the maximum postion for one or two days so you can feel them retracting on your body or opening for you to go out so you can see if there is a correlation between the noice you hear and the motion.

Nota : Providing an indication as to from where comes a noice in a car is always difficult because there are lots of parameters that may alter you hearing perseption (isolation materials, pipes for the airco, seat position, number of people in the car... ...).

Good luck / Hope it helped
Old 08-24-2005, 06:54 AM
Members

Fred, thanks for all the detailed info, but unfortunatly i don't have comfort seats.

jack
Old 08-25-2005, 01:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i; Alpine White/Black Dakota/MSport/SAT/IAS/Driver Assistance/ConveniencePkg/Prem Pkg 2/4 Zone AC/Side-Top Cameras/HUD & Black panel/BMW Apps-iPhone 4 Media/M Decklid spolier /Ventureshiled clear bra/ V1 -Ordered 4/9/11, Production 4/19, Shipped on Martorell 4/23,Arrived Port Hueneme 5/19,Delivered 5/21/11

I've heard it too. Seems like it's coming from the DVD/NAV drive area. It seemed strange the first time I heard it which was within a short time after parking and turning off engine (all systems in key position 2 or higher off), but I heard it another time several hours after the car had been turned off, as I just happened to be reaching in to grab something. Maybe a cooling fan?
Old 08-25-2005, 02:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Did you have your AC on when you shut down? It could be the freon pressure equlizing through the evaporator under the dash. To know for sure, just drive a bit with the AC off, and then shut it down and listen for the noise. If you don't hear anything, then that's probably it. AC systems can make all sorts of noise after you turn them off.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (UK) Bulit: Feb 2004, 520i (M54), 6-Speed Manual, Black leather, Titanium Silver, Bi-Xenon, Headlamp washers, Side rear airbags, Park Distance Control, Aluminium trim, Standard Climate Control, 17" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's, Spacesaver Spare wheel, Jack, Dynamic drive, Service Inclusive, Chrome grills, Software version 20.01.00, E60.net Clings, Painted wheel hubs silver

Hi, guys i reckon it is the air vents closing. There are motors to seal up the vents to stop the wind blowing through them and into the cabin. I know this because the flaps on mine had to be lubricated because they were squeeking when closing.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-26-2005, 09:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ScottishBimmer' date='Aug 26 2005, 01:12 PM
Hi, guys i reckon it is the air vents closing. There are motors to seal up the vents to stop the wind blowing through them and into the cabin. I know this because the flaps on mine had to be lubricated because they were squeeking when closing.

Hope this helps.

[snapback]163682[/snapback]
Thanks a lot
Old 08-26-2005, 09:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i; Alpine White/Black Dakota/MSport/SAT/IAS/Driver Assistance/ConveniencePkg/Prem Pkg 2/4 Zone AC/Side-Top Cameras/HUD & Black panel/BMW Apps-iPhone 4 Media/M Decklid spolier /Ventureshiled clear bra/ V1 -Ordered 4/9/11, Production 4/19, Shipped on Martorell 4/23,Arrived Port Hueneme 5/19,Delivered 5/21/11

Originally Posted by ScottishBimmer' date='Aug 26 2005, 10:12 AM

Hope this helps.

[snapback]163682[/snapback]
Hmmmm....That may be, but the second time I noticed it was a good 2 hours after the engine had been turned off and the car had been in the garage.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by gwf545' date='Aug 26 2005, 12:32 AM
Did you have your AC on when you shut down?? It could be the freon pressure equlizing through the evaporator under the dash.? To know for sure, just drive a bit with the AC off, and then shut it down and listen for the noise.? If you don't hear anything, then that's probably it.? AC systems can make all sorts of noise after you turn them off.
[snapback]163355[/snapback]
Freon is not used anymore!

At least somebody tries to do something about in environment!
Old 08-31-2005, 12:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

I hear the same. And yes even with the key off and after couple of hours - and here it comes - after couple of hours when RE-ENTRING the car, which means, OPENING the drivers doors.........which....... pre-STARTS the I-drive computer even while the screen is still of. So it is probably electronics and maybe a processor cooling fan or something there for the I-drive computer. Or the I-drive checking for CD. DVD slots even while empty
How about that?

Quick Reply: Humming from dash?