E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HUD Screen Went Black

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 03:20 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06 550i M Sport, 6 Speed Manual
Default HUD Screen Went Black

Hey guys,

I let my father in law drive the 550 the other night when I was out of town and he called me saying the HUD "turned off" while he was driving.

I took a look online seeing if anyone else has had this problem but I haven't had much luck. It's hard for me really explain what happened because I wasn't there but according to him he was driving down the road and it went black. He parked it at my house and turned the vehicle on and off attempting to hopefully reset something and nothing. Once I eventually got home I got in my car, turned it on and everything was working properly, no black screen......

Anyone else have this problem? Its either he is going crazy in his old age or something may be wrong.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-16-2013, 09:19 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe he tried to flip another switch and ended up turning off the HUD? He says he turned the car off and back on - did he ever cycle the HUD switch, or was that only when you got to it? Not trying to criticize your FIL - at night finding the right switch might not happen with someone unfamiliar with the car.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535xi Purchased 2/2011Sapphire Black MetallicNatural Brown LeatherPremium, Sport & Cold Weather

Sure he's not talking about the iDrive? HUD really isn't a screen, it projects to the windshield.

Originally Posted by Bobbadio
Hey guys,

I let my father in law drive the 550 the other night when I was out of town and he called me saying the HUD "turned off" while he was driving.

I took a look online seeing if anyone else has had this problem but I haven't had much luck. It's hard for me really explain what happened because I wasn't there but according to him he was driving down the road and it went black. He parked it at my house and turned the vehicle on and off attempting to hopefully reset something and nothing. Once I eventually got home I got in my car, turned it on and everything was working properly, no black screen......

Anyone else have this problem? Its either he is going crazy in his old age or something may be wrong.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-16-2013, 10:47 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by cryptical
Sure he's not talking about the iDrive? HUD really isn't a screen, it projects to the windshield.
i was going to ask this...... you probably mean CID (central info display) if you are trying to use the technical term
Old 04-16-2013, 03:08 PM
New Members

My Ride: 06 550i M Sport, 6 Speed Manual

I'm sorry guys, both of you are correct. That is what I meant to say. Not the HUD the actual screen itself went black. I went online and the only thing I found was that there is a small button near the headlights on the left hand side of the steering wheel that has the ability to turn the screen on and off. I can't find it though. The car hasn't had any problems since then, maybe the old geezer started hitting buttons that he shouldn't have been touching.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

The HUD on / off switch is the top button to the right of the headlight rotary switch.

The CIC Control Display (I-Drive screen) can be turned off via the iDrive controller Options button -> Switch off Control Display

The CCC Control Display can be turned off via iDrive menu (push controller in), Display Off (I believe). I can't remember.