E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HUD

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 01:02 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Canada545' date='May 17 2005, 01:02 PM
[quote name='Merzbow' date='May 17 2005, 01:29 PM']Another option I'm glad I didn't get. I've been driving with polarized sunglasses for five years and so this would have been wasted money...
[snapback]129752[/snapback]
Everyone is saying it's a great option but you're happy you didn't get it because of your sunglasses ... Mmmmm... they must be really nice sunglasses
[snapback]129765[/snapback]
[/quote]
ofcourse you know that HUD is worthless to him while he is wearing his "really nice sunglasses"
Old 05-17-2005, 01:50 PM
Senior Members

Does polarized sunglasses really "block" the HUD? I thought I could recall someone saying it would NOT block that kind of light/reflection?
Old 05-17-2005, 05:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)
Talking

Originally Posted by Canada545' date='May 17 2005, 01:02 PM
[quote name='Merzbow' date='May 17 2005, 01:29 PM']Another option I'm glad I didn't get. I've been driving with polarized sunglasses for five years and so this would have been wasted money...
[snapback]129752[/snapback]
Everyone is saying it's a great option but you're happy you didn't get it because of your sunglasses ... Mmmmm... they must be really nice sunglasses
[snapback]129765[/snapback]
[/quote]

I own a dozen pairs of really expensive polarized sunglasses, and never drive or walk in the sun without them. Not for medical reasons, just because they let me see much better in the bright sun. Call me a freak...

Old 05-17-2005, 07:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by paasan' date='May 17 2005, 03:50 PM
Does polarized sunglasses really "block" the HUD? I thought I could recall someone saying it would NOT block that kind of light/reflection?
[snapback]129847[/snapback]
Manual says "Sunglasses with CERTAIN polarization filters" may influence discernability of HUD. By that I surmise that some polorizations may not effect the ability to see display.

So with a dozen polorized glasses maybe Merzbow has a chance to test this theory in a test drive of HUD
Old 05-17-2005, 07:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Merzbow' date='May 17 2005, 05:45 PM
I own a dozen pairs of really expensive polarized sunglasses, and never drive or walk in the sun without them. Not for medical reasons, just because they let me see much better in the bright sun. Call me a freak...

[snapback]129949[/snapback]

FREAK! J/K... I just had to do it.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:59 PM
Contributors

I had $400 polarized prescription glasses when I got the HUD and it cut the image to nearly nothing (but it was visible a tiny bit). HUD is so important to me that I replaced the lenses for $250 to tinted and mirrored with prescription and no polarizers. HUD shows me information (speed, nav, cruise) better and quicker than the small numbers and marks on the gages in the dash. I would have to stare at the gage longer to read it. Yes, my eyes are not 20 years old anymore. So, I recommend HUD for those with bifocals or other vision problems that will have a difficulty with the dash numerals. When I say problem, I refer to the extra 1/10 of second it takes to read the dash gage than it does the big numbers in the HUD. That's an extra 1/10 of a second your eyes are off the road.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by sg530' date='May 18 2005, 09:59 PM
I had $400 polarized prescription glasses when I got the HUD and it cut the image to nearly nothing (but it was visible a tiny bit).? HUD is so important to me that I replaced the lenses for $250 to tinted and mirrored with prescription and no polarizers.? HUD shows me information (speed, nav, cruise) better and quicker than the small numbers and marks on the gages in the dash.? I would have to stare at the gage longer to read it. Yes, my eyes are not 20 years old anymore. So, I recommend HUD for those with bifocals or other vision problems that will have a difficulty with the dash numerals.? When I say problem, I refer to the extra 1/10 of second it takes to read the dash gage than it does the big numbers in the HUD.? That's an extra 1/10 of a second your eyes are off the road.?
[snapback]130439[/snapback]
You beat me to it. I was going to make exactly the same comment. Used my prescription (bifocal, non poloraized) sunglasses going home yesterday for first time. Heading due west at 4PM in Central Florida. I was focused ahead so outside and HUD were just fine. came up on slower traffic and wanted to see gear I was in. I could hardly read the dash. iDrive screen was pretty dim, but readable. Kept looking at HUD and it actually seemed brighter than normal. It was the contrast caused by the very dark tint of my glasses. Swapped for my non tinted trifocals and everything inside got much better but HUD had less contrast although still very visible. And I was squinting pretty bad so back to sunglasses. HUD looked as though it brightened right up. Very good outcome for me overall.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by vern' date='May 17 2005, 07:42 PM
You can ONLY see HUD when you are directly in front of it.
[snapback]129704[/snapback]
Not even somebody sitting behind the driver can see it. ONLY the driver himself!
Old 05-22-2005, 07:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Originally Posted by sg530' date='May 18 2005, 08:59 PM
I had $400 polarized prescription glasses when I got the HUD and it cut the image to nearly nothing (but it was visible a tiny bit).? HUD is so important to me that I replaced the lenses for $250 to tinted and mirrored with prescription and no polarizers.? HUD shows me information (speed, nav, cruise) better and quicker than the small numbers and marks on the gages in the dash.? I would have to stare at the gage longer to read it. Yes, my eyes are not 20 years old anymore. So, I recommend HUD for those with bifocals or other vision problems that will have a difficulty with the dash numerals.? When I say problem, I refer to the extra 1/10 of second it takes to read the dash gage than it does the big numbers in the HUD.? That's an extra 1/10 of a second your eyes are off the road.?
[snapback]130439[/snapback]
I find that all I care about on the dash on a regular basis is the speed, and by using the speed warning feature I accomplish my goal of being sure that I'm under whatever speed I deem too much for the time being without ever having to look at the dash (usually 85, just fast enough I can slow down safely when the V1 picks up a scent).
Old 11-20-2005, 08:32 AM
Members

I have HUD & I love the combination of Active Cruise Control + Nav + HUD. (I think I saw someone else liked this combination + Comfort seat....)

BTW, I also like BMW interior including instrument penal & i-Drive screen. With HUD, I see them less. Could this be a problem??

Quick Reply: HUD