E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HP Fuel Pump Failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Evotivo
Just a question about this recall, your saying it's a ten year/100,000 mile warranty on just the fuel pump? I knew about the recall but did not know they extended it. Thanks for making this post cause I would never known.

Also Persian,
How do you clear codes once you remove the jb4. Or do you clear codes then remove jb4. I only ask because I also have a jb4 and this would be good to know if I ever need to bring my car in.
I use this to clear codes http://burgertuning.com/CAN_reader_tool_for_BMW.html, was $120 when I bought it but it's on sale now for $79. I believe there is also a way to hook up your JB4 to your laptop, and also a steering wheel option. Since I use the CAN tool I haven't tried the other two ways, your best bet is to email Terry at burger tuning and see what he says.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:50 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i

Originally Posted by Evotivo
Just a question about this recall, your saying it's a ten year/100,000 mile warranty on just the fuel pump? I knew about the recall but did not know they extended it. Thanks for making this post cause I would never known.
I believe it is actually 125k.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Wow, just re-read my last post and one might think I have a Bat mobile when I mention spyware...lol I gues I should have had my glasses on!

Ok, here is the latest. I ran the code check via the steering wheel and it flashed five codes. The codes are suppose to have four digits. At the beginning, it starts at zero and then goes to 20-100-150 then blink blink. It did seem to stay a little longer on 100 so not sure if this means x2 for 100 .... The next three sets were clearly four digits and then the last set was three digits ending on zero.

20 ->100 -> 150 -> Blink Blink ( 2 A F )

20 ->100 -> 20 ->130 -> Blink Blink ( 2 A 2 D )

20 ->90 -> 150 ->30 -> Blink Blink ( 2 9 F 3 )

20 ->90 -> 130 ->120 -> Blink Blink ( 2 9 D C )

20 ->130 -> 60 -> END ( 2 D C )

I went out to car while at the dealer and turned off the JB4 or I thought I did. An hour later they still said they cannot get a reading. When I returned to collect the car I checked the setting again, and it was back at 2 so this means that it was still active while they were trying to read and it will not allow for communication. Looks like I didn't get it turned off...

Next step is to remove the JB4 and take car to another dealer about an hour away and see what they say. Of course I will make no mention of the software and hopefully the first dealer only logged it locally and not in a national database. I know they never once mentioned the warranty or any of it being voided.

After searching the forums, it looks like a few of the codes listed above are fuel related. One is a pump issue and another was a low fuel pressure.

I already emailed Terry the codes so hopefully he has time this weekend to confirm them.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i

Maybe you already have, but if not, make sure you clear any "tuner" codes before taking it off.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by ProMed
Maybe you already have, but if not, make sure you clear any "tuner" codes before taking it off.
Terry confirmed the codes that are displayed are all fuel related and teh main code read by a handheld reader said fuel pump, so I will leave these in until it goes back to the dealer so they can se them. So far, the car appears to be back to normal but the check engine light remains on. Yesterday, I was charged 130.00 for their attempt to read the codes. I am assuming that the other dealer when they read the codes they will replace the fuel pump... It would really suck for them to tell me even though the codes are there that they have reset them and all seems ok now, bring it back if you have any more problems... BTW, that will be another $130.00 for our analysis!!!

The dealer also stated that not all 535's are covered under this HPFP warranty, they have to check in the system and confirm the VIN. I know for sure mine is under this warranty. I read a few post where it might have been implied that all were covered. Sound like at some point they may have deemed it fix and a those newer cars may not be covered... It's probably worth calling and asking just so ya know.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Senior Members

UPDATE FROM DEALER:

I have a 08 535 N54 Eng. HPFP has already been replaced. I had the stumbling and cutting off with the engine and took it to dealer they said it?s the low pressure fuel sensor. The car had several codes.

P142e ? From autozone code reader

From Dealer
B1214 - OBD Read Error
D6121 - Power drain ? Could be a bad battery
D1330 - Low pres fuel sensor?.
29F3 - Fuel pres sensor short circuit or interruption
2A2D - Diff pressure sensor ? MUST BE WHAT THEY WANT TO REPLACE
29DC - says normally requires fuel pump change

From JB4 Software that was on car
2AAF - Fuel pump plausibility ? seems to be a very common code?
29F3
29DC - Codes from car JB-4 software
2DC or 2DC0 - ?????

At the end of the day they say it?s a bad low pressure sensor and it needs to be replaced. This concerns me since there are so many fuel related codes. Is it possible that the HPFP is causing all of this, or this one sensor is doing it all?