E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How's Your (AS) Parallel Parking?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 07:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

I have had some fairly hilarious parking experiences in town with this car. It's true enough that I don't parallel park much any more, but when I have, with this new car, I have gotten out to find myself postioned fairly oddly in the space.

Last week, I wrenched myself into a space and thought I was fine, only to discover that the whole car was about two feet from the curb, with the tail end probably 3 feet out, even sticking out into the driving lane past the pickup truck behind me. How is this possible?

Not wanting anyone to recognize my stupidity, I had to get back into the car and straighten it out. But this has happened more than once: I am having difficulty seeing out the rear of this thing (and I'm 6'3") and relying more on the PDC. Then of course, there is the tendency to over correct with the AS wheel at its lowest ratio. Sure, I use the dipping right side mirror, but I still haven't gotten the hang of it yet.

I honestly think it is a visibility issue, compounded by the AS and wondered if anyone else has this problem (I'm 2+ months ownership).

Can I blame this on Bangle?

Ray Hull
Old 01-16-2006, 07:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='224955' date='Jan 16 2006, 11:27 AM
I have had some fairly hilarious parking experiences in town with this car. It's true enough that I don't parallel park much any more, but when I have, with this new car, I have gotten out to find myself postioned fairly oddly in the space.

Last week, I wrenched myself into a space and thought I was fine, only to discover that the whole car was about two feet from the curb, with the tail end probably 3 feet out, even sticking out into the driving lane past the pickup truck behind me. How is this possible?

Not wanting anyone to recognize my stupidity, I had to get back into the car and straighten it out. But this has happened more than once: I am having difficulty seeing out the rear of this thing (and I'm 6'3") and relying more on the PDC. Then of course, there is the tendency to over correct with the AS wheel at its lowest ratio. Sure, I use the dipping right side mirror, but I still haven't gotten the hang of it yet.

I honestly think it is a visibility issue, compounded by the AS and wondered if anyone else has this problem (I'm 2+ months ownership).

Can I blame this on Bangle?

Ray Hull
Sorry, Ray, no and no for me.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:32 AM
Contributors

Ray, I too don't parallel park much anymore, any I too find myself feet away from the curb on almost every attempt. I'm not sure who to blame. and for what reason
Old 01-16-2006, 07:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Sport, Alpine White, Biege Interior, Steptronic, NAV, HUD, Ventilated Seats, Active Cruise, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Logic7, Sirius

I think this car is very easy to parallel park. But I do it a couple of times a day. I rely heavily on the view from the tilt down mirror. I do over correct occasionally but I'm getting better. I have also had my car for a couple of months.

Keep trying. You'll get the hang of it!
Old 01-16-2006, 07:55 AM
Senior Members

I think it's pretty easy to park to.. The PDC is great, and even so the tilt-down function !

65.000 km and almost 2 years now - NO digns or scratches on the wheels And that's an E60 ! My mons car - A VW Polo (2003) with some nice 16" rims, has scratches on 3 wheels after only this summer

She dosen't drive the BMW.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

On occassion when I have to parallel park I get it in there after a turn here and a turn there, patience is a virtue I think??? ,
Old 01-16-2006, 08:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Comfort Access, Xenon Headlights, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Steptronic Transmission. Silver Gray Metallic with Gray Leather. Added Red rear reflectors. Swapped stock Style 124 wheels and Bridgestone run-flat tires for BMW Style 125 5-Double Spoke wheels, 8" x 19" front, 9.5" x 19" rear with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires, 245/40YR-19 front and 275/30YR-19 rear.

I am very happy with my standard steering on my 550i. The tilt-down rear view mirror helps avoid the curb and the PDC helps avoid touching the car behind. I find the 550 very easy to parallel park.

My Lexus LS430 also has a rear view camera that is a great help in parking.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:22 AM
Senior Members

When parking in very tight spaces i do feel the need for as. But that's about all.
No problems here with parallel parking although i have a scratch about an inch on my front-right rim. Dunno where did it came from....
Old 01-16-2006, 03:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

I have to parallel park a lot where I am, and it did take me a while to get used to AS and PDC but now I think its pretty easy parking the E60.

One thing though -
I use the side mirrors to see how far I am from the curb, and for some reason, in the mirror the E60 looks closer to the curb than it really is compared to other cars I've owned. As a result, if I want to be just a few inches from the curb, I have to park the car so that in the mirror it looks like the side of the car is on top of the curb. I think it has to do with the angular line on the side of the E60 near the door handles that stick out a bit from the body...
Old 01-16-2006, 06:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Well since I am always afraid of curbing the rims, I tend to end up farther away from the curb than I would like - but on purpose sort of.

However, is it just me or are the mirrors on this car small?

Quick Reply: How's Your (AS) Parallel Parking?