E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How to spot a car euipped with Logic 7

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 09:57 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='667573' date='Sep 12 2008, 12:13 AM
Sure there's a speaker and not just a hole for the speaker?
My better half is driving it, today, but I'll look again, tonight. Would it be normal for an E60 to have a hole for the speaker there?
Old 09-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='667992' date='Sep 12 2008, 01:57 PM
My better half is driving it, today, but I'll look again, tonight. Would it be normal for an E60 to have a hole for the speaker there?
I'm not 100% sure but I think I saw the speaker grill on some non L7 cars, considering you don't see L7 in iDrive, i'd imagine that its cheaper for BMW to leave the space rather than have 2 dash part numbers (or 3 since the HUD equiped cars have another hole cut in the dash)
Old 05-20-2010, 05:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 545felix
they both have speakers under the seat, the L7 ones are bigger and hooked up to a more powerful amplifier.
I bought a 535! 2,008 w/o the L7 system on it and found several used L7 amps on Ebay.and wanted to install unit my self. Apart from the amplifier, do you know if the stock wiring can be used to connect the L7 amp ? and Do I need to change the Original Radio Unit as well. ?
Old 05-20-2010, 05:35 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by ehoyco
I bought a 535! 2,008 w/o the L7 system on it and found several used L7 amps on Ebay.and wanted to install unit my self. Apart from the amplifier, do you know if the stock wiring can be used to connect the L7 amp ? and Do I need to change the Original Radio Unit as well. ?
Nope, I don't think all the wiring is there since the L7 system has more speakers, also you would need the dealer to reprogram the iDrive to recognize the new amp/system - it's not cheap. You're better off upgrading the speakers you have than going the full L7 route if you don't have it.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 525i, 6 Speed Manual, Premium/Sport Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Light Control

I also believe there are speakers in the rear door on models with Logic 7. I used that as a visual cue for an upgraded audio system as my old car did not have rear door speakers and it had the standard audio.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:40 AM
Senior Members

Adding to this, Not all L7 would come with CD changer, Mine has L7 but not CD changer (6CD) in glove box. Its pre-wired for the changer though..
Old 05-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ
I'm not 100% sure but I think I saw the speaker grill on some non L7 cars, considering you don't see L7 in iDrive, i'd imagine that its cheaper for BMW to leave the space rather than have 2 dash part numbers (or 3 since the HUD equiped cars have another hole cut in the dash)
+1 I have the center speaker grill but no speakers in it. I don't have Logic 7. I also heard that if there is a vent near that grill (which I have), it's not Logic 7.

Balbs
Old 05-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

The main difference between the L7 and Non-L7 is the L7 cars have 2 rear door speakers, 1 center channel dash speaker, and a larger amp in the trunk that runs power to all speakers, instead of the HU and small bass amp doing all the work. However speaker sizes are identical all other locations of the car. Unfortunately the systems are not interchangable w/o some programming do to the sound logic of the HU, and I believe the L7 amp is run off a fiber connection which the non-L7 cars do not have pre-wired.

And as others have stated, the best way is just check the sound settings in the iDrive menu easy and simple!
Old 05-20-2010, 11:51 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by balbs
+1 I have the center speaker grill but no speakers in it. I don't have Logic 7. I also heard that if there is a vent near that grill (which I have), it's not Logic 7.

Balbs
+1
Old 02-13-2011, 04:45 AM
New Members

Hi guys, I'm bringing this topic to life
I encountered the opportunity to get the L7 out of a wrecked E60 (pre LCI) My car is also an preLCI E60 fitted with that crappy german standard sound system (2 subs, 4 speakears, no tweeters)
Now, as I am really not familiar with such undertakings and couldn't find all the info in one place, I have some questions:

1. What would I need to take from the wrecked car?

I know that L7 is comprised of 13 items - 1 central speaker, 2 front doors tweeters, 2 front door speakers, 2 underseat subs, 2 rear doors speakers, 2 rear parcel speakers+2tweeters.

Considering my car's configuration i would need also brackets (mounting) for the back doors (currently nothing installed there) and upper covers for both front and rear doors (L7 is round as standard is rectangular)

I will also disassemble the entire wiring harness, from CCC to the rear deck.

2. what are the other system components I should need? The L7 module is mounted where? (dashboard or trunk)

3. Besides the 13 items, brackets and exterior covers, L7 module and wiring harness, is there something else I need to consider?

4. My CCC (BMW Professional)would be compatible wih the L7 wiring and electronics(with proper coding, of course) - any risk there? both cars are pre LCI (donor is 2004, recipient 09 2006)

Thanks a lot for the patience for reading and replying to my story

Quick Reply: How to spot a car euipped with Logic 7