E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How to repair headlight micro-scratch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 09:26 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to repair headlight micro-scratch?

I noticed some small scratches on my headlights, mainly the top edges (see attached). Is there anyway I can polish or fix it?

It's parked in the sun quite often...would the sun be the culprit of the problem?
Attached Thumbnails How to repair headlight micro-scratch?-imag0987.jpg   How to repair headlight micro-scratch?-imag0988.jpg  
Old 01-13-2013, 01:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi w/Sport, Premium, Cold weather. Silver Gray Metallic, Black Dakota leather interior.

You should post in the detailing subforum.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Yes there are several ways. Some detail shops re-do them with a polish and others sand the re-clear. Either is probably ok. Or you can do it youself. I've seen several threads regarding this, but if you don't have the equipment you would need to do it by hand and you might not get the same result. A drill with the right pad may also work. Sometimes it can be cheaper to have it done instead of having to purchase everything, but that takes the pride and fun away.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N62

I have the same issue on mine. I plan on lightly wet sanding, machine polish, apply sealant, and then wax.

BTW, the sun doesn't cause scratches. :-) It's most likely from road debris and/or from car washing.

Last edited by Dishoom; 01-13-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:46 PM
Members

Novus 3 step plastic polish! I've used it on my motorcycle windshields and helmet faceshields for years, and recently used it to restore headllights on our minivan, and it worked wonderfully. It can be applied by hand or a buffer.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Dishoom
I have the same issue on mine. I plan on lightly wet sanding, machine polish, apply sealant, and then wax.

BTW, the sun doesn't cause scratches. :-) It's most likely from road debris and/or from car washing.
Please keep me updated!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by darkrider
Novus 3 step plastic polish! I've used it on my motorcycle windshields and helmet faceshields for years, and recently used it to restore headllights on our minivan, and it worked wonderfully. It can be applied by hand or a buffer.
Can you post pics of the result?
Old 01-13-2013, 10:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Yes there are several ways. Some detail shops re-do them with a polish and others sand the re-clear. Either is probably ok. Or you can do it youself. I've seen several threads regarding this, but if you don't have the equipment you would need to do it by hand and you might not get the same result. A drill with the right pad may also work. Sometimes it can be cheaper to have it done instead of having to purchase everything, but that takes the pride and fun away.
Shucks, maybe I'll dig around my dad's garage, probably has DA somewhere...
Old 01-14-2013, 02:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

One thing to do is tape off the body around the lights. Otherwise, you might burn the paint with the buffer. Not sure how removing them would work unless you have a good way to hold and secure them.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Members

I'll see if I can get some pics. I didn't take any before and afters to show the difference. The vehicle I did it on was a 2005 Chrysler Town and Country (aka the family truckster). Scratches and pitting were pretty bad though, as was yellowing (primary reason). I pulled the headlights, wrapped them in a towel, and put them in my woodworking vice to avoid any surrounding paint damage from the buffer. With a buffer, it took me approximately 30-45 minutes a light. I do my motorcycle face shield by hand, and that ususally takes about an hour to get out all of the light scratches out.

Quick Reply: How to repair headlight micro-scratch?