E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How paranoid are you?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by LessIsMore
I used to be that way - but for good cause: was driving unreliable modified POS cars in college, and they would break a lot. Plus internet forums had come along and I was reading all the horror stories people post. I carried that paranoia for years. Always turning down the radio to see if it was my engine knocking, or rolling down the windows to see if it was my car smelling like clutch, or thinking about what would happen if my new brake pads failed, or my tire popped on the highway, etc. 99.99% of the time I worried, nothing was wrong and nothing broke.

Lesson learned? Worry is pointless and will cause you more stress than any actual problems you encounter - just be prepared (emergency maneuver knowledge, increasing your driving skills, an AAA membership, extra tools in trunk, someone to call in emergency, etc.) and don't obsess. it will happen whether you worry or not, and the anxiety will be far more detrimental to your quality of life or driving experience than any actual problems you happen to have.

Also, don't let reading forums ruin your driving experience - people come here when they have problems or to complain about something, not to post "Hey, I had my 378th trouble-free day in a row!" Keep that in mind.
Good points, I don't obsess about it that much really, but when I smell or hear something that's not right I do want to make sure it isn't me. I have to admit, I have never worried about if my new brake pads failed, I have always installed my own and bedded them properly.

Most of the time, the music is up, the windows are down (gotta love living in SoCal), and the car is humming along.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:51 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545 Black Sapphire Black Dakota sport package

Rule No. 1 NOBODY drives my baby
Old 01-06-2013, 10:44 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by pjinca
It occurred to me today that I am pretty paranoid about my car. I was driving to work behind a Toyota 4runner and I started to hear a weird squeaking noise coming from my front end. I started getting worried,but I was near my exit,so I figured I'd sort it out when I parked at work. I switched lanes and passed the 4runner, only to hear the sound even louder coming from HIS front end, not mine. I had to laugh.
Then coming home I started to smell anti-freeze, knee jerk I start going through my check messages, nothing again it stopped when I passed a crappy pickup truck.
Then, nearing my house, I smelled the unmistakeable smell of burning oil. There was no car really close and this had me worried, until I reached the next light and an older Mitsubishi poured blue smoke from in front of me when the light turned green.
I am not usually this paranoid, but it seems whenever you get your car back from the shop (mine was in for almost a month after an accident) your senses are heightened to what might be next.
Is it just me?
You may be feeling some sort of PTSD from your last accident and somewhat worried about how your car is fixed up...It's normal.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:56 PM
Members
Senior Members

Of course I am paranoid, and for two (IMO) very good reasons:

1. I enjoy driving it so much that I hate to be without it.

2. Let's be honest with ourselves - these cars break more often than most other cars. And the parts are expensive.

This is the sixteenth car I have owned (including two Porsches), nearly all purchased new, and never, ever, ever, on any of my previous cars (most with as many miles as my 545i and a few with twice as many miles as my 545i) did I ever have an alternator fail, a leak in my transmission, a dashboard display screen go bad, a water pump go bad, a major oil leak in the engine requiring its removal, a burst coolant overflow tank or a brake booster pump fail. Was I just lucky, good at picking reliable cars or did I maintained my cars well? I never had even one of these failures on fifteen previous cars but I have had all of them on my 545i.

So yes, I am very sensitive to any change in the engine sound, smell or vibration.

It's tough living with a high-strung stallion, but I fully admit there is nothing like sinking the spurs into her and then hanging on for the wild ride!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:03 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2009 535i Sport
Model Year: 2009
Engine: N54

in bold below -

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
This is the sixteenth car I have owned (including two Porsches), nearly all purchased new, and never, ever, ever, on any of my previous cars (most with as many miles as my 545i and a few with twice as many miles as my 545i) did I ever have

an alternator fail,
common on a lot of cars, not just 5 or BMW

a leak in my transmission,

a dashboard display screen go bad,
well, if prior cars didn't have a display screen ...

a water pump go bad,

a major oil leak in the engine requiring its removal,
hmm, I think this is mainly a "feature" to your 4.4L V8, those engines apparently don't have good reliability.

a burst coolant overflow tank or
no clue on that one

a brake booster pump fail.
bad luck

Was I just lucky, good at picking reliable cars or did I maintained my cars well? I never had even one of these failures on fifteen previous cars but I have had all of them on my 545i.

545is are the most problem-prone of any of the E60's, so i think that fact, combined with your prior good luck/maintenance on other cars, is making for such a disparate experience. However since you said you've been buying cars mostly new, and based on your total count I assume you must swap them out every year or three at least depending on your age, you may not actually have owned the cars long enough to have the problems above show up. Whereas a 545i is at least 7 years old ... so can't compare the problem list of a 2 year old car to a 7-8 year old car.

If I'm wrong about swapping cars frequently, and instead of selling them you're simply amassing a huge car collection over the years , and did/do own the other cars into the same age, please pardon.

Last edited by LessIsMore; 01-07-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

"a brake booster pump fail.
bad luck"

Actually I believe there's a brake booster recall for the 545 and 550.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 535 Alpine White

Originally Posted by balbs
"a brake booster pump fail.
bad luck"

Actually I believe there's a brake booster recall for the 545 and 550.

Yes there is and most cars already got the fix, the newest recall was the battery cable, which is a simple fix.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by LessIsMore
in bold below -

545is are the most problem-prone of any of the E60's, so i think that fact, combined with your prior good luck/maintenance on other cars, is making for such a disparate experience. However since you said you've been buying cars mostly new, and based on your total count I assume you must swap them out every year or three at least depending on your age, you may not actually have owned the cars long enough to have the problems above show up. Whereas a 545i is at least 7 years old ... so can't compare the problem list of a 2 year old car to a 7-8 year old car.

If I'm wrong about swapping cars frequently, and instead of selling them you're simply amassing a huge car collection over the years , and did/do own the other cars into the same age, please pardon.
You don't need to defend BMW, and I hope that by your mentioning that each item breaks on other cars too your point is not that you consider the BMW overall to be as reliable as some other cars (read Japanese). It is a different, high-performance animal, but in the department of reliability it falls behind.

I love the performance, and the maintenance is what it is. I understand the items I listed break on other cars too, but I personally have not seen so many things on one car before.

All of my cars were ridden long and hard. I am including all of the cars I purchased for myself, my wife and my kids. I have done the pm maintenance and repair on all of them unless the problem is over my head. Most of the cars were driven 80K-110K miles, with three going to 180K miles (944 Turbo, 911, Camaro, RX7, 2 Camrys, Avalon, Maxima, Pontiac 6000, Quest, SC430, Accord, Altima Coupe, Pinto and Forerunner in no particular order).

Yeah, the 545i is the problem child of the E60s, no doubt. Luckily most of the repairs on mine weren't done while I owned the car. I have the complete service records back to when the car was two years old with 18K miles on it.

And don't misunderstand. I was not surprised or blindsided by the maintenance needs of a BMW. I clearly knew what I was getting into and would do it again in a heart beat. The car I bought was in outstanding condition inside and outside, and was maintained for the last four years under a bumper to bumper warranty at a BMW dealer. All items were repaired with a $50 deductible so it was babied, lacked nothing, still had four months left on the extended warranty when I bought it and was a bargain for the money I paid.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I have to be honest, my car has been VERY reliable (one of the reasons I specifically chose the M54 engine in my E60 - it had been made by BMW for years and was extremely reliable, as almost all NA I6's from BMW are). The common thing that go wrong with it is the oil filter housing gasket, that's about it really.
The other stuff? My CCC unit and TCU did fail, the LCD screen in the middle of the gauge cluster also seemingly failed (however that was fixed with a reset at the dealer, not a replacement).
Other than that nothing really except for my rough idle that I posted about earlier - which is the first mechanical issue I have had with the engine.
I have owned 37 cars, and my E60 has been i the top 5 in terms of reliability.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
I have to be honest, my car has been VERY reliable (one of the reasons I specifically chose the M54 engine in my E60 - it had been made by BMW for years and was extremely reliable, as almost all NA I6's from BMW are). The common thing that go wrong with it is the oil filter housing gasket, that's about it really.
The other stuff? My CCC unit and TCU did fail, the LCD screen in the middle of the gauge cluster also seemingly failed (however that was fixed with a reset at the dealer, not a replacement).
Other than that nothing really except for my rough idle that I posted about earlier - which is the first mechanical issue I have had with the engine.
I have owned 37 cars, and my E60 has been i the top 5 in terms of reliability.
You did exactly what I have done on most (not all but most) of my other cars. Read reviews and picked cars, especially those for basic transportation, based upon their reputation for reliability.

When I purchased the 545i I knew BMW was not known for reliability, and the 545i in particular was a stinker. But I wanted to couple balls out speed with outstanding handling at a reasonable price and it fit the bill perfectly.

Quick Reply: How paranoid are you?