E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Do you try to play around with your car's tail?
Never
40.91%
Once a year
15.91%
Once a month
16.67%
Once a week
15.15%
Daily
6.06%
Always
5.30%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

How often do you switch off the DSC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 03:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

I am trying to figure out the attitude of E60 drivers, whether they like to drift with their cars or not.

I try to play around with my car at least once a week, sometimes daily. It is real fun in modrate curves where you can utilize some opposite steering and get some drifts. But the problem I face is that doing donuts is very tricky. The weight of the car is not easy to handle at all and the car drifts sideways pretty easily .

Anyways, just wanted to know how often do you switch of the traction control .
Old 10-13-2005, 05:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530d High Executive

I use it pretty often, you can make incredible powerslides (you have to push the DSC btton for about 3 seconds to get everything off!!) with a 530d. Almost as easy to control as an e36 or e30.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Shebs' date='Oct 13 2005, 06:11 AM
I am trying to figure out the attitude of E60 drivers, whether they like to drift with their cars or not.

I try to play around with my car at least once a week, sometimes daily. It is real fun in modrate curves where you can utilize some opposite steering and get some drifts. But the problem I face is that doing donuts is very tricky. The weight of the car is not easy to handle at all and the car drifts sideways pretty easily .

Anyways, just wanted to know how often do you switch of the traction control? .
[snapback]183634[/snapback]
I switch both DSC and DTS off unless I am going to be on a high speed road or it is raining, etc. I don't like anything monkeying with my car's HP except me.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:43 PM
Members

Lots of times on my 3 series - never on my 5 series. Different cars for different purposes.

Jim
Old 10-13-2005, 05:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

I'll tap the DSC button once ("DTC activated, DSC limited") on a daily basis, but only if I remember.
Both systems are off only if I want to have a little more fun with driving or if a situation presents itself.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:42 AM
Senior Members

:'( WOOOOOOOOOOOWWW
The poll results are kinda scary and sad. I mean yeah the e60 is a bigger car but hell it doesn't mean u can't or ur not allowed to drift it because it is in an upper class (3series). I tell you: IT'S NOT DIFFERENT CARS, DIFFERENT PURPOSES. It's all about the driver. Maybe it should be more like different driver, different attitudes. Hell i saw a merc s600 slide around a corner.

But indeed the poll result is sad. I mean really never? Come on ppl...not even curious? Yeah, my opinion is that if you don't ever push your car (speed, drifts and so on...) you just bought the wrong car. I mean come on who buys a bmw only for luxury...You buy this brand because it handels in the best possible way and for the sheer driving pleasure. (that doesn't mean crusing at 70km/h) .

Of course there are cars better suites for drifts, but that doesn't mean if you want to go sideways from time to time this car won't do just fine. I was impressed by the balance of the car and by the fact that even though it has +1700 kg it doesn't show up and the car is so manuvreble even at the limit when going sideways.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:53 PM
Members

My Ride: Curently 530i 2006 S500 2006 Late S320 2001 525i 2005 M5 1990 Town&Country 2001 S320 1997

Sheb i have the new 530i (258hp) auto egyptian CDK i find it very hard to drift with both DSC DTC off (pressing the DTC for 3sec) in 1st Gear U turn full throtle it starts spining the wheels then the car intervines shut off for a sec as soon as i go in a drift and then picks up again the RPM goes above 7000 and the spedometer reads sixty km/h then drops back again to 40 while the car shuts off then picks up again this drives me crazy (i had m5 1990model 315hp then )called Bavaria motor told eng Tarek SAAD abt this he said he will look into lit but he thinks the Elcectronics even if shut off will not let u do that there is something in the background let alone 2nd gear it would never drift there is not enough torque (except on Sandy or rainy roads) , so i.m intrested to know how would you do a drift with a 530 !!!! (which is the MAX engine they produce in egypt pls let me knw)
Old 11-22-2005, 08:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Centurion' post='183947' date='Oct 13 2005, 08:11 PM
I'll tap the DSC button once ("DTC activated, DSC limited") on a daily basis, but only if I remember.
Both systems are off only if I want to have a little more fun with driving or if a situation presents itself.
I assume you are thinking ahead to a situation that does not require maximum HP upon acceleration. If not, then you need to turn DTC off too since it will monkey with your HP also. Unfortunately, BMW does not allow us to turn DTC off while leaving DSC on.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:16 PM
Senior Members

I usually turn off DSC + DTC when it rains or the roads are wet and traffic is light

Powerslides are easier to do, you don't have to be so brutal with the car,
but it's just as fun, especially with 275s in the rear, it's tough to get it sliding in the dry

When the weather is good, I drive conservative, unless it's at the track
Old 11-23-2005, 01:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i, Silver Grey Met, Black Leather, popular wood, premium package, cold weather package, sport package, nav, shades, 50% tint entire car, Proline Styling clear bra...e60 M5 on order production date in Jan 06.

how do you switch off both the DTC and the DSC, Ive only swithed off the DTC??

Quick Reply: How often do you switch off the DSC?