E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often do ships sail?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 02:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 550 is supposed to be finished production by Monday the 15th. I have read some posts of some people who have been waiting a few weeks for their E60's to be put on a ship headed to the US.

Does BMW hold up cars until they get a certain number for a ship or is it just first come first serve with the ships available? How often do the ships head out? Just curious how long it will take from when my car is finished production until it actually is on a ship.

Thanks trying to be patient...
Old 05-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Members

My 550i shipped out on 5/6. It was through production on 4/26. I would expect anywhere from 7 to 14 days for shipment after production complete. Maybe different for the east coast. Mine is headed to CA then to Portland, OR. The waiting can be tough. It will be just as others have quoted. About 8 - 10 weeks from order to delivery.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:27 PM
Members

From what I have seen, a car headed to the US usually sits at the port for about a week. Mine completed production on May 4, and it is still sitting at the port as tracking information hasn't shown up at the shippers site yet.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Members

Hmm, if your car hasn't sailed yet our babies may end up on the same ship. I'm not sure if it's N.J. or N.Y. mine is sailing into.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by wavehogger' post='280683' date='May 10 2006, 03:58 PM
My 550 is supposed to be finished production by Monday the 15th. I have read some posts of some people who have been waiting a few weeks for their E60's to be put on a ship headed to the US.

Does BMW hold up cars until they get a certain number for a ship or is it just first come first serve with the ships available? How often do the ships head out? Just curious how long it will take from when my car is finished production until it actually is on a ship.

Thanks trying to be patient...
get used to that patience thing!! I think it all depends on the timing of your car hitting the port. My car was at the port the better part of a week before it was loaded, and the ship left port. After that, it was 30 days to reach me here on the west coast.....your transit time will be shorter.

Nicely optioned car by the way.....did you walk into to the dealership and tell them, "I want a 550 with everything on it"?? You will love your car.....HUD and NAV are great.....the engine is smooth as silk, but a beast when you need it......I've had mine for just under two weeks and I can't stop grinning
Old 05-10-2006, 03:58 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kmslo530i' post='280709' date='May 10 2006, 07:33 PM
get used to that patience thing!! I think it all depends on the timing of your car hitting the port. My car was at the port the better part of a week before it was loaded, and the ship left port. After that, it was 30 days to reach me here on the west coast.....your transit time will be shorter.

Nicely optioned car by the way.....did you walk into to the dealership and tell them, "I want a 550 with everything on it"?? You will love your car.....HUD and NAV are great.....the engine is smooth as silk, but a beast when you need it......I've had mine for just under two weeks and I can't stop grinning

Thanks for the info guys. I hope my timing is better with the shipping aspect considering my 550 was delayed production about 3 weeks as BMW waited for Night Vision parts. ughh

Yeah, I had already done my research and knew I wanted it loaded. My biggest dilemma was my color combo. I went with something bright and contrasting, it fits me well. I'm def a gadget guy, but I wasn't sure about the active steering. After driving one without and then with, I decided I actually liked the direct connection with normal steering. I just didn't like not knowing exactly where the wheels were positioned at parking and slow speeds, even if it makes it easier. I do wish we had the option to turn it off, because I think it would be nice to have when counter steering the car during times of traction loss. I read you like your active steering, and maybe it would have grown on me but I didn't want to take the chance, since I can't turn it off..

And I have been reading your posts about your car...glad to hear your happy! thanks for making it so much easier on me.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by wavehogger' post='280720' date='May 10 2006, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I hope my timing is better with the shipping aspect considering my 550 was delayed production about 3 weeks as BMW waited for Night Vision parts. ughh

Yeah, I had already done my research and knew I wanted it loaded. My biggest dilemma was my color combo. I went with something bright and contrasting, it fits me well. I'm def a gadget guy, but I wasn't sure about the active steering. After driving one without and then with, I decided I actually liked the direct connection with normal steering. I just didn't like not knowing exactly where the wheels were positioned at parking and slow speeds, even if it makes it easier. I do wish we had the option to turn it off, because I think it would be nice to have when counter steering the car during times of traction loss. I read you like your active steering, and maybe it would have grown on me but I didn't want to take the chance, since I can't turn it off..

And I have been reading your posts about your car...glad to hear your happy! thanks for making it so much easier on me.
nawww.......you'll hate this car!! As a matter of fact, enjoy the time you have left without it!!

How's that, feel better now??

I wasn't sure about the active steering either...but.....I love it now.....I was afraid I wouldn't be able to control the car as directly as I wanted...especially at low speeds...but that's not the case.

I have only seen a couple of of the Monaco blue cars on the road, but it seems to be an up and coming popular color with members here......I think it's a gorgeous color.....but I'm partial to the darker colors myself.........
Old 05-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kmslo530i' post='280725' date='May 10 2006, 08:04 PM
nawww.......you'll hate this car!! As a matter of fact, enjoy the time you have left without it!!

How's that, feel better now??

I wasn't sure about the active steering either...but.....I love it now.....I was afraid I wouldn't be able to control the car as directly as I wanted...especially at low speeds...but that's not the case.

I have only seen a couple of of the Monaco blue cars on the road, but it seems to be an up and coming popular color with members here......I think it's a gorgeous color.....but I'm partial to the darker colors myself.........

haha, yeah I dread thinking about having to get in and out of it everyday...time after time... so thanks that's much better now

I think you were thinking Mystic Blue and typed Monaco, right? I saw the Monaco blue the first day I was there and it was too dark for me as well, I would rather just go black instead. I do love your Titanium Grey, it actually would have been my choice if I didn't love the Mystic so much.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wavehogger' post='280732' date='May 10 2006, 05:19 PM
haha, yeah I dread thinking about having to get in and out of it everyday...time after time... so thanks that's much better now

I think you were thinking Mystic Blue and typed Monaco, right? I saw the Monaco blue the first day I was there and it was too dark for me as well, I would rather just go black instead. I do love your Titanium Grey, it actually would have been my choice if I didn't love the Mystic so much.
well, you know the solution to the whole pain of getting in and out of that new FAST car...is just DON'T get out!!

You're right......I was thinking Mystic Blue, and typed Monaco blue......I actually like both those colors, but again...you're right in that in certain lighting, the Monaco blue seems very dark......but I like those dark cars.....I'm not afraid to wash a car every week...just ask my neighbors as they watch me work on any number of the 5 vehicles I have somehow managed to aquire.....I think I need a fleet manager.....or for my daughters to get married!!

OK...how's this....this car just gets more and more boring every day........nothing to get anxious about.....enjoy your time without it while you can
Old 05-10-2006, 07:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wavehogger' post='280720' date='May 10 2006, 06:58 PM

My car was an ED pick up scheduled for May 8 but was also delayed by nightvision issues. Its at the port now and I just saw today that it is now on the Elektra which is leaving port tomorrow. It has 5 or so stops before getting to new york.

Quick Reply: How often do ships sail?