E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How many bought the aftermarket reproduction LCI tails?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 07:02 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
These lights allow you to remove each bulb on their own.

So I have another suggestion if you want to do a quick mod without buying those stupid cables that Bruce guy sells.

1. Bypass only one Brake resistor.
2. Move the bulb that you have just bypassed into the fog light position.
3. Connect up in parallel the LED rods to this Brake bulb. But remember to take out the exisiting Green connection as that is paralleled up to the fog from the factory.
4. Just secure the old fog holder and bulb somewhere behind the light so that it can't be seen.
5. Remove the other brake bulb holder from the light and again secure it somewhere behind the light so that the bulb cannot be seen.

Voila you have the Ricky Brake effect, with a nice Bright Brake light where the fog light used to be and you dont have any brakes behind the LED rods, plus when you Brake you get nice bright LED rods which can be seen even when you brake.

Ofcourse if you want brighter LED rods when driving, and you want the Brakes and fog etc to work like the OEM LCI, you may want to consider buying those cables I spoke about earlier. I've spoken to Bruce and he has 3 sets ready
Bruce, your cables are far from stupid. You are a well respected vendor and contributor to this forum. The only issue with your cables for these lights is that they make the cost of the mod approach the cost of OEM LCI tails. This is completely understandable since you have put your time and effort into your products and produce good quality cables. Basically, keep up the good work, it is respected and appreciated.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '07 550i

Originally Posted by pjinca
Bruce, your cables are far from stupid. You are a well respected vendor and contributor to this forum. The only issue with your cables for these lights is that they make the cost of the mod approach the cost of OEM LCI tails. This is completely understandable since you have put your time and effort into your products and produce good quality cables. Basically, keep up the good work, it is respected and appreciated.
Agreed - Bruce supplies a valuable product. Its up to eveyone to decide whether its appropriate for them.

I had to re-read Bruce's post a couple times - the way I read it, I kept thinking someone had hijacked his account, with all that self-depricating talk!
Old 04-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by UncleFodder
Agreed - Bruce supplies a valuable product. Its up to eveyone to decide whether its appropriate for them.

I had to re-read Bruce's post a couple times - the way I read it, I kept thinking someone had hijacked his account, with all that self-depricating talk!
Haha same here. I think the problem is that everyone thinks Bruce's Cables is one cheapo cable that you can buy from a warehouse for $1. Think not as they are actually a lot more than that and come housed in a nice little metal package .
Old 04-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Sorry off topic, but holy crap Ross, I just noticed that you have 50W HID fogs? Considerably brighter? I don't think I have seen 50W HID in person...
Old 04-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Sorry off topic, but holy crap Ross, I just noticed that you have 50W HID fogs? Considerably brighter? I don't think I have seen 50W HID in person...
Haha yea they are pretty bright. Michael installed them so I bought the car with them on. They are definitely brighter than my Xenon headlights. Trade my fogs for yours and in return I can swap headlights with you?
Old 04-13-2010, 10:06 AM
Members

My Ride: '07 550i

So did anyone else try these mods by chance?
Old 04-13-2010, 12:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by TakmaN
Haha yea they are pretty bright. Michael installed them so I bought the car with them on. They are definitely brighter than my Xenon headlights. Trade my fogs for yours and in return I can swap headlights with you?
Hahaha, I just saw this reply.

Actually, we have different plugs for our headlights, so it's not like they can just swap
Old 04-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i,Titanium silver,cold weather package

As I write about the mods, I will reference the following pictures to be clear(er).

MOD #1:
You will notice a double stacked resistor pack, one used on each of the two brake lights.
These appear to artificially dim both brake bulbs when they are on as running lights or
when braking. I believe this was done to make the bulbs dimmer so the LED bars look
brighter. Compared to the stock tails, they are a good bit dimmer, which I didn't like.

To change this, follow the each brake wire pair to the resistor pack, where connectors
are used to attach them. Wires then leave the resistor packs to connect to the
main cable. Simply bypass the resistor packs for each brake bulb, and get back all
that juicy brightness. The existing connectors on the resistor packs make this a 5 second mod.

MOD #2:
This mod will allow the fog light, LED bars and the triple LED side marker to go the full 12v
brightness when the brakes are hit.

Simply jumper a wire pair from the inner brake light pair (brown/black) to the LED bar wire pair
(green/black). The colors I use are from the driver's side light. They may differ on the passenger.
Just find the same bulbs if so.

Be sure to watch polarity - black should connect to black, brown to green.

These two mods really wake up these lights. Try them out and let everyone know what you think.

On a side note, I think these lights are worth it if for nothing else then the LED turn signals
and secondly, the fairly bright LED rods. These mods will definitely make your E60 unique versus
99.9% of the other E60's out there.

Reply if you need help or have questions.

Thanks,
Gary
Hey Gary I have those same lights, I think,if those are the SONAR brand.I need a little help with that mod.I really don't want to cut any wires,or maybe i'm not understanding on how to do this.Could you PM me,also I did not notice a reverse/back-up light on them.There was a bulb missing on each tail light in the top inner corners.Are those two missing bulbs the reverse/back-up lights,the website i purchase them wanted $44- for what they called LED center bulb.Hell I paid $265 + S/H,they should have came with all bulbs included.Could you PM me.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Senior Members

So did anyone else try these mods by chance?

Ive had Ricky on this forum help me modify my LCI lights to work like this, so when i brake only the rods light up! Love the look of it!!!
Old 04-18-2010, 04:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i,Titanium silver,cold weather package

Originally Posted by mark_hk
Ive had Ricky on this forum help me modify my LCI lights to work like this, so when i brake only the rods light up! Love the look of it!!!
Who's Ricky,tell him I need his help with this mod please...

Quick Reply: How many bought the aftermarket reproduction LCI tails?