E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How to "launch" an E60 w/ SMG

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 06:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW M-Power

I know the E60 SMG (really a SSG) and doesn't have all the bells and whistles like the M version of SMG. But is there a "launch" mode or quasi launch function??

What is the optimal way to take-off from a dead stop??

Anyone??

Thnx,

beewang
Old 07-29-2004, 07:12 PM
JDN
Contributors

There are two ways to get her revved up fast. My favorite is just to put it in Sport mode, pop the accelerator, and pop the paddles as she swings towards the red.

Tha alternate may be better and that is to put it in Sport, D1, and do the same thing. It just doesn't seem like I am in control that way.

Joe540 was timing himself with a meter at one time. I don't know what his final results showed as the best launch, but I hope he might show up here.

You can turn off DSC for a supposedly better launch, but it never made much difference for me. If you hold DSC button down for an extended period it is also supposed to turn off DTC, too.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:36 PM
Members

Stop the car, put the car in sport mode, and press DSC for 10 seconds. DSC will shut off then eventually, DTC will shut off (you'll get a little something saying "DSC inactive!" in the I-Drive window). At that point, let go of the brakes and STOMP (pedal to the metal, FLOOR) the accelerator pedal. The engine will rev up to about 2000 RPM, and the SMG system will DROP the clutch at that point. You'll feel a huge thump in your back and there will be tons and tons and tons of tire smoke. Oh yeah, the tail usually becomes a bit loose, so make sure to countersteer as necessary, and also note that the transmission will shift itself (even in manual mode) when you accelerate. I *love* this "launch control" but I've only done it a couple of times so far.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

There is a specific way to use the "Acceleration Assistant" (or launch control).

First, you need to turn off DSC and DTC so you have to hold the DSC button in for more than three seconds until you get confirmation that they're both off.

Then, turn on sport mode, put the transmission into '1' (not D1), hold on tight, and mash the accelerator down to the floor (hold the pedal down so that the kickdown switch is pressed).

Doing this will cause the car to not engage the clutch from standstill until after the revs have come up a bit more than usual. Also, it will shift into 2nd, 3rd, etc. at precisely the right time to maximize acceleration. If you lift the throttle off of the kickdown switch or you shift manually, acceleration assistant is disabled and you are back to doing things yourself -- except DSC/DTC are still off.

BMW warns that too much use of this feature will cause premature wear on certain components so use it sparingly if you aren't leasing the car!!

edit: Fuenfer, even though the clock says we tied, it looks like you beat me to the reply switch. I haven't tried doing any launches yet -- I promised a friend I would wait until he was with me before doing it for the first time!!
Old 07-30-2004, 06:05 AM
JDN
Contributors

Smokin'!!
Old 07-30-2004, 09:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Jul 29 2004, 09:12 PM
There are two ways to get her revved up fast. My favorite is just to put it in Sport mode, pop the accelerator, and pop the paddles as she swings towards the red.

Tha alternate may be better and that is to put it in Sport, D1, and do the same thing. It just doesn't seem like I am in control that way.

Joe540 was timing himself with a meter at one time. I don't know what his final results showed as the best launch, but I hope he might show up here.

You can turn off DSC for a supposedly better launch, but it never made much difference for me. If you hold DSC button down for an extended period it is also supposed to turn off DTC, too.
Yes -- the launch mode is amazing -- also try turning off the DSC, put it in sport holding the brake with your heel. At the same time revit up to about 1500--when ready jam on the gas and release the brake----has a similar effect. I'm not sure what you guys think but why would anyone want anything that much faster if not driving on the track???

The best 0-60 time I clocked was 5.9 sec...but I know I don't know what I'm doing.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:50 AM
JDN
Contributors

I dunno, Joe. I never got over that '49 Ford tranny that I reduced to shambles by revving the engine and popping the clutch. Don't know why I had to do that. I had already smoked the fellow with the '51 Fordamatic on the first run.