E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How good is the factory alarm

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 02:00 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i w/ sport package: bone stock :( 2006 Yamaha R-6exy Raven: Fully Loaded Track weapon 2004 Ducati 749 Testaretta: Fully Loaded two other family cars that I dont care to mention, lol!

Hey guys, what would you rate the factory alarm on our e60's. Sometimes I park my car in the drive way and as of late when I go to bed I cant get good rest because im always thinking someone is tampering with the car. Maybe I am just paranoid, lol. but my mother-in-law down the street got her car stolen a couple of days ago, so that could be the reason why..... so my next questions are:

does alarm go off if someone trys and jack up the car? or is it one of those alarms that will only go off if the door opens?

and is it hard to steal a e60, with the reverse key form and chip in the key. I would think they couldnt hot wire the vehicle but you never, if someone wants what you got they will go through extreme measures to get it.

and last but not least... if we have any california law enforcement on our boards this is directed to you or anyone that can answer that, mainly californians because our gun laws are very strict here inlike Texas where they have the castle law doctrine that protects law abiding citizens... If I find someone trying to steal my car or steal my rims! am I allowed to shoot him! lol sorry bare with me guys, I dont live in such a good area but its also not that bad..

thanks for the responses
Old 02-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by will2k' post='803481' date='Feb 27 2009, 06:00 PM
Hey guys, what would you rate the factory alarm on our e60's. Sometimes I park my car in the drive way and as of late when I go to bed I cant get good rest because im always thinking someone is tampering with the car. Maybe I am just paranoid, lol. but my mother-in-law down the street got her car stolen a couple of days ago, so that could be the reason why..... so my next questions are:

does alarm go off if someone trys and jack up the car?
Yes the alarm will go off if someone trys to jack it up or pull it up on a flat bed with brakes on and in park. If you RTM it will tell you not to press the logo on you key fob twice because to will disable this part of the alarm system Don't lose any sleep over it,its only a car and you have insurance.If it makes you feel any better get a set of wheel locks
Good luck
cheers
vern
Old 02-28-2009, 04:23 AM
Members

Mate these cars are pretty much unstealable. Apart from either getting hold of the key or towing it away, theres not much they can do. Did you know that once you lock the car with the fob from the outside, you CANNOT open the door from the inside at all. At least you cant on my E39, so if they smash a window and try to pull the inside door handle, they'll find the handle is just all floppy and useless.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:09 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by will2k' post='803481' date='Feb 27 2009, 06:00 PM

does alarm go off if someone trys and jack up the car? or is it one of those alarms that will only go off if the door opens?

and is it hard to steal a e60, with the reverse key form and chip in the key. I would think they couldnt hot wire the vehicle but you never, if someone wants what you got they will go through extreme measures to get it.

and last but not least... if we have any california law enforcement on our boards this is directed to you or anyone that can answer that, mainly californians because our gun laws are very strict here inlike Texas where they have the castle law doctrine that protects law abiding citizens... If I find someone trying to steal my car or steal my rims! am I allowed to shoot him! lol sorry bare with me guys, I dont live in such a good area but its also not that bad..

thanks for the responses
I forgot to unlock my car alarm and it went off when I jacked up my car to take the wheels off. I read an article the other day that BMW are the most difficult cars to steal. And the easiest being Cadillac. Some people try to drill a hole in the panel before the battery so it will drain but if this happens the alarm also goes off.

However E60's have been stolen before on this forum. As far as I know twice.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Originally Posted by vern' post='803501' date='Feb 27 2009, 06:49 PM
Don't lose any sleep over it, its only a car and you have insurance.
+1.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting read, found out some stuff I didnt know about my E60!
I guess as the saying goes "RTFM!"
Old 02-28-2009, 09:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hey will2k,

Ask 530ISPORT.

His car was stolen and not yet found, in NY.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Sorry to burst the bubble, but any car can be stolen and I mean ANY. Our alarms will certainly deter the amateurs and joyriders, but the real pros will probably drive away with our cars in less than 45 seconds. I wouldn't fret over it. That's why we pay a fortune to buy insurance. To those people who mod their cars, they should always contact the insurance everytime they buy expensive mods and make sure that they add the items to the policy.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='803982' date='Feb 28 2009, 01:51 PM
Hey will2k,

Ask 530ISPORT.

His car was stolen and not yet found, in NY.
Have we ever heard anything more after that saga, like what he replaced it with? Or if the insurance figured it out?
Old 03-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Contributors

i have also heard these cars are very hard to steal. that being said, why would you shoot someone who is trying to steal your rims? you have insurance, why find out how strict your state laws are when you are sitting in jail for 30 years? Most states allow a HOMEOWNER to shoot someone trespassing IN THEIR HOMES, a lot of states you cant even shoot someone on your property. most states also only allow you to shoot someone if there is an IMINENT threat to your own life and in some cases other peoples lives.

this being said, you ARE NOT justified in shooting someone for taking your wheels or attempting to steal your car. EVEN IF you could shoot someone, i can promise your deductible for your insurance will be significantly less then court costs and lost wages.

Quick Reply: How good is the factory alarm