E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to drive an e60 automatic

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 09:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Silver 2004 e60 executive 530i. Zero mods.

Does anyone know whether BMW has recommendations on how we're to drive it's automatic shift cars? Here in Hong Kong, we have lots of downtown driving, ie. stop and go, slow and coast.

Question:

1. when stopped completely (at a light, for example), should I put her in P? This way, I don't need to always step on the brakes. I don't want to always step on the brakes while fully stopped, because the brake lights may burn out (happened once already on my 530i, after only 20000km). If I always put her in P, then I'll be shifting from P to D and back many times per day...what about wear and tear on the gear box?

2. when coasting along at a speed that is gradually decreasing, if I put her in N so that she gradually slows down, instead of me remaining in D and braking now and then to blend into slowing traffic, and then if I need to speed up I shift her back from N to D 'on the fly', then will there be more wear and tear on the gear box? I notice that the car lets me do this without having to step on the brake pedal.

A different question: where is the light sensor on the car? I always use the automatic light (ie. the head and tail lights turns itself on when environmental light is insufficient) and am curious.

Thanks guys.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:34 AM
Members

My Ride: Oxford Green E60 530D with tuning box and all the toys!

Coasting in neutral is not a good idea for any automatic box.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:40 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 525iA Build 2004/08. "Safirschwartz Metallic". Navi Pro, Adaptive Headlights, Bi-Xenon, Panorama Sunroof etc... CIP 18.00.01 (No noticed bug)

Originally Posted by Oliver Hui' date='Sep 8 2005, 07:32 PM
Does anyone know whether BMW has recommendations on how we're to drive it's automatic shift cars?? Here in Hong Kong, we have lots of downtown driving, ie. stop and go, slow and coast.?

Question:

1. when stopped completely (at a light, for example), should I put her in P? This way, I don't need to always step on the brakes. I don't want to always step on the brakes while fully stopped, because the brake lights may burn out (happened once already on my 530i, after only 20000km).? If I always put her in P, then I'll be shifting from P to D and back many times per day...what about wear and tear on the gear box?

2. when coasting along at a speed that is gradually decreasing, if I put her in N so that she gradually slows down, instead of me remaining in D and braking now and then to blend into slowing traffic, and then if I need to speed up I shift her back from N to D 'on the fly', then will there be more wear and tear on the gear box?? I notice that the car lets me do this without having to step on the brake pedal.

A different question: where is the light sensor on the car?? I always use the automatic light (ie. the head and tail lights turns itself on when environmental light is insufficient) and am curious.

Thanks guys.
[snapback]168311[/snapback]
1) No problem to do that unless you plan to keep your car for veeeery long. On the other hand, often using the brake lights prevents condensation to get into your expensive backlights... I'd rather change bulbs now and then....

2) As said, no good! Gearbox is designed to work all the time car s rolling.

3 (Sensor) It's where the rain sensor is; right behind the mirror.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 March E60 530i, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather, Style 124 18" Alloy, Active Steering, Adaptive headlights, Auto-Dim Int+Folding Ext Mirrors, Auto Aircon Advanced, Brushed Aluminium Trim, CD Changer, Comfort Seats, De-Chrome, Dynamic Drive, Electric Glass Sun Roof, Graduate Tinted Windscreen, Heated Front Seats, Natvigation Professional, Sport Steering wheel, Sun Protection Glass, TV function

Originally Posted by Oliver Hui' date='Sep 8 2005, 06:32 PM
Does anyone know whether BMW has recommendations on how we're to drive it's automatic shift cars?? Here in Hong Kong, we have lots of downtown driving, ie. stop and go, slow and coast.?

Question:

1. when stopped completely (at a light, for example), should I put her in P? This way, I don't need to always step on the brakes. I don't want to always step on the brakes while fully stopped, because the brake lights may burn out (happened once already on my 530i, after only 20000km).? If I always put her in P, then I'll be shifting from P to D and back many times per day...what about wear and tear on the gear box?

2. when coasting along at a speed that is gradually decreasing, if I put her in N so that she gradually slows down, instead of me remaining in D and braking now and then to blend into slowing traffic, and then if I need to speed up I shift her back from N to D 'on the fly', then will there be more wear and tear on the gear box?? I notice that the car lets me do this without having to step on the brake pedal.

A different question: where is the light sensor on the car?? I always use the automatic light (ie. the head and tail lights turns itself on when environmental light is insufficient) and am curious.

Thanks guys.
[snapback]168311[/snapback]
Welcome to the forum Mr Hui.
To answer question 1.
Driving in HK, I rather put the gear to N when stopping at light while still holding on to the footbrake. You'll feel the effort on the foot brake a lot less in N. It is also easier to shift into D again from N. I normally do this just before the light change to amber.
If you shift all the way to P, it has to go through R which will made the reverse light flash. P should only be used when the car is parked.

2 and 3 as answers above. Hope it helps.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

I use P as BMW Manual never said not to, so when I "park" the car for a damn long red light there is no wear and no problem, secondly if teh rev light flashes the guy after me does not stick in to my a$$
Old 09-08-2005, 01:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

Step 1: put the car in drive.

Step 2: drive

Step 3: upon arrival, put the car in park.

Hence, the term "automatic"
Old 09-08-2005, 01:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

If you put your car in neutral while driving, you lose some level of control and it may be less save. Besides, automatic transmissions are designed to handle this so I wouldn't worry about wear and tear.

Putting the car in park at a stop light may also not be as safe. Your brakes protect you from being launched into the intersection if someone rear ends you-- your transmission may not stop you as effectively as your brakes. Also, drivers behind you may think that you have begun to move if you brake lights are off.

Just use your transmission the way its supposed to be used and don't worry about the lights so much.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' date='Sep 8 2005, 01:28 PM

[snapback]168434[/snapback]
Old 09-09-2005, 06:01 AM
Senior Members

I heard somewhere that engaging Neutral at stops will damage your auto gearbox. The same source advised that drive should always be engaged whether you're driving or stopped at a traffic junction. Neutral is almost always never used?
Old 09-09-2005, 06:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' date='Sep 8 2005, 11:28 PM

[snapback]168434[/snapback]
Addition the Step 2: If you want to play, use Sport Drive and/or Steptronic funtion

Addition to Step 3: Also put the handbrake on. If you do not use it, it will rust and be malfuctioning!

If one stands in a traffic jam for more than 5 minutes why not put it in P

Neutral "N" is not usually used at all, at least I do not find any good use for it except in "garage" situations or some extreme situation.
But do not use it while driving!!!

A automatic gear car should not be towed either.

Quick Reply: how to drive an e60 automatic