E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How does Sat/Nav work in tunnels???

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Current - MY2008 530i comfort access,active steering, HUD, prof nav/TV, bluetootth etc ..... Old - 2006 530i comfort access, active steering, HUD, NAV/TV, Bluetooth

My friend has a TomTom satNav and it does not update its position when it goes into the Sydney Harbour Tunnel (about 2KM long), while mine continues to update (apparently accurately) in the tunnel. So how does the BMW Sat/Nav work when it loses it's signal from the satellite eg when it is in a tunnel?

TIA
Old 01-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

My nuvi loses satellite reception in tunnels, deep canyons etc., sometimes.... but generally I know where I am until it picks up reception again
Old 01-07-2008, 11:06 PM
Contributors

unlike tomtoms, our navis have a direct connection to the speed sensor, so therefore the our navis can predict where we are given when we were at the beginning of the tunnel it know at what speed you are going through the tunnel. If there are any changes in direction in the tunnel, our navis know this thanks to a gyro (like a compass), therefore all changes in direction are noted. I think the gyro is also missing in the tomtom..
Old 01-08-2008, 12:04 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by rsyed' post='514986' date='Jan 8 2008, 09:06 AM
unlike tomtoms, our navis have a direct connection to the speed sensor, so therefore the our navis can predict where we are given when we were at the beginning of the tunnel it know at what speed you are going through the tunnel. If there are any changes in direction in the tunnel, our navis know this thanks to a gyro (like a compass), therefore all changes in direction are noted. I think the gyro is also missing in the tomtom..
+1 .. the built-in nav units dead-reckon when there is no reception, using speedometer, steering and a gyro as inputs.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:58 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Touring Imperial Blue, sports automatic, VDC, black leather sports seats, M Sport steering wheel, HiFi Professional, 18" 328 wheels, Xenon, PCD, electrical tow hitch etc... E87 120dM -10, Titanium silver, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. E87 120d M sport- 08, Le Mans blue, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. Sold: BMW 525dT Deep sea blue, xenon, PDC, leather, Hifi, USB etc.

My N?vi uses dead reconing and this works for shorter tunnels up to a kilometer or so. If the tunnel is longer it tells me that it has lost reception of satelites.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by faarcanal' post='514980' date='Jan 8 2008, 08:34 AM
My friend has a TomTom satNav and it does not update its position when it goes into the Sydney Harbour Tunnel (about 2KM long), while mine continues to update (apparently accurately) in the tunnel. So how does the BMW Sat/Nav work when it loses it's signal from the satellite eg when it is in a tunnel?

TIA

Simple: it gets speed from differential or wheels .
Old 01-08-2008, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by MacSid' post='514998' date='Jan 8 2008, 04:04 AM
+1 .. the built-in nav units dead-reckon when there is no reception, using speedometer, steering and a gyro as inputs.
Exactly. As a matter of fact, the earliest integrated nav systems from manufacturers like BMW and M-B used dead-reckoning in addition to the signal from the satellites to keep things as accurately as possible. Keep in mind that in these earlier days, there was a built-in error from the signal sent by the GPS satellites for consumer (non-military) applications -- called Selective Availability, or "SA". SA added an error to the signal that amounted to about 10 meters (32 feet) so the cars were constantly updating their positions based on the data received from the satellites as well as the dead-reckoning sensors on the car.

SA is currently disabled and has been since some time in 2000 and is not likely to ever be enabled again...
Old 01-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

The more up to date TomToms do indeed dead reckon and are about as accurate as anything on the built in nav. They use accelerometers to monitor speed and directional changes when out of satellite coverage and it's uncannily accurate. This is something you'll find on most mid to high end aftermarket GPS systems. TomTom also now lets you send addresses from Google Maps to the device and also has weekly uploads with satellite locations so the unit can establish its position quicker on startup if it has limited satellite coverage (i.e. if it finds only one or two but knows where the rest should be at any given point in time thanks to the weekly upload it can still position itself with reasonable accuracy).
Old 01-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

The new Tomtom 920 (I think 720 too) has the EPT (enhanced positioning technology) and it seems to work fine.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by kchan' post='515590' date='Jan 9 2008, 12:21 PM
The new Tomtom 920 (I think 720 too) has the EPT (enhanced positioning technology) and it seems to work fine.
that's right, I have a 920T in my Honda Pilot, it's excellent.

Quick Reply: How does Sat/Nav work in tunnels???