E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you tell what software version

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 08:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

is installed in the car?
Old 06-07-2004, 01:09 AM
Members

You have to ask your dealer/service technician. There is NO other way to tell.

Cheers.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:24 AM
JDN
Contributors

There was a procedure posted on RF that I never could get to work. It was something like run around the car clockwise a few times and punch iDrive, then run around the car counter clockwise a few more times and punch iDrive again, then . .. .
Old 06-07-2004, 07:23 AM
Contributors

Although the various posts show getting hidden information (I've gotten them all to work), none of that data was the version number people refer to in various software threads on this site.

The only way to tell is to have your technician hook up the car and look at it through that interface. That being said, I have a printout from this procedure, and NOTHING on my car has anything referenced to the 11, 11.1, 12 version numbers that people refer to on this site. I'm at a loss as to where they got that number. My dealer says that the Installers they get are based on the Date (May X, etc) and that the individual modules have their own version number.

I'm not sure if this could be a difference between Euro and US cars or not. How many US based cars have VERIFIED that the version number is a number and that's how they communicate to their dealer about the software in their car.

I've also found by calling around to various service techs that the general rule of thumb is not to update just to update. If your car is workign fine, then leave well enough alone. As a software engineer, this goes against my grain (I want the latest version of everything), but until I see someone get a new compelling feature (mp3's working, something like that), then I'm going to leave it alone. Everything in my car works great (Feb 8 build, delivery on Apr 8.), so I guess that I should just leave it alone.

just my .02

james
Old 06-07-2004, 07:25 AM
Senior Members

Aren't the reference to "ver numbers" on the tech printout just sw timestamp dates anyway with no real VERSION number??
Old 06-07-2004, 09:57 AM
Contributors

The thread is probably not on here any more but someone found a way playing with I-Drive to give you the software version. Wish I could remember how.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:24 AM
JDN
Contributors

This is the procedure that never worked for me -- from the experience of others:
To determine Software version:
press and hold down iDrive knob for 10 sec, release it, turn the knob 3 times clockwise, 3 more counterclockwise, one clockwise, one counter., and one clock., and then press the I-drive knob again... a screen pops up with some type of programming...
More of same:
I followed the trick to enter the iDrive secret menu today (press & hold 10 sec.; clockwise 3 clicks; counter 3 clicks; clock 1; counter 1; clock 1; press once). I saw several interesting submenus: TV (for Ergo); Radio (for svs); GPS; Controlversions; Navigation; Tuner; ... I entered into them and saw a number of things I don't understand. The submenu Controlversions has all version info about all iDrive software routines (20+ routines). My iDrive software version is 5.8 (Oct 2003 release). It seems to me that iDrive is already equipped with a lot of routines, such as MP3, navigation, TV, etc.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:25 AM
Members

JDN

I tried that and I get the vehicle setting menu
Old 06-07-2004, 11:28 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by jmnieves' date='Jun 7 2004, 02:25 PM
JDN

I tried that and I get the vehicle setting menu
Yes, and so did I. Must have something to do with the way you hold your mouth . . . never could get the hang of it.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think I remember the general consensus being that the convoluted procedure that JDN posted either doesn't work anymore (due to software versions) or doesn't work on cars with ProNav.

I can't remember the last time someone said it actually worked for them. Conversely, there are plenty of us who can't get this to work.

Quick Reply: How do you tell what software version