E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

how do you open the back of headlights to replace the fortune factory

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow is all I can say. Subject was supposed to say 'remove factory wiring' not fortune factory...

I have searched for a diy write-up but had no luck. I assume you guys know where i can find this? My angel eyes keep going out. I originally thought it was bulbs so got new LUX led's which the wife loves but then found the faulty wiring insulation falling from the wires. I taped them up and installed the amber led's and it worked for about a year but now is happening again with the remainder of the insulation falling off. I pulled lights to re tape the remaining wire but then other wires began cracking and peeling from being disturbed. I want to open the headlight assembly and re wire the lights... How to do this?

This is on my wife's 08 535i
Old 09-25-2012, 05:20 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

I don't think you need to go about cutting the lights open to redo the wires. Just take the headlights out, set it on a counter, and carefully pull the wires out for repair.

Perhaps instead of taping it, you can use liquid rubber insulation like liquid tape, etc.

This seems to be a common problem for E60s that are located in hotter weather locations.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Members

I tried with the lights out but the wire goes into some type of box thing eems to be pinned in there preventing nee from having good enough access to re do them. Just now the other wires are beginning to exhibit similar failure.. I did consider the liquid coating but Figured there would be a write up like on the other models where you remove some clip our screw then bake the lights at some temp to melt seal then open it..
Old 09-25-2012, 06:29 PM
Contributors

Can't bake open E60 headlights.

Unless all your wiring is all the way screwed up, it shouldn't be too bad to fix it. Is it damaged all the way through, end to end?
Old 09-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Members

The drl harness black wire completely Disintigrated the insulation end to end. The angel eyes are 80%+ Missing insulation and worsening with each agitation. The driver side was out So i opened it and taped it further... Then it began working but without touching the passenger side at all... It quit working the moment the driver side began working again. Dunno why that happened but now I'm over it and just want to re wire the things with quality wire and am pissed that BMW would use such a low quality wire in a high temp & harsh environment.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:28 PM
Contributors

Ah. I understand better what you're thinking to do then.

Unfortunately, I don't really know how it would be very probable to get to all the wires, since this is even beyond cutting the front lens apart (which wouldn't do anything for you in this case).

The car wouldn't happen to be a CPO or still under coverage? Might make more sense to just have the headlights replaced if it's under warranty.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:50 AM
Members

No more warranty for me, alas. Though I never worry about that anyway Because i literally mod every vehicle well beyond warranty coverage for most stuff that goes bad. Didn't expect to be having this type of an issue on one of the better Marquis vehicles.. More than a little unimpressed and wondering where else this might be happening On the wife's car.

Going to change the plugs today and try some of the liquid insulator and do compression check so hopefully all goes well
Old 09-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Contributors

Yah sorry to hear man. I first started noticing this on cars that were primarily parked outside. Then I worked on cars in Texas and realized that the insulation on these are simply piss poor. They end up just cracking away just to the touch! So crazy to me.

Realistically it seems like a safety hazard as well.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i
Model Year: 2008

yep, same problem here.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...1/#post1475803

working on this. anyone else care to chime in? OP, did you resolve this?

Quick Reply: how do you open the back of headlights to replace the fortune factory