E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

how do i tell what transmission i have?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 08:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Sport, ti silver/gray, CWP, Logic 7, PDC, Nav, elec shade, lumbar, FDRS 2000 Honda CBR 929 1999 Lexus GS400, Nakamichi

You're really at a disadvantage without the owner's manual. Searching the manual online is awkward. Either print it out or acquire a bound copy from the previous owner, BMW USA, or e-bay. It will help you enjoy your car more. Best wishes with your new car.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by goodman' post='851728' date='Apr 19 2009, 11:39 AM
You're really at a disadvantage without the owner's manual. Searching the manual online is awkward. Either print it out or acquire a bound copy from the previous owner, BMW USA, or e-bay. It will help you enjoy your car more. Best wishes with your new car.
thanks for the suggestion goodman. i just might print it out. i found a PDF version of it online somewhere. anyways. the search function is less the useful. when i search anything, i get 100 different threads that MAY have a word that i was searching for somewhere in the thread. i can search using the word transmission in my search query and ill get everything about all transmissions. on VWvortex.com when you search for a word or a series of words, you get threads started with those words. so i guess im used to a more state of the art searching function because everytime i search for anything... it never fails.... i always get that stupid hong konk sub forum as a result. along with a ton of other threads that dont even remotely have anything to do with my search! so sorry if i am getting a little impatient about searching the same subject 60 different ways so i can get maybe 2 threads that even mention what im looking for. its easier to just put my question out there, and get a specified answer to my specific question. if you dont know or dont care to induldge, skip over my thread.
the reason i ask what transmission i have is because ive seen 2-3 different threads making mention of different transmissions. i thought i had the SMG transmission. now im wondering if i just have a steptronic or tiptronic transmission and if and what the difference would be! hope no one gets butt hurt to that question because im not getting the search results i need to that specific question. i also have shift lag when i up shift in the auto/manual setting. ive seen a bit of discussion about trans resetting but nothing with specific directions or anything so im wondering if after figuring out what trans i have, if other people with the same trans are having that problem and how they fixed it and if i can reset my!!! thanks to those that answer.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:56 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by lockdownx99' post='851831' date='Apr 19 2009, 02:49 PM
thanks for the suggestion goodman. i just might print it out. i found a PDF version of it online somewhere. anyways. the search function is less the useful. when i search anything, i get 100 different threads that MAY have a word that i was searching for somewhere in the thread. i can search using the word transmission in my search query and ill get everything about all transmissions. on VWvortex.com when you search for a word or a series of words, you get threads started with those words. so i guess im used to a more state of the art searching function because everytime i search for anything... it never fails.... i always get that stupid hong konk sub forum as a result. along with a ton of other threads that dont even remotely have anything to do with my search! so sorry if i am getting a little impatient about searching the same subject 60 different ways so i can get maybe 2 threads that even mention what im looking for. its easier to just put my question out there, and get a specified answer to my specific question. if you dont know or dont care to induldge, skip over my thread.
the reason i ask what transmission i have is because ive seen 2-3 different threads making mention of different transmissions. i thought i had the SMG transmission. now im wondering if i just have a steptronic or tiptronic transmission and if and what the difference would be! hope no one gets butt hurt to that question because im not getting the search results i need to that specific question. i also have shift lag when i up shift in the auto/manual setting. ive seen a bit of discussion about trans resetting but nothing with specific directions or anything so im wondering if after figuring out what trans i have, if other people with the same trans are having that problem and how they fixed it and if i can reset my!!! thanks to those that answer.
1. use the advanced search...

2. you dont have SMG, you would know if you had an SMG, no question about it.

3. you have the automatic transmission, no need to dress it up with fancy words, HOWEVER, if you have paddle shifters on the steering wheel, you have the "sport automatic transmission"
Old 04-19-2009, 11:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='851837' date='Apr 19 2009, 01:56 PM
1. use the advanced search...

2. you dont have SMG, you would know if you had an SMG, no question about it.

3. you have the automatic transmission, no need to dress it up with fancy words, HOWEVER, if you have paddle shifters on the steering wheel, you have the "sport automatic transmission"
nope no paddles. so i guess no sport. what does that DST button do? i think thats what it says on the button.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by lockdownx99' post='851839' date='Apr 19 2009, 03:00 PM
nope no paddles. so i guess no sport. what does that DST button do? i think thats what it says on the button.
DTC= Traction control (controls rear wheel slippage while accelerating, good for snow/rain)
DSC= Stability control (controls brakes on all 4 wheels independently to stop the car from spinning)

DTC is a SUB-FEATURE of DSC
Old 04-19-2009, 11:08 AM
Contributors

additionally, you can use your automatic transmission in 3 modes. DRIVE, DRIVE SPORT, MANUAL
Old 04-19-2009, 11:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='851852' date='Apr 19 2009, 02:08 PM
additionally, you can use your automatic transmission in 3 modes. DRIVE, DRIVE SPORT, MANUAL
so if i just tap it over to the manual but dont try to shift up or down, it will be in drive Sport? so thats what the DS means when i flip it over. thanks.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by lockdownx99' post='851869' date='Apr 19 2009, 03:15 PM
so if i just tap it over to the manual but dont try to shift up or down, it will be in drive Sport? so thats what the DS means when i flip it over. thanks.
you got it! see, i gave you a hard time before, but if you put up with the sarcasm, you will get what you are looking for. just have ot have thick skin...
Old 04-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by lockdownx99' post='851231' date='Apr 18 2009, 02:50 PM
just like it says. ive got the 04 530i with the auto/manual trans. its got the park,reverse, neutral, drive and then i move the shifter to the left and i have clutchless manual. also how do i reset it because it takes a long time to shift in manual mode. another question is what is the DTC button or whatever it is that does something to traction or abs or whatever. thanks.
This might help...
Attached Thumbnails how do i tell what transmission i have?-dtc.jpg  
Old 04-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='851872' date='Apr 19 2009, 02:18 PM
you got it! see, i gave you a hard time before, but if you put up with the sarcasm, you will get what you are looking for. just have ot have thick skin...
honestly i didnt even pay attention to the name. i just respond to the posts. you could call me a dumbass in one post, and be nice the next post, and ill assume you are a totally different person. but thanks none the less. i was leary about buying this car because it didnt have a manual or spare key. so now i have to get a second key, print the manual and ask and search about a billion topics like putting video on my idrive screen, transmission questions and possibilities, body parts compatibiliy, and alot more. ill search as much as possible. thanks.

Quick Reply: how do i tell what transmission i have?