E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to do I "tell" my car I've changed the oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

On occasion I will be doing my own oil changes...I did this on my last E60, a 525, and it was very easy (especially when using my neighbor?s hydraulic lift in his garage). At any rate...on my 525 I did an oil change at about 6k and then at 8k (after a total of about 6 months of driving) the car indicated the need for a service so I took it in. The dealer indicated that it was time for an oil change...I have to assume that the car was calculating the oil change interval from mile 1 and after 8k it was time...because it (the car) had no idea that the oil had been changed just 2k miles prior. So the interval is obviously based on miles/driving style and not a measurement of contaminants in the oil...so this finally gets me to my question...how do I "tell" my car I've changed the oil.

I know there is a service interval (or something like that) in the iDrive...but I don't remember that it addresses this issue...does it??

TIA

Chris
Old 01-02-2005, 07:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

This might be the way to reset it if its similiar to other BMWs

Warning: I have not tried it nor have varified it with a E60 but you can take a look at the service test menu and it will do no harm.

Resetting the oil Indicator

You find this useful if you do your own oil changes. Keep in mind
you should wait until your factory service expires, since resetting
the indicator may lead the dealer to deny oil changes since the
indicator does not indicate an oil change is due.

1 - Press and hold the trip odometer button.
2 - Insert car key and turn it to the first position.
3 - Watch for the word "RESET" to appear on the Odometer indicator.
4 - Release the trip odometer button, then press & hold it again.
5 - Wait for the "RESET" message to flash.
6 - Release the button, and then press & release (once only)

Little more info on the service test menu http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=5829
Old 01-02-2005, 09:33 PM
Senior Members

No this reset routine does not affect any of the service indicators.

All it does is reset the instrument cluster.

The only noticeable changes after this reset will be that the trip meter goes to zero, the clock and date need to be reset and your fuel consumption accuracy factor may be reset (but his can be set tto he appropriate value for your car in menu 20).

Having said all of this, in my opinion, while the car is under garantee and yo get free oil services from the dealer, do your interim service if you feel its necessary but dont try and reset the oil service indicator and go in and get your free oil service when the indicator says it's time.

In the older E36's there was a wire and resistor fiddle you do to reset the service indicator but in the E60's things are very different.

Streak

My Landrover Horror Story