E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How do i adjust windshield washers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 07:34 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello guys!

My washer nozzles sprinkle too low the washer fluid to the windshield. How can i raise them?
I thought i could do that with a needle, but it seems doesn't work like that.
I looked in the manual, but it does not say anything about this.

Any ideas?
Old 01-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C_o_s_m_i_n
Hello guys!
My washer nozzles sprinkle too low the washer fluid to the windshield. How can i raise them?
I thought i could do that with a needle, but it seems doesn't work like that.
I looked in the manual, but it does not say anything about this.
Any ideas?
The nozzles on earlier BMW models were adjustable - these are not. And it may be a problem with the pressure and volume of washer fluid caused by a blocked screen at the reservoir / pump that is actually causing the problem. There are some previous posts about how to correct that : https://5series.net/forums/topic/942...ld+washer+pump
Old 01-18-2012, 10:10 AM
Members

No, i don't think the problem is with the pressure of fluid. It can be seen how it comes at high speed on the windshield.
It's just the position that bothers me.

Now it's something like the picture shows. The above area remains often dry when wipers start.
Attached Thumbnails How do i adjust windshield washers?-laminated-windshield.jpg  
Old 01-19-2012, 07:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2008

No, i don't think the problem is with the pressure of fluid. It can be seen how it comes at high speed on the windshield.
It's just the position that bothers me.

Now it's something like the picture shows. The above area remains often dry when wipers start.

Mine sprays in the same area. I've asked the dealer to check and the answer comes back as normal operation. I've driven 1 and 3 series and the spray is a real fine spray with a nice coverage pattern.. anyone?
Old 01-20-2012, 09:36 PM
Members

My car does the exact same thing. I think it's normal operation.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Members

From my experience with other brands of cars, it's not normal at all. The above area remains most of the time dry and wipers may scratch the windshield. Not to say that remains uncleaned... :thumbsdown:
Old 01-21-2012, 07:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

My 08 has basically the same pattrern. I was able to adjust a single nozzle on each side using a pin. Howver, the best thing to do is only use the nozzles when the car is moving. The upward air flow over the windshield forces the spray to sweep over the upper area of glass.(just a thought)
Old 01-21-2012, 12:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Gilgorm
The upward air flow over the windshield forces the spray to sweep over the upper area of glass.(just a thought)
No, it's quite the opposite. The air flow force the spray to sweep more the bottom area.
But i'm very interrested in how you managed to adjust the nozzle... I haven't managed or did not know how.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

No, it's quite the opposite. The air flow force the spray to sweep more the bottom area.
But i'm very interrested in how you managed to adjust the nozzle... I haven't managed or did not know how.
I wish I could tell you easily. It was two years ago. I assumed at the time that they were adjustable and may have forced the small metal roller ball to move inside the plastic housing. I thought I used a pin but may have used something more solid like a paper clip. I definitely moved the two outside nozzles since they now spray high to each side where I wanted them. If, as luigi states, that they are not supposed to move then don't damage them based on my experience.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:29 PM
Members

Mine doesn't have roller balls. There are just 3 small cuts in each plastic housing.
Something like the picture:
Attached Thumbnails How do i adjust windshield washers?-untitled.gif  

Quick Reply: How do i adjust windshield washers?