E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How do detect a flat with RF's

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 11:40 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by ?gent99' date='Oct 27 2005, 09:19 PM
I think BMW should include a tire pressure gauge in the car if they continue to equip them with runflat tires.

I got one while on vacation several weeks back...pulled into a gas station...bought a cheapie gauge...everything was fine.

According to the manual, "spirited" driving can cause the montor to go off!? ? Gee, I never do that....? <_<

However, I've only had a false positive once thus far....
[snapback]189634[/snapback]
In BMW's opinion the RF tyres are for safty. On a Autobahn one can easily drive 150 mph and the tyre could blow.

With RF's one can keep the the car on the road but without...

You should anyway check the tyre pressures once a month and in the pressure warning goes off...

The tech will develop and for sure there will be individual tyre pressure messures to read from the iDrive.

But nothing is free of charge!
Old 10-27-2005, 06:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -SOLD- 530i Alpine White. Sport package, comfort seat package, premium sound package, power rear shade, premium package, rear red reflectors, and adaptive headlights with xenon’s

Yeah, I had a nail in the tire and the sensor came on. While at the tire shop getting it fix I was asking the guys to be careful for the sensor and when they took the tire off there was NO sensor. I was amazed.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG, Dinan Flywheel, M Sport Kit Blk, Blk.

Originally Posted by CENTRAL CALI' date='Oct 27 2005, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I had a nail in the tire and the sensor came on.? While at the tire shop getting it fix I was asking the guys to be careful for the sensor and when they took the tire off there was NO sensor.? I was amazed.
[snapback]189788[/snapback]

also have a friend with no sensor!! upgraded to 18' sport wheels, added runflat - no sensor -
Old 10-27-2005, 08:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

I had 2 nails puncturing the right front and rear tires.....they were still new and my luck was bad. they actually drive well and I cannot feel a difference. In fact, I actually forgot nad drove at 70mph on the highway for about 10 miles. didn;t want to spend 450 on changing tires so I went to my local shop National Tire and battery where they patched it up and its still as good as new for 40 dollars...
Old 10-28-2005, 03:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by CENTRAL CALI' date='Oct 28 2005, 02:04 AM
Yeah, I had a nail in the tire and the sensor came on.? While at the tire shop getting it fix I was asking the guys to be careful for the sensor and when they took the tire off there was NO sensor.? I was amazed.
There is no dedicated sensor as such...
Old 10-28-2005, 05:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG, Dinan Flywheel, M Sport Kit Blk, Blk.

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Oct 26 2005, 08:18 PM
The sensors are rotational.? They work with any wheel/tire combination.? You simply have to initialize the system once you're sure all the pressures are correct.

The downside to a rotaional system (vs. discrete sensors) is that you can't see the exact pressures at any given time, you only get warned when the pressure of one tire drops significantly...
[snapback]189290[/snapback]

If you follow this thread, many e60er's are finding out that there is no sensor. Having said that, there are also E60er's that are upgrading , or downgrading to RF's - and finding that they did not have a sensor installed, did not have the option installed or linked to begin with -

While out with BMW NA club members I heard an alarming number of owners who had runflats but did not detect punctures, leaks, etc. - Untile it was too late.

There was one member that had apparently driven with a flat for (maybe) more than 3 days until, the tire had completed gave uup its sidewall structural stiffness and destroyed his right wheel in the process, when brought to the dealer, - there was no sensor to detect.

For almost all of us, when puncturing a tire with a normal tire, we almost feel the difference immediately. Pull over and change into the spare - get it plugged at the next earliest convenience for $20-$25 - and move on.

I believe that the runflats are great if you have no ability to change to a spare, lack the strength to haul the original wheel into the trunk, or driving through death valley for hundreds of miles without oppty for help. Otherwise for most of us, we are urban, mobile or at least in close proximity to urban areas - or have a can of tire goo
Old 10-28-2005, 05:41 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by colejl' date='Oct 28 2005, 06:25 AM
[quote name='CENTRAL CALI' date='Oct 28 2005, 02:04 AM']Yeah, I had a nail in the tire and the sensor came on.? While at the tire shop getting it fix I was asking the guys to be careful for the sensor and when they took the tire off there was NO sensor.? I was amazed.
[snapback]189932[/snapback]
[/quote]

The sensor is on the dsc/abs system (not on the wheel) and counts the wheels rotation difference of each axle. Loss of pressure means smaller diameter, that causes this wheel to rotate with more cycles at same time.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -SOLD- 530i Alpine White. Sport package, comfort seat package, premium sound package, power rear shade, premium package, rear red reflectors, and adaptive headlights with xenon’s

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' date='Oct 28 2005, 06:41 AM
[quote name='colejl' date='Oct 28 2005, 06:25 AM'][quote name='CENTRAL CALI' date='Oct 28 2005, 02:04 AM']Yeah, I had a nail in the tire and the sensor came on.? While at the tire shop getting it fix I was asking the guys to be careful for the sensor and when they took the tire off there was NO sensor.? I was amazed.
[/quote]

The sensor is on the dsc/abs system (not on the wheel) and counts the wheels rotation difference of each axle. Loss of pressure means smaller diameter, that causes this wheel to rotate with more cycles at same time.
[snapback]189969[/snapback]
[/quote]

I figured that, still amazed with technology. It's neat how it all works.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:07 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' date='Oct 28 2005, 01:41 PM
[quote name='colejl' date='Oct 28 2005, 06:25 AM'][quote name='CENTRAL CALI' date='Oct 28 2005, 02:04 AM']Yeah, I had a nail in the tire and the sensor came on.? While at the tire shop getting it fix I was asking the guys to be careful for the sensor and when they took the tire off there was NO sensor.? I was amazed.
[/quote]

[snapback]189969[/snapback]
[/quote]
Exactly my point... No dedicated sensor...
Old 10-28-2005, 10:18 AM
Senior Members

To answer your main question about how you know if a RF has a puncture...

You will notice a marked improvement in ride comfort from the corner of the car which has the flat.

Quick Reply: How do detect a flat with RF's