E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you guys tint ur taillights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 12:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 530xi Jet Black

Hey all,

I want to tint my taillights 20%, but no one around will tint it so I must do it myself and my first attempts failed. How did you guys do yours because I can not find a half decent DIY guide that explains how to do the damn curve cuz that is my downfall. I would love to have this mod by Dec 31. Thanks fellow 5ers!

FYI: I DID DO A SEARCH, if you yell at me for not searching I may put a M emblem on my car to make u cringe .
Old 12-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

I-L-L-E-G-A-L

Not to mention a safety hazard.

But if you insist, you might try doing a search on smoked tail lights.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I bought some smoked taillights, 10 mins to install, done
Old 12-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pukka
I-L-L-E-G-A-L

Not to mention a safety hazard.

But if you insist, you might try doing a search on smoked tail lights.
Talked to my local law authority and it is legal in my area.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by dinan530xi
Talked to my local law authority and it is legal in my area.
I don't think the tint shops in your area know this, otherwise your job request would be easy money for them.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pukka
I don't think the tint shops in your area know this, otherwise your job request would be easy money for them.
All claim the conditions and elements will ruin the tint. They all say use spray which I refuse
Old 12-21-2010, 01:30 PM
Senior Members

You NOOB learn how to search . I posted a DIY a while back.

"I got this idea from my friend who has a black 06 330xi with the same tint applied. Its easier on the E90s because the light for the E90s and E92 is flat....his has lasted a terrible NY winter and a brutal NY summer so these do not come off unless you pull them off.

Yes the tint is $5. I went to Walmart ...saw this cling film vinyl window tint in a torn box...I inspected the tint it looked nice but the box looked gross. So I took it to the manager who just took off $5..its really $10 but still for $10 the ROLL IS HUGE. Enough to do tails, reflectors, headlights, side markers.

This was my second time doing it.... first time I used some crap film and it was gross.

You want to take a highlighter and take a roll of film and measure out your tailight. I wanted the signal to remain untinted so I made a template of the light minus the signal on the roll of film with a highlighter. Then I cut it with normal scissors...I used a bleach bottle filled with water and sprayed the light cleaned it then applied the water on the back of the tint then placed it on the light.

I had no squeegee so I used my two fingers in a paper towel which worked fine. The trickiest part is the stupid lump on the taillight mines not perfect but unless your are OCD about it.....it looks fine.

While using my "squeegee" I had a hair dryer set on high to heat the film and make it stick....the hair dryer broke while on the second tail but it stuck fine since its static cling. I drove in windy, freezing rain, sleet weather this morning 60mph+ and the tint remains fine. The car was outside with the wind blowing and raining and it stuck. Only downside is someone can rip it off... .

The whole process took about 3 hours but I researched and watched TONS of videos and read TONS of forums and learned many tips and techniques. If you have anymore questions or need any help feel free to PM me and I will be glad to give assistance.

My shade was 20%...35% and 5% were also available.
"
Attached Thumbnails How did you guys tint ur taillights?-74176_1690768673187_1356849903_2585016_1700941_n.jpg  
Old 12-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Members

Alright I remember seeing that DIY, but I still cant get the curve down with it all being smooth. The hair dryer won't make the film take the shape of the curve. HELP FOR THE NOOB please. Haha
Old 12-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dinan530xi
Alright I remember seeing that DIY, but I still cant get the curve down with it all being smooth. The hair dryer won't make the film take the shape of the curve. HELP FOR THE NOOB please. Haha
Its almost impossible to get the curve perfect. I live with it. Don't be OCD . Actually to get a perfect tint use some VHT nightshades. Its $20 a can and it looks real nice comes out nice and glassy.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:58 PM
Members

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
Its almost impossible to get the curve perfect. I live with it. Don't be OCD . Actually to get a perfect tint use some VHT nightshades. Its $20 a can and it looks real nice comes out nice and glassy.
But it doesn't come off *cry*. I will probably have a change of heart

Quick Reply: How did you guys tint ur taillights?