E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Check the Battery Strength

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 01:33 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M54
Model Year: 525i 2004

Guys, in case I have not been able to find the forums, please direct me but I am looking of ways to find out if my battery on my '04 525i E60 fully charged or not. I would like a confirmed method of check the battery charge with a multimeter or something else instead of the traditional BMW way below;

Note the colour of the hydrometer during each inspection or battery check and
proceed as follows:
Green = Battery charge adequate (no action necessary)
Black = The battery is inadequately charged (recharge the battery fully)
Pale yellow = Acid level too low (replace battery)

How can I confirm the following steps as per BMW's recommendation i.e. A fully
charged battery in new condition delivers a voltage of at least 12.7 volts.
- No further actions are necessary if the battery voltage is greater than 12.3 volts.
- If the battery voltage is between 12.0 volts and 12.3 volts, the battery must be
recharged for at least 12 hours.
- If the battery voltage is less than 12.0 volts, the battery is unserviceable and
must be disposed of at the expense of the workshop.

I have a very peculiar issue which is taking me to think my battery might not be fully charged where as the Magic-eye is green, so I want to confirm.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

How about trying the Hidden OBC menu, item #9 for the battery voltage? With the engine off, this gives the pure battery voltage and with the engine running, gives the alternator/charging voltage.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
E60_Hidden_OBC_Instructions.pdf (859.6 KB, 5663 views)
Old 09-11-2012, 06:23 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kskane
Guys, in case I have not been able to find the forums, please direct me but I am looking of ways to find out if my battery on my '04 525i E60 fully charged or not. I would like a confirmed method of check the battery charge with a multimeter or something else instead of the traditional BMW way below;

Note the colour of the hydrometer during each inspection or battery check and
proceed as follows:
Green = Battery charge adequate (no action necessary)
Black = The battery is inadequately charged (recharge the battery fully)
Pale yellow = Acid level too low (replace battery)

How can I confirm the following steps as per BMW's recommendation i.e. A fully
charged battery in new condition delivers a voltage of at least 12.7 volts.
- No further actions are necessary if the battery voltage is greater than 12.3 volts.
- If the battery voltage is between 12.0 volts and 12.3 volts, the battery must be
recharged for at least 12 hours.
- If the battery voltage is less than 12.0 volts, the battery is unserviceable and
must be disposed of at the expense of the workshop.

I have a very peculiar issue which is taking me to think my battery might not be fully charged where as the Magic-eye is green, so I want to confirm.

In addition to using a multimeter, one purchase I made that has been a big help is a cigarette lighter multimeter.

http://www.rvplus.com/prime-products...FWWCQgodPBsAXQ

Nice thing is you can monitor system voltage before starting, just after starting during alternator ramp-up and during a drive.

I used this same unit to trouble shoot my alternator voltage regulator, which would start at 13.5V, rise to 17V after 15 seconds, then fluctuate between 11.5V and 14V during my drive.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60
How about trying the Hidden OBC menu, item #9 for the battery voltage? With the engine off, this gives the pure battery voltage and with the engine running, gives the alternator/charging voltage.
I tried to follow the steps, but for some reason it does not unlocks my menu even though I have the right code. Any other suggestion.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
In addition to using a multimeter, one purchase I made that has been a big help is a cigarette lighter multimeter.

http://www.rvplus.co...CFWWCQgodPBsAXQ

Nice thing is you can monitor system voltage before starting, just after starting during alternator ramp-up and during a drive.

I used this same unit to trouble shoot my alternator voltage regulator, which would start at 13.5V, rise to 17V after 15 seconds, then fluctuate between 11.5V and 14V during my drive.
However, power to the 12v outlet (aka "cigarette lighter") is disabled when the car is powered down. As an alternative I use a multimeter at the underhood power post to check voltage whenever I'm under there dusting off the motor.That's just easier than undoing the panels covering where the battery is stored.
Attached Thumbnails How to Check the Battery Strength-underhood-jump-start-point.jpg  
Old 09-13-2012, 05:58 AM
Members

Some guides say to use the last 6 digits of the vin. It should say the last 5.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Yea, use only the numbers (digits) not letters in the last positions of the VIN. Then, you must be careful counting the # of clicks when entering this number.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Members

Yea, use only the numbers (digits) not letters in the last positions of the VIN. Then, you must be careful counting the # of clicks when entering this number.
My numbers are 565588=37 and that did not work as the code. I must be doing something wrong. What is it?
Old 09-13-2012, 06:57 PM
Senior Members

Maybe try the last 5 digits, thus 65588 = 32 instead. This is suggested by CHR15 above.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:11 PM
Members

Originally Posted by CHR15
Some guides say to use the last 6 digits of the vin. It should say the last 5.
Maybe try the last 5 digits, thus 65588 = 32 instead. This is suggested by CHR15 above.
Thanks CHR15 and SilberGrauE60, I can confirm that last five digits is the real code to unlock and use this hidden menu. With car in ignition (turned off), I have a battery that fluctuates between 12.3, 12.4, 12.5. Should have be 12.7 as that is the full charge, or there is nothing to worry about (reason I say worry, cause I believe it is the original white battery from '04 in the car).

Quick Reply: How to Check the Battery Strength