E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How can I get rid of or at least diminish this bumper scuff?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 03:34 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Sport

Originally Posted by KyleB
There is not a car manufacturer on the face of the earth, BMW included, that manufactures its own paint. They get it from Spies-Hecker, or RM, or BASF, or Standox, or any of the other automotive finish manufacturers.

OP, that bumper needs to be painted. Those scratches are through the clear and base coats.
Ever see how BMW paints its vehicles at the factory?

Now show me a single shop in the USA that can match or exceed that process.

It's in the "process" more so than the actual "paint" that determines the outcome.

Any shop will tell you that they CANNOT match the system/process at BMW in Germany.

Not even a BMW dealership.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:59 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I've been thinking about your response now for a while and I'm trying to figure out what you really mean. I don't think anyone is saying that aftermarket paint at from a shop is better than a factory paint job whether its materials or process. I would even through in that KIA is better than a shop. The issue is the OP has a damaged bumper, in fact the entire car paint appears sun damaged possibly with spider cracks, it was hard to tell though from the photos. The damage to the rear bumper from the photos shown just above the light appears to have gone through the clear and the base, if this is the case, then there is nothing more to do but re-paint it. The scratches also look like it would fall into that repaint category but its still a bit hard to tell. Regardless, if you were to sand and buff this area, you would end up with at best a seriously reduced clear coat that would now be lacking structure and rapidly deteriorate over a short time span.

BTW, nice video find! I've seen this process first hand 1000's of times both in the factory and at the supplier of bumpers. PO here is SC and the other supplier was in Carrollton, GA using a RIM processed parts but the robotic paint system was very similar. Both companies do not use the same paint as the factory, but they do use the same color and are held to the paint standards and allowable color variation.

Last edited by tonyb635; 07-10-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i sedan 6MT

I'm actually overwhelmed by the responses, which also show me there's many different opinions, even among those who obviously know a lot of what they're talking about. At this point, I really need to take it all with a grain of salt and, since I'm not willing to go through all the trouble described here to do this myself, I'll go with the other approach, try to find a reputable detail/body shop (asking around, I guess) and take the car in for an opinion on both removing the bumber scuff and improving my paint.

Thanks a whole lot guys! I'll post an update as soon as I have one.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:55 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by paran
Ever see how BMW paints its vehicles at the factory?

BMW 650i and 640i Paint Process at BMW Plant - YouTube

Now show me a single shop in the USA that can match or exceed that process.

It's in the "process" more so than the actual "paint" that determines the outcome.

Any shop will tell you that they CANNOT match the system/process at BMW in Germany.

Not even a BMW dealership.
My post had absolutely nothing to do with BMWs finishing process. It was a comment on the fact that BMW does not manufacture its own paint.

Paint absolutely plays a role in the quality of the finish. pour a gallon of $5 duplicolor into those robots and let me know how it turns out for you.

Neat video, but yes, I've seen it many times before.

This thread is completely derailed. OP asked if those scratches will buff out. Based on those photos, I'd say there isn't a snowball's chance in Haiti that it will. It is what it is. The bumper needs to be painted.

I have no interest in an 'e-battle on the interwebs'. I'm 37 years old. I have much better things to do with my spare time. If you think I don't know what I'm talking about, then don't respond to my posts. Better yet, put me on your ignore list so you don't even have to read what I write.

Last edited by KyleB; 07-10-2013 at 02:59 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:36 AM
New Members

My Ride: 05 545i & 01 316i

If I were OP I would try to find a salvage Black car from a similar part of the country, with a similar build year with a bumper that has not been scuffed/repainted and use that. You'll likely get a much closer match than having it painted.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Metallic Green 535i,Dakota Brown leather,NAV,HD Radio, Comfort Access,Sport pkg,Premium Pkg,Cold Weather pkg,Logic7,Park Distance, SAT/Paddles, Ipod adapter, tint, LED Side markers, & halos, heated fronts,CPO'd car, tinted tails, heads, reflectors, backup camera, afe cold air intake, led license plate lights, rear lip spoiler, recoded modules: remote folding of mirrors, deleted accept screen on idrive, auto unlocking of door when ignition turned off, closing windows, & sunroof w/ remote, digital speedo on instrument cluster.

Originally Posted by Razor1973
I'm actually overwhelmed by the responses, which also show me there's many different opinions, even among those who obviously know a lot of what they're talking about. At this point, I really need to take it all with a grain of salt and, since I'm not willing to go through all the trouble described here to do this myself, I'll go with the other approach, try to find a reputable detail/body shop (asking around, I guess) and take the car in for an opinion on both removing the bumber scuff and improving my paint.

Thanks a whole lot guys! I'll post an update as soon as I have one.
Good choice! I think you'll be pleased. That's what's important. Remember, you are the only barometer of satisfaction for yourself....