E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How to access ipod via adapter, and play cd's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 08:04 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 545i
Default How to access ipod via adapter, and play cd's?

sorry for the noob question. i tried searching but couldn't find an answer. I recently picked up an 05' 545i and it has an aftermarket isimple ipod adapter installed in the glove. I can't find a way to access the ipod via the idrive. When I point the idrive to the cd player, it says no media is available or something like that (no cd's are inserted). However, the cable is charging the ipod when it's connected. i'm assuming it took over the cd changer because ejecting the cd changer cassette does nothing.

also, I can't figure out how to play cd's. The player recognizes an audio cd when inserted, but it doesn't start playing. All the tracks are displayed, but the counter stays at 0:00. Any ideas? tia!
Old 05-01-2013, 01:04 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

idrive and isimple are different things and the isimple doesnt connect to the idrive system. ive installed a few AUX cables in some cars that had previous isimple installed, and the quality is horrible. the reason it charges is because they tap into a power wire. the way ive seen the isimples connected is it is also tapped to the radio antenna, to use it you have to tune into a radio station. not sure what station it is, but its the same quality as a FM transmitter, which is why most people end up ditching the isimple and had me install an AUX cable.

far as the CD player, that is very odd, are you using a burned CD or an actual purchased CD? my only guess is that its either not being burned correctly, make sure your using a correct audio format, remember you have to code vehicle in order to play MP3 on burned cds. honestly, ive only had 1 CD in my car in the last 2 years ive owned it, so i cant offer much help on the CD questions.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:42 AM
New Members

I think the isimple is installed over the cd changer because the changer doesn't operate anymore. The cable was also run next to it in the glove. Is this likely?
Old 05-01-2013, 06:34 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

well the cd changer is built inside the unit, i dont see how an external plug can over take that. the only cases ive seen where this is possible is CDC which is the cd changer, you can plug into that input with a ipod changer, but isimple doesnt have that capability (thats ive seen or heard) and you would have to see CDC on the idrive menu for entertainment, so it would look like FM AM CD CDC AUX (if you have aux)
Old 05-06-2013, 10:00 PM
New Members

well I finally figured out how to output the ipod through my speakers. i had to flip the manual switch when in FM mode (doesn't matter which frequency) and it would start playing. no steering wheel controls, no text display. It sounds pretty decent though. I can't really complain.

Now the cd player on the other hand, still doesn't play. I'm guessing it's broken, but it's not a big deal as I use my iphone most of the time anyways.