E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HOT OUTSIDE!!!---car lose power

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 07:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi all
Yestrday i drive my car and outside temp was 35C. It was relly hot . i decided to go to max speed but they haven t power like they must have. also some guy was with his i think e46 benzin ( they put 323 i but it is 330 sure). he also drive like I and i cant do him anything. is it normal if outside temp was so huge that our car have no full power?
530d
Best Regards
Old 07-27-2005, 11:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

this is actually true for diesel engige cars. It is know fact and nothing can be done about it. Turbo-diesel are heavily dependent on air, cool air and during extremely hot days they drive very leazy.

I can also confirm this based on driving Audi diesels, VW diesels before.....

But that is really just a matter of a very few extremely hot days during the year. On the other hand when you have like 10?C and after rain the diesel drives like crazy, opposit of the extreme hot lazines
Old 07-28-2005, 01:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport in Carbon Black / high gloss shadow line and beige leather / dark poplar with professional nav, bluetooth phone prep, CD changer, bi-xenon adaptive headlamps, servotronic steering, folding mirrors, heated comfort seats, TV, extended voice control and Logic 7 hifi.

It's actually true of turbo charged cars full stop. As soon as the air density lowers as a result of the increased temperature, you're forcing less-oxygenated air into the engine, the engine management recognises this and you get less fuel to play with...
Old 07-28-2005, 03:32 AM
Senior Members

True...very very true! It happened to me especially on my ex 1.9 tdi vw! when it was really hot you could bearly overtake...and fuel consuption raised a bit...
Old 07-28-2005, 05:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW 316ti, 2004 BMW 530d, 2006 BMW 530xd, 2013 BMW 320d touring, 2014 BMW 520d touring, 2016 BMW X5, 2020 BMW 320da touring, 2020 BMW 540i
Model Year: 1974
Engine: Flat six

In summer time usually it gets real hot around here.
I can tell you one thing i didn't noticed yet that huge loss of power during hot days, and i say hot like 43? C, and the AC working... and it reaches 240 km/h ....
Old 07-28-2005, 08:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

nothing that a bigger FMIC/SMIC + water mist couldn't fix ;-) ... but thats a bit extreme for a stock software setup ... would be something to look into if you're going run software other than stock that pushes the manufacturer's IC & cooling setup.

its something all Forced Induction cars have to live with ... thats why they have Intercoolers ... to cool down the temps of the intake air.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport in Carbon Black / high gloss shadow line and beige leather / dark poplar with professional nav, bluetooth phone prep, CD changer, bi-xenon adaptive headlamps, servotronic steering, folding mirrors, heated comfort seats, TV, extended voice control and Logic 7 hifi.

I don't agree totally with that - I run a LARGE custom made intercooler on the TT, and whilst it obviously helps lower intake temperatures, you're really only giving yourself a few degrees more - it's not a "fix" and "water mist", be that on the FMIC or as water injection, is obviously only a short term solution - not good for long distance cruising!

And don't forget of course, if you're increasing intercooler size, you're likely to be increasing internal volume, so say hello to some more lag - there is no magic bullet
Old 07-28-2005, 11:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

and i totally agree with what you just said.

it is NOT a full time fix by any means ... and the water mist runs out quite fast. are you running a water/meth system on your TT ? whats the deal on your TT ? 340hp sounds pretty impressive out of the stock 225? engine? or the 180?

running MTM? dalbach? or self built/pieced together?
Old 07-28-2005, 01:17 PM
Senior Members

MTM big turbo conversion on what was a 225, with all the other bits you' d expect swapped, swapped - exhaust, intercooler, brakes (mmm - Cayenne calipers ) suspension, Haldex controller etc. ... although my 2.1 engine is now ready bar the new intake manifold I'm having made, so more torque and as a side effect something like 380-400bhp (don't forget we measure crank not wheel here!) on the way very very soon....
Old 07-28-2005, 01:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by clived' date='Jul 28 2005, 04:17 PM
MTM big turbo conversion on what was a 225, with all the other bits you' d expect swapped, swapped - exhaust, intercooler, brakes (mmm - Cayenne calipers ) suspension, Haldex controller etc. ... although my 2.1 engine is now ready bar the new intake manifold I'm having made, so more torque and as a side effect something like 380-400bhp (don't forget we measure crank not wheel here!) on the way very very soon....
[snapback]154117[/snapback]
just wondering whether TT is the best base car for such heavy tuning?
I mean the drive, chassis...?

Quick Reply: HOT OUTSIDE!!!---car lose power