E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Horsepower Lies and Damn Lies

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6 speed Manual

the car is not moving when its on the dyno, so how does that effect the dyno results. momentum is mass x velocity. if velocity is zero then momentum is zero. the losses are a product of bearing drag and viscous shear.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by response_surface
wrong....

the weather may effect the engine in the car but not the dyno. hopefully the owner of the dyno gets a calibration done once a year. i don't think the weather can effect how eddy currents flow all that much. a good design would compensate for temperature.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport

wrong....

the weather may effect the engine in the car but not the dyno. hopefully the owner of the dyno gets a calibration done once a year. i don't think the weather can effect how eddy currents flow all that much. a good design would compensate for temperature.
Actually, Dyno's are highly affected by current weather conditions. Each time you run a dyno, the operator has to apply a "Correction Factor" (CF) in terms of barometric pressure, temperature, humidity, and altitude. CF varies so widely between geographical regions that SAE developed a standard for certified power (J1349) to govern the whole process. The issue here is that a traditional manufacture in Detroit might dyno their motor output based on North American/USA weather conditions, while an automotive plant in say Korea might dyno the same engine with completely different results, hence the SAE standard.

Point being, you could dyno your car on a Monday, then return on Friday to the same place, and receive two entirely different dyno results. Dyno's are tuning tools not performance measurement standards.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:03 AM
Senior Members

SOMETHING THAT I KNEW ALREADY BUT THATS WHY THERE IS A REMAP SERVICE AVAILABLE............

BUT 50 BRAKE IS A BIT OBSESSIVE, MINE WAS 6BHP OFF THE STOCK, IMMEDIATELY AFTER I BOUGHT STOCK. THEN I REMAPPED
BEFORE IT EVEN MADE ITS FIRST TRIP HOME IN THE GARAGE
Old 03-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

the car is not moving when its on the dyno, so how does that effect the dyno results. momentum is mass x velocity. if velocity is zero then momentum is zero. the losses are a product of bearing drag and viscous shear.

Dude, not like I can do this being an officer in the Army and applying for a Federal Agent job right now, but sounds to me like you need to go smoke a joint and relax a bit. Geesh. Are you an engineer? I mean right or wrong, as others have said, if its not enough power for you then upgrade or mod the hell out of the engine.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 550i with SP, Nav, Logic7

wrong....

Read this before making any more comments

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ng_-tech_stuff
Old 03-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Members

My Ride: '07 550i

Dude - your sig looks to show a Plymouth Arrow. If you can upgrade to the Fire Arrow, you will get a 2.6 liter, large displacement 4 cylinder which incorporates hemispherical combustion chambers. This engine was basically 'half a hemi' and was quite the rocket in 1980. Just in case the economy thing doesn't work out for ya...

Originally Posted by skelevirus
Normal
Old 03-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by zen68
Read this before making any more comments

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ng_-tech_stuff
Good article. Thanks for posting.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by bha7176
Dude, not like I can do this being an officer in the Army and applying for a Federal Agent job right now
Which is something you should not be posting.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2013
Engine: S63

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Which is something you should not be posting.

Quick Reply: Horsepower Lies and Damn Lies