E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Hong Kong E60 sub-Forum

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 01:42 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: carbonized MB coupe

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='673023' date='Sep 19 2008, 03:39 AM
ya that right no need to tell the insur guys.
I have not told my.
that good news to hear, so what car is he getting next?
he was lucky (the car was a total loss so the claims guys couldn't see anything)as if he had hurt someone, i am 101% sure he would get investigated and sued by the hurt party's lawyers.
we are all insured to what the car was when it was inspected by the trans dept when new, any mods
eg.according to the HK Trans dept "wheels with a diameter bigger than original is not allowed, even with thinner tyres, unless shown in writing by the authorised dealer that it is ok, you can fit nicer wheels, but must be the same size, if not you will need to apply" which means we have to prove they are legal, hopefully the tuv certs from Bilstein and breyton would be ok, bu BMW HK would not give me a letter saying "yeah mate Bilsteins ok, Breytons ok, big exhaust lovely and ok mate" etc,.in fact they never did anything like that before.
BMW HK told me that it is possible to use 19inch, check the sticker near the door, but that is not in writing.
additionally if the wheels are wider than the body then its illegal, coilovers are illegal, etc,. check the government website out and call them if in doubt.
my insurance guys(they must be cissies) even under comprehensive cover will cover you for 3rd party, but have the right to sue you back for the damages they have compensated to the 3rd party if you had not informed them of the mods.
so i think its how your car looks, if the insurance claims guy saw 4 exhausts poking out at the back, and you don't have a M5, or the ride so low you are sitting on the floor he would wonder wouldn't he??

anyhow enuff of the boring insurance stuff, what car is your mate getting?
let us in on it.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by deriffic' post='673035' date='Sep 19 2008, 05:30 PM
Dave, I said brake is ONE of the most crucial parts of a car, not the most important one. There is no such thing as the most important or less important cos' you need everything to get moving.

Of course I agree that tires are equally important. If I can afford it, I will go for the best tires without any hesitation. Then again it also depends on your driving habit, your financial ability, & your car's performance. Oh, those Nitrogen in the tire is a must. I won't drive my car without it now !!

Either 30th or 6th is fine for me. How about dinner at Hang Hau Estate ? There are some good restaurants there.
"brake is ONE of the most crucial" yes but if your tyres can not stop the car then the brake are useless.
If going buy the number from 1 to XXXX
Tyre will be no. 1 the top of the list.
like you say there no important part of the car, if 1 part is better than other then the car will not be good to drive.
there must be a = part.
remember it's not the driving habit or performance of the car that you need good tyre.
Its the person at the front and real that you need good tyre cos if the brake and you can not stop you will hit the car in front.
Good tyres dose not mean the best and expensive 1s. good tyre mean that you need to change them every 3 years or about 30000km to keep them tip top.
for me I don't go for the top brands, I go for the best grip and don't care if they don't last for 2 years or not.
I have Yokohama AVID TRZ 215/55/16 on my Stepwgn and they are very shit in the wet and I don't even drive fast in the Stepwgn and I always get wheel spin going up hill. maybe cos it dos not have traction control.
I will change to 18" end of next year.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 520i E60 in Amethyst Gray

Your list is obviously not the same as mine (and everyone else) and so no need for us to debate any further.

To me, brake is not the no. 1 on my list. My wallet is. No money no "wheelie" !!
Old 09-19-2008, 07:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by deriffic' post='673215' date='Sep 19 2008, 11:08 PM
Your list is obviously not the same as mine (and everyone else) and so no need for us to debate any further.

To me, brake is not the no. 1 on my list. My wallet is. No money no "wheelie" !!
money is easy just get it from the bank. $10000 12months installment that what I alway do. only $280hk intrest
Old 09-20-2008, 02:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mods: M5 sporty package, M5 Steering wheel, Sprint Booster

Originally Posted by deriffic' post='672805' date='Sep 19 2008, 10:23 AM
Brembo does not make their own pads. They use Pagid pads as OEM for their brake system. That's why when I bought them new, they have both Brembo & Pagid logos on. And since they are used now, the Brembo logo is completely worn off and Ah Kin only saw a few letters of the word Pagid left.

I had decided to ask Ah Kin to re-do the brake simply because I trust his expertise and want to see how much difference between them. Also, I think the brake is one of the most crucial part of a car and I can't afford anything goes wrong. Now I am happy & confident with it.

About the HK auto-mechanics, my advice is don't just listen to one opinion, search around and use your own judgement. Afterall, you are the one to pay and should be happy.

OH, I will be away next week. Let me know when is our next GTG at Sing Fei.
Pagid is not the Brembo authorizated manufacturer . Pagid pads can be used under Brembo claiper only.
All brembo pads should have a bracket with small hole for pot insertion ( like the photos )
Hong Kong E60 sub-Forum-brembo_pads_big.jpg
But I saw your Pagid pads haven't. Beside that you are Front 8 pot and rear 4 pot. Totally have 12 pcs of pads. Hard to believe that all Brembo logo worn out at the same time but Pagid logo still alive.
If your are Brembo and really source Pagid pads under own brand name. I think you will kill Pagid.

Don't trust the lier who told you before and enjoy your retrofit brake system
Old 09-20-2008, 03:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ricky1329' post='673845' date='Sep 20 2008, 06:45 PM
Pagid is not the Brembo authorizated manufacturer . Pagid pads can be used under Brembo claiper only.
All brembo pads should have a bracket with small hole for pot insertion ( like the photos )
Attachment 59598
But I saw your Pagid pads haven't. Beside that you are Front 8 pot and rear 4 pot. Totally have 12 pcs of pads. Hard to believe that all Brembo logo worn out at the same time but Pagid logo still alive.
If your are Brembo and really source Pagid pads under own brand name. I think you will kill Pagid.

Don't trust the lier who told you before and enjoy your retrofit brake system
thanks for the info
Old 09-20-2008, 04:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: carbonized MB coupe

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='673856' date='Sep 20 2008, 06:31 AM
thanks for the info
Bumped into Derek today in a CWB car park, he fitted the double deck Hamman rear spoiler, looking GOOD!!
in fact FLIPPIN AWESOME
but some tit scraped his near side door
hope you can get it repaired before our next meet.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by billhk' post='673878' date='Sep 20 2008, 08:57 PM
Bumped into Derek today in a CWB car park, he fitted the double deck Hamman rear spoiler, looking GOOD!!
in fact FLIPPIN AWESOME
o f*ck that good news and bad.
get well soon.
Derek any photos?
Old 09-20-2008, 06:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mods: M5 sporty package, M5 Steering wheel, Sprint Booster

Originally Posted by billhk' post='673878' date='Sep 20 2008, 08:57 PM
in fact FLIPPIN AWESOME
Wish Derek post my photos for us to view.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:37 AM
Contributors

you to let you guys know refill my tyres today they were abit low front 36, back 37. :thumbsdown:
now topup with Nitrogen (N2) front 40, back 42.
check you tyres guys for safety

Quick Reply: Hong Kong E60 sub-Forum