E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Hong Kong E60 sub-Forum

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 01:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 Silver Grey 523i | Step, M-Kit, M5 Trunk Finisher, 19" ACS Type IV Wheels, Goodyear F1 GS-D3 245/35/19, Grey Dakota Leather, Maple Wood Sycamore Anthracite, Advanced Climate Control, Electric rear sunblind, Electric folding mirrors with automatic anti-dazzle, Lights package, PDC, Rain sensor, Business Radio, CD Changer

Originally Posted by kiddo' post='434639' date='Jun 12 2007, 02:19 AM
new member stopped by saying hi to y'all
Hi Kiddo, nice to meet you here. Are you from Hong Kong as well?
Old 06-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mic325' post='434910' date='Jun 12 2007, 03:01 AM
Hi Kiddo, nice to meet you here. Are you from Hong Kong as well?
Hello, yes I am but im in the states now. I am coming back to HK in july and going to modify my mom's 530i. But the problem is that I don't know much about aftermarket stores in Hong Kong so i have no idea where to start. so hopefully y'all could help me out with that. Thanks and appreciate it
Old 06-13-2007, 12:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by kiddo' post='434639' date='Jun 12 2007, 02:19 AM
new member stopped by saying hi to y'all

Don't go replica on a 600K car, that's my thinking. That's why I've got nothing on my car
Old 06-15-2007, 10:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Originally Posted by kiddo' post='435021' date='Jun 12 2007, 07:35 PM
Hello, yes I am but im in the states now. I am coming back to HK in july and going to modify my mom's 530i. But the problem is that I don't know much about aftermarket stores in Hong Kong so i have no idea where to start. so hopefully y'all could help me out with that. Thanks and appreciate it

Welcome for another 530i owner,

I am going to mod my 530i when i back to HK as well, recently i've sold my celica to fund the expenses on modding my e60.

What i start is to upgate the exterier looking of my E60 e.g alloy wheels, M body kit and maybe lowering it a bit. Actually we can't do much with the engine, of cos you can put a turbo or supercharger in if you want but in my opinion that is unless especially in HK's' stop and go' traffic, and that may ruin the handling as well.

If you looking for a light mod on your 5, you could upgrade the angeleye's colour, or K&N air filter (But you wouldn't get a great different in my opinion)

I just ordered a set of M172 wheels from quad_m and people in this forum have helped me a lot when finding good garages in HK

so you can PM me if you want the garage name and will forward you their suggestions.

Cheers
Keith
Old 06-16-2007, 11:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='435259' date='Jun 13 2007, 02:53 AM

Don't go replica on a 600K car, that's my thinking. That's why I've got nothing on my car

i know. but check out this site. the price is really tempting. what do you guys think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19-8-5-9-5-...122480445QQrdZ1
Old 06-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Members

Originally Posted by keith84_uk' post='436170' date='Jun 15 2007, 12:45 PM
Welcome for another 530i owner,

I am going to mod my 530i when i back to HK as well, recently i've sold my celica to fund the expenses on modding my e60.

What i start is to upgate the exterier looking of my E60 e.g alloy wheels, M body kit and maybe lowering it a bit. Actually we can't do much with the engine, of cos you can put a turbo or supercharger in if you want but in my opinion that is unless especially in HK's' stop and go' traffic, and that may ruin the handling as well.

If you looking for a light mod on your 5, you could upgrade the angeleye's colour, or K&N air filter (But you wouldn't get a great different in my opinion)

I just ordered a set of M172 wheels from quad_m and people in this forum have helped me a lot when finding good garages in HK

so you can PM me if you want the garage name and will forward you their suggestions.

Cheers
Keith

nice to meet you Keith. well speaking of engine mod. is it legal to do anything with the engine tho? i mean what if i want to replace the stock intake and ignition for better engine respond and fuel consumption. would that be fine to do? and what does the K&N air filter do exactly?

Yea, i would love that. but i what are the stores that u guys would recommend me to go if i wanna get exterior parts, such as smoked taillights(is it legal tho?), spoiler and stuff. Thanks, appreciate it.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Originally Posted by kiddo' post='436454' date='Jun 16 2007, 08:38 PM
nice to meet you Keith. well speaking of engine mod. is it legal to do anything with the engine tho? i mean what if i want to replace the stock intake and ignition for better engine respond and fuel consumption. would that be fine to do? and what does the K&N air filter do exactly?

Yea, i would love that. but i what are the stores that u guys would recommend me to go if i wanna get exterior parts, such as smoked taillights(is it legal tho?), spoiler and stuff. Thanks, appreciate it.
Hi kiddo,

I think it is legal for some light mods such as upgrading air filter (Not sure about the air induction kit) or other things like spark plugs, as it's just a upgraded replacement for your original parts. Pls correct me if am wrong.

What the K&N air filter or other brands...actually do(They claim) is improving the performance by sucking more air into your engine for better breath, but in my experience, it only improves in psychological way ...not in actually performance (maybe 1-2 bhp improvement but you will never notice the different in my opinion)

About the body work garage (Taillight,spoiler), i haven't try it yet cos am still in UK at the moment so will let you know how it go when i back.......and am not 100% sure is it legal for the smoked taillight....although i don't think that will be the problem if you don't get it too DARK......heeehee

Will send you PM later

Keith
Old 06-16-2007, 08:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 Silver Grey 523i | Step, M-Kit, M5 Trunk Finisher, 19" ACS Type IV Wheels, Goodyear F1 GS-D3 245/35/19, Grey Dakota Leather, Maple Wood Sycamore Anthracite, Advanced Climate Control, Electric rear sunblind, Electric folding mirrors with automatic anti-dazzle, Lights package, PDC, Rain sensor, Business Radio, CD Changer

Originally Posted by kiddo' post='436454' date='Jun 17 2007, 03:38 AM

I agree with Keith about the K&N filter, it is more of a psycological mod. The engine sounds much better when you rev pass 3000rpm, and frankly, you can't really feel the difference in terms of acceleration and power delivery.

For exterior parts, we usally bought it in Valiant (Mong Kok) or Destchland Parts (Hung Hum). Both of them carries GENUINE BMW & MB parts, and their price are much cheaper than you got in BMW HK if you are looking for original parts. And for your information, if you are looking for the ACS aerokit for your E60, grab it from BMWHK now as they are doing a special promotion on it, the price of the whole aero kit, including installation is cheaper than the M-kit.

For other aftermarket accessories, we usually visit a shop in Hung Hum. Like springs, shocks, K&N....etc. PM me if you want the name of the shop.

Old 06-17-2007, 01:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by keith84_uk' post='436470' date='Jun 17 2007, 05:41 AM
Hi kiddo,

I think it is legal for some light mods such as upgrading air filter (Not sure about the air induction kit) or other things like spark plugs, as it's just a upgraded replacement for your original parts. Pls correct me if am wrong.

What the K&N air filter or other brands...actually do(They claim) is improving the performance by sucking more air into your engine for better breath, but in my experience, it only improves in psychological way ...not in actually performance (maybe 1-2 bhp improvement but you will never notice the different in my opinion)

About the body work garage (Taillight,spoiler), i haven't try it yet cos am still in UK at the moment so will let you know how it go when i back.......and am not 100% sure is it legal for the smoked taillight....although i don't think that will be the problem if you don't get it too DARK......heeehee

Will send you PM later

Keith
Well the price of the wheels is quite tempting, but Lawrence have tried those replica rims and he say it vibrates at high speed. But then again we don't really know how fast he's going If you drive slow like me then probably you won't feel any difference but a good rim is essential in Hong Kong as there are alot of potholes and if the replica rim are not build right then you might end up with crack rims after going through a pothole and so far my OEM have survived quite a few.

As for the K&N is just an air filter that replaces the original one and is a high flow filter that lets more air in, not really sucking more air in as Keith say, that's a job for things like a supercharger or a turbo but it does sounds better in high revs which is a money well wasted

As for mods in Hong Kong, it is 100% illegal to mod your car. You can get it certified by DOT but they will never give it to you. But police don't waste their time on catching illegal mods as long as is not very obvious.

Let's take the M kit for instance, the kit come without a mudflap and by putting it on the rear wheel is exposed (wider then the body) which is illegal in Hong Kong as they say it's dangerous. But no one ever got pull over for having a M kit. So don't worry too much about mods, they wouldn't fine you right away if they say your car have illegal mods they will give you a citation to ask you to take it off and get it certified again.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='436591' date='Jun 17 2007, 10:06 AM
Well the price of the wheels is quite tempting, but Lawrence have tried those replica rims and he say it vibrates at high speed. But then again we don't really know how fast he's going If you drive slow like me then probably you won't feel any difference but a good rim is essential in Hong Kong as there are alot of potholes and if the replica rim are not build right then you might end up with crack rims after going through a pothole and so far my OEM have survived quite a few.

As for the K&N is just an air filter that replaces the original one and is a high flow filter that lets more air in, not really sucking more air in as Keith say, that's a job for things like a supercharger or a turbo but it does sounds better in high revs which is a money well wasted

As for mods in Hong Kong, it is 100% illegal to mod your car. You can get it certified by DOT but they will never give it to you. But police don't waste their time on catching illegal mods as long as is not very obvious.

Let's take the M kit for instance, the kit come without a mudflap and by putting it on the rear wheel is exposed (wider then the body) which is illegal in Hong Kong as they say it's dangerous. But no one ever got pull over for having a M kit. So don't worry too much about mods, they wouldn't fine you right away if they say your car have illegal mods they will give you a citation to ask you to take it off and get it certified again.
Very useful informations....goodstuffs AC_S5

Especially the info about the replica wheels....cos i was struggled in the beginning when choosing between replica and genuine wheels....and what you've said above had determined my choice that i wasn't wrong.......cos i have ordered a set of OEM 172M from quad_m earlier.....althought i was very expensive (GBP 1000 inc shipping to HK)....but that seems worth it!!!! (Now just a bit worrying about my mum and sister will kerb the wheels..heheee)

Cheers
Keith

Quick Reply: Hong Kong E60 sub-Forum