E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Hong Kong E60 sub-Forum

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 06:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 F10 535i

kcleung Hing,

You know the new 911 Carrera, there is a ?coasting? function available with Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) where the engine is decoupled from the transmission to prevent deceleration caused by engine braking.

From my limited understanding in motor racing. " Coasting" in tradition Manuel gear box are not recommended in motorsport. so can you or anyone shine in on the topic? Keith,FJ......
Old 11-09-2011, 08:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by wnshie
*sigh* I'm just a stupid guy who threw everything into the Panamera, that's all... stop teasing me la *sigh*
I love to be a stupid guy too.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dyip99
kcleung Hing,

You know the new 911 Carrera, there is a ?coasting? function available with Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) where the engine is decoupled from the transmission to prevent deceleration caused by engine braking.

From my limited understanding in motor racing. " Coasting" in tradition Manuel gear box are not recommended in motorsport. so can you or anyone shine in on the topic? Keith,FJ......
sorry dont know much about Porsche.
649 and ET is the man for this.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Senior Members

*Fcuk* I'm being framed by some magazine... I'm under a lot of heat! *fcuk*
Old 11-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Senior Members

Need to get the boys round and sort them out?

Our night our with Phoebe in LKF was in the newspaper yesterday.... hmmm...
Old 11-09-2011, 03:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dyip99
kcleung Hing,

Hello - ur right, for racing or spirited driving, on one would "coast" for the reason of either you want to be foot flat on the gas or you brake hard. But for day to day drive, I actually did it quite often when I had manual gearbox. I "coast" rarely now bcos someone said it might not be good for auto gearbox, no sure if it's true. My guess is the if the pdk can match the engine rev, wear on the clutch and gear will be small, I think it's a nice feature.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Senior Members

...and to be more precise to your ? during corning, skilled drivers need to 'balance the throttle', ie, to maintain speed round part of the corner. however, this is not coasting as one needs to skillfully apply a tiny bit of gas. if the drivers foot is completely off the gas, the car will decelerate. and if putting the gear in neutral, the driver will have much less control of the car. guess thats what you meant by not recommended in motor racing.

r u switching camp to porsche as well?

Originally Posted by kcleung
Hello - ur right, for racing or spirited driving, on one would "coast" for the reason of either you want to be foot flat on the gas or you brake hard. But for day to day drive, I actually did it quite often when I had manual gearbox. I "coast" rarely now bcos someone said it might not be good for auto gearbox, no sure if it's true. My guess is the if the pdk can match the engine rev, wear on the clutch and gear will be small, I think it's a nice feature.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Contributors

better lay low just go up to China more.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kcleung
KC I saw you old car in TKO, it was a black 1 and it was going fast could not keep up with it.So light and fast on the pickup.
He must done some mods on it.
Have you seen the new 1 so F@#king ugly
Attached Thumbnails Hong Kong E60 sub-Forum-910002.jpg   Hong Kong E60 sub-Forum-lancia-delta-monte-carlo.jpg  
Old 11-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Senior Members

the car is just 1200kg, 6.xs 0-60mph, a lot of traction round bends. brings back good memory, man.

think the new one is based on some model of chrysler

Originally Posted by pinguhk
KC I saw you old car in TKO, it was a black 1 and it was going fast could not keep up with it.So light and fast on the pickup.
He must done some mods on it.
Have you seen the new 1 so F@#king ugly

Quick Reply: Hong Kong E60 sub-Forum