E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Holy effing cr@p....anything else I should be expecting?!?!!?

Old 11-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holy effing cr@p....anything else I should be expecting?!?!!?

2005 545i, 70k, well maintained. 5k miles ago it had to go into the shop for oil leaking into a cylinder and some other stuff. Now I have a Dynamic Drive malfunction with the lights blinking and all hell breaking loose (low tire pressure warning, radio flickering, steering getting difficult) that I have to bring this car in for.

What other fun and expensive things do I get to look forward to in the future!!?!?!?!?!!?

Signed,

effing frustrated...

(sorry, I am just really frustrated at this point...but in all honesty I love my Bimmer)
Old 11-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Contributors

Replace Alternator.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Members

"steering getting difficult" - it could be just the drive belt
Old 11-08-2012, 04:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i

Battery?
Old 11-08-2012, 04:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by DKNewYork
Replace Alternator.
Yup, not enough juice to run the systems. Steering difficulty is your Active Steering going out. Radio flickers, then eventually goes dark. Not too long after, your car will shut down and leave you scratching your noggin (ask me how I know lol). If not the alternator, it could be a faulty charge relay (located in the boot/trunk fuse area above the battery), or even a faulty IBS. Chances are though, its a faulty alty. And boy is it fun to change!

Last edited by advancedlogic; 11-08-2012 at 04:22 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i 2004, SMG, Sport, Nav, Logic-7, Bluetooth phone retrofit

There's the Famous Coolant Pipe that fails anywhere from about 75k up. Mine went at 112k. Alternator bracket gasket, valve cover gaskets, timing cover gaskets, and numerous other seals. Hydraulic sway bars. Maintenance items coming due include fuel filter, plugs, transmission fluid, expansion tank, thermostat, big coolant hoses, water pump, crankcase vent valves, any vacuum hoses you can get your hands on. No vacations for a while, and you may have to cut back on food. I wound up selling my firstborn into slavery, and pimping for my mother. Tried to sell my liver, but couldn't get a good offer for it.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:03 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Originally Posted by ccrellin
2005 545i, ...
...but in all honesty I love my Bimmer)
Have the battery load tested and alternator tested as well. One of them definitely is on it's way out. It's not a bad idea to go ahead and replace the battery if it is the original battery on the car.

And a minor correction, BMW motorcycles are referred as Bimmers.
BMW cars are referred as Beemers. Don't ask me why...
Old 11-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Members
Senior Members

sorry guys im a rookie with active steering but sometimes when i put the car in reverse and wanna reverse the active steering gets locked and i cant move but it happens rarely is that the belt or what
Old 11-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i 2004, SMG, Sport, Nav, Logic-7, Bluetooth phone retrofit

The "active" part of active steering is electrical, so that's nothing to do with the belt. No idea what it is though, sorry...

Just for interest, if you have active suspension, your PS pump is a dual pump. I believe. It has a low-pressure part for the steering and a high-pressure part for the hydraulic sway bars. They use the same fluid (CHF-11S) from the same reservoir. Probably nothing to do with your problem though.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Wolrab
The "active" part of active steering is electrical, so that's nothing to do with the belt. No idea what it is though, sorry...

Just for interest, if you have active suspension, your PS pump is a dual pump. I believe. It has a low-pressure part for the steering and a high-pressure part for the hydraulic sway bars. They use the same fluid (CHF-11S) from the same reservoir. Probably nothing to do with your problem though.
i called some mechanic he said it might be the pump but he said he needs to diagnose but i check with another mechanic already no error codes

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Holy effing cr@p....anything else I should be expecting?!?!!?