E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Hollow Metal tube rattle in the interior?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 09:35 AM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54
Default Hollow Metal tube rattle in the interior?

I am out f luck in finding the cause of this. My car is a 2008 E60 XI and the sound comes and goes depending on the vibration of the car. It sounds like a heavy metal tube hitting/rattling on metal. First I thought it was coming from the trunk while the rear armrest was open, then I closed it and it's still around. Looked in obvious dash for anything loose in glove compartment etc... nothing.

It :seems: like if I bang the armrest with my fist I can get a little bit of a rattle, but I don't think it is coming from inside there.

Anyone heard of a similar sound and have a place to start looking? Thankfully I do mostly highway driving so it's not apparent but I'd love to get to the bottom of this.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:57 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Silver,Gray, Metallic. Blk Dakota leather. Nav. Heads up disply. PDC. Pro logic 7 sound. 35% tint. Mods. MTECH body kit. OEM trunk finisher and M5 spoiler.OEM 166 wheels. Blk and wht CF Roundels. Orion V2 AEs. LCI taillights with Ricky effect. LED interior lights. LED license plate light. HID fogs. Smoked LED side markers. White cluster mod. Coding. RPI scoop & BMC filter. Gloss black OEM grills.CF interior trim. B&B exhaust.

It's probably the sunroof wind deflector.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:07 AM
New Members

Hmm I would never have thought to look at that. I will check tomorrow when I go to work if the spring is loose. . I'm assuming no special way to check it?
Old 01-11-2015, 11:11 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by deansimpson
It's probably the sunroof wind deflector.
this^^^

https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...ttling-101320/
Old 01-11-2015, 12:15 PM
New Members

I had my hopes up. .. but it seems that mostly this problem is only when the sunroof is open or tilted. . I have it with it closed. I noticed my roof is very noisy with the shade opened, which I read was the seal even though mine looks quite flush.

I'll still try to see if it is any better or worse tomorrow. .even with the freezing Temps outside.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:35 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 530Xi
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by rice_rocket88
I had my hopes up. .. but it seems that mostly this problem is only when the sunroof is open or tilted. . I have it with it closed. I noticed my roof is very noisy with the shade opened, which I read was the seal even though mine looks quite flush.

I'll still try to see if it is any better or worse tomorrow. .even with the freezing Temps outside.
Sunroof gasket needs replacement.
https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...nt-diy-132606/

I had the rattle sound similar to that before, always thought is was in the trunk. But turn out it was cheap brake pads with flimsy retainer brackets from Autozone. Does the sound stop when you applying brake?if it does, replace the rear pad with a better high end set like Akebono Ceramic Etc... if not then investigate some more.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:41 PM
New Members

It's definitely not the pads. . Before and after I did a full brake job I still have it. I did find the sunroof gasket link. .maybe in the spring. I'm really hoping that it's the wind deflector still. .at least two people in the thread had it when closed.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:58 PM
New Members

with the sunroof in vent position, try sticking your fingers in the front of the sunroof. My rattle stops when I do this - although mine doesn't rattle with the sunroof closed...
Old 01-13-2015, 02:27 PM
New Members

Well... good news is I can't reproduce the sound right now. Bad news is I don't know if I did anything. I flicked the metal piece around and it sort of sounded close to the sound I described. It flipped around freely with no binding. No noise open or closed or vented. Next time I hear it I'll push on it. Thanks for the help for now. .I'm hoping this was it!
Old 01-14-2015, 06:11 PM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by rice_rocket88
Well... good news is I can't reproduce the sound right now. Bad news is I don't know if I did anything. I flicked the metal piece around and it sort of sounded close to the sound I described. It flipped around freely with no binding. No noise open or closed or vented. Next time I hear it I'll push on it. Thanks for the help for now. .I'm hoping this was it!
I bet it is you sunroof though, when I got the rattle it sounded more like it was coming from the transmission area to me, hard to actually believe it was the sunroof spoiler bangin the glass, just adjusted it a bit and never heard it again.
Good luck with it

Quick Reply: Hollow Metal tube rattle in the interior?